Knife sharpener.

Tis about 13yrs since I last used one with the lad I worked for they were a good job but you’d have to be careful to not go too hard on the knifes as the knife would burn and you’d lose edge very fast.

Tis about 13yrs since I last used one with the lad I worked for they were a good job but you’d have to be careful to not go too hard on the knifes as the knife would burn and you’d lose edge very fast.

Imo the most important thing to remember about sharpening knives is to sharpen them little and often. Its easier keep the beval on a regularly sharpened knife than a blunt one. Having to go hard on the knife is a sure way to take the temper out of it.

No won’t do the serated side only the bevel side . Grinder for touching up that side of need be .
6480 is right will only do the bevel side
Imo the most important thing to remember about sharpening knives is to sharpen them little and often. Its easier keep the beval on a regularly sharpened knife than a blunt one. Having to go hard on the knife is a sure way to take the temper out of it.
Peter is spot on little and often is the secret

6480 is right will only do the bevel side
Peter is spot on little and often is the secret
How often you edging them . I try and stick to every 4/500 bales they get a rub . Try been the word . It really depends on everything other than grass you have to chop that kills a set of knives .

thankless job at the best of times....
little and often ,you need to be able to touch the blade with your hand,if you cant its too hot

I only do 800-1000 bales a year, but the flap disc does me. Doesn't heat the metal at all if you go easy.

Is our old friend not making one anymore?
To be fair, i think it was regarded by many as the best machine on the market.

I do my own at 4/500 too and I tell fellas that I edge knives for the same not many listen

You would know very quickly with the wagon or the silage harvester if the knifes needed to be sharpened. I suppose its different with the baler as you cant see how long the grass is in the bale. Its far easier on chains and diesel too when all the knives are sharp.

I had a goweil and got rid of it, get a local dealership to do it in liquid now, couldn’t compare how long they stay sharp for.

Goweil 1s are good job alright and you can see the differance in orginal brand blades and spurious 1s very easy. The original 1s take a nice clean edge towards spurious 1 dont edge aswel we had customer who had 2 sets used 1 orginal and 1 spurious used to leave in to get sharpened begining of every season genuine 1s took lovely edge with few passes and spuriois 1s took twice as long to sharpen but never had a clean edge on them

Was waiting to long on the Agriknives sharpener so bought the Goweil Sharpner off donedeal Kelly's of Screenshot_20200605-232826_Photos.jpg Kilkenny last week no liquid but If take bit of time it doesn't heat the blades. Serious job and good value. Paid for already as had over 200 old blades lol. Cant really fault it easy setup and once jig is set simple to use.

Was waiting to long on the Agriknives sharpener so bought the Goweil Sharpner off donedeal Kelly's of View attachment 78963 Kilkenny last week no liquid but If take bit of time it doesn't heat the blades. Serious job and good value. Paid for already as had over 200 old blades lol. Cant really fault it easy setup and once jig is set simple to use.
Sturdy workbench:weld::Thumbp2:

Back