Massey Ferguson

Not necessarily it could isolate everything and require a manual switch to reengage. Although I suspect there is something keeping radio and computer memory alive.
You have me thinking now. I like the idea of being able to isolate at the push of a button in the cab with say a delay relay, but did not want anything live anywhere after the battery being isolated For complete peace of mind. A local manual switch back in would be fine though.

You have me thinking now. I like the idea of being able to isolate at the push of a button in the cab with say a delay relay, but did not want anything live anywhere after the battery being isolated For complete peace of mind. A local manual switch back in would be fine though.

there is one of these automatic switches in our valtra, you’d hear the big click after 30 seconds of the key being out, I’d imagine it will be in all new tractors

Not necessarily it could isolate everything and require a manual switch to reengage. Although I suspect there is something keeping radio and computer memory alive.
@Ian might know the story but I think the radios in newer Massey's have some sort of battery to keep their memory, i vaguely remember someone having issues when they tried to put a Bluetooth radio in one and needed to get a specific type one off the dealer for a finish

Had to change the radio in mine as it lost it memory when the isolator killed the power ,well thats not strictly true I think its the earth that it interupts.

Interesting though that with that set up or similar electric operated isolator you still have some wire live in the system I presume?
Whereas with the mechanical Switch you have everything dead.
It has to be automatic as when you turn off the tractor the adblu pump keeps running to drain the system . Manual can’t be used for that reason.

Any of the newer massey with auto kill switch will need a radio with built in batt for to store the memory when it kills the power as there is no fuse to power them like the older 64 74 series. 76 77 series is isolated on earth side unlike 54 64 74 which were on the live . So only relay in isolater gets constant power . Alot of dealers fit different brand radios now as ppl want bluetooth and the like so normally cheaper to get them themselves but thru agco when i was at dealers it was clarion as it a nice few pound cheaper than gettin it factory fitted . So datatronic and radios have a built in memory battery

Last edited:
Worked out quite handy for me at the time ,did a swop they were needing a radio for a Loadall paid the difference they were both Clarion just a higher spec with the new one.

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6290/25062881
MDg4NjcwNDA0NjQ1YzRjNDUxYTVkY2EwMDMwYWI3YjTF7OK_Xn4zLXIFaXbVd_0jaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDg4MDUyNjF8fHwxMjAweDEyMDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

not many about with front sus

What do you guys think of the Massey 6400 series?

Have a friend looking for a heavier tractor than a MF4255 for his own slurry work and some bale drawing. Would it be a heavier tractor than the 4255?
It would also be used for feeding. The 4255 is pretty compact for putting in bales. Would a 6455 be neat enough for yard work?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6455-dyna-6/24670634

ZTcyYzdiZDdmYWFhYmMwZGRmZWY2MTJjZGFhM2U1ZWUxF4UWQOKKaqLekg3vt-BhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDU4MjQ4MTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg

There is a 6455 a couple of miles away for 2 years since a 390T burnt . I never heard anything bad about it and they love it compared to the 390.
There are 3 6465s near as well . A lovely size of tractor for a stock farmer .
1 drives a JF900 at own silage , and mows with a JD1365.
Another has a new Rossmore loader fitted and bales their own silage with a McHale 550 and mows with a JD 1365.
The other is at tillage work .

What do you guys think of the Massey 6400 series?

Have a friend looking for a heavier tractor than a MF4255 for his own slurry work and some bale drawing. Would it be a heavier tractor than the 4255?
It would also be used for feeding. The 4255 is pretty compact for putting in bales. Would a 6455 be neat enough for yard work?

https://www.donedeal.ie/tractors-for-sale/massey-ferguson-6455-dyna-6/24670634

ZTcyYzdiZDdmYWFhYmMwZGRmZWY2MTJjZGFhM2U1ZWUxF4UWQOKKaqLekg3vt-BhaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b18xNDU4MjQ4MTd8fHw2MDB4NjAwfHx8fHx8fHw=.jpeg
6400's are a good tractor, but heavy enough and and the gearbox soaks up a good bit of hp, as does any modern powershift. A 6455 will feel a bit numb compared to a 4255 because of the extra weight and power loss.
A good tractor, but no big step forward power wise.

6400's are a good tractor, but heavy enough and and the gearbox soaks up a good bit of hp, as does any modern powershift. A 6455 will feel a bit numb compared to a 4255 because of the extra weight and power loss.
A good tractor, but no big step forward power wise.

Power isn't a big issue for him. He feels that the 4255 is very light for the tanker and the bale trailer and wants something heavier that won't be thrown about as much by it.

Power isn't a big issue for him. He feels that the 4255 is very light for the tanker and the bale trailer and wants something heavier that won't be thrown about as much by it.
It will be a massive improvement then, will use a nice bit more diesel, but the improvement in comfort and safety will be vast. The election lift will take a good bit of getting use to, if he had someone to ring when in bother it would be a big help. There are little processes for most operations on the lift and for the first few times they can seem daunting and if you are not using all the functions regularly you can forget the way to do them. The electronic lift system can do so many things in so many different ways it can seem complicated at first, but they all become easy after a while. One of the biggest issues is most sales men and mechanics don't know how to work them properly and the operators manual is translated from french.

A good tractor, we used to ave a 6465, I wud think the 55 wud be under powered to be honest, we got our 65 mapped but we had a fusion on her, but if it doesn’t seem dead on the road when he’s test driving it up hills he mite find it good, it’s a nice bit taller than a 4255 and a bit wider but overall it shud be good for yard work. It’s a much nicer tractor to drive he’ll never go back to a 4255 again.

It will be a massive improvement then, will use a nice bit more diesel, but the improvement in comfort and safety will be vast. The election lift will take a good bit of getting use to, if he had someone to ring when in bother it would be a big help. There are little processes for most operations on the lift and for the first few times they can seem daunting and if you are not using all the functions regularly you can forget the way to do them. The electronic lift system can do so many things in so many different ways it can seem complicated at first, but they all become easy after a while. One of the biggest issues is most sales men and mechanics don't know how to work them properly and the operators manual is translated from french.

What about turning circle and use around the yard for feeding bales etc. Its still a 4 cylinder so should be nimble enough right?

What about turning circle and use around the yard for feeding bales etc. Its still a 4 cylinder so should be nimble enough right?
Shouldn't be a big difference between the 4255 and the 6455, the 6455 is physically a small bit bigger in every way, but has the same lock so there will only be a small bit in it.

A 64 will have much bigger lift capability too so as well as steadier on slurry tank would be more capable on a twin bale lifter and the like!!

Back