Winter wheat 2020

Western crows would be very hungry . It would be like the Connaught final with them coming from all counties. Each field would need their own air defense system. People think this Tillage farming is easy.
They are hungry here alright, that’s why the sowing rates do be so high this side. @CORK ya I might go for the barley instead, someone just said it’s easier establish wheat in a wet winter than barley I honestly haven’t a clue I never grew it. Growing spring barley here and oats for a long time but just increasing now as tillage suits my job better than livestock. I have a video at home of my grand father on the program landmark cutting barley here in 1977 with a bag combine but like I said there was never a winter crop here so don’t know much else than spring barley

Is this the ground with the poorer fertility? How about oats in it then?

As a lapsed tillage farmer , on slightly heavier ground , I think think the oats would be my choice, in your situation .
It won't break the bank for inputs , should yield well , especially if you are keeping the grain for your own use and for your location , will yield plenty of straw.

I sowed winter oats , winter barley and winter wheat .
Oats ticks all the boxes .
Barley can be very good if fertility good , and ground conditions good at sowing . If ground hungry , and or slopping it in , forget about winter barley .
Winter wheat can really do the business , IF, fertlity is reasonably good , but you'd need a PHD or @Bog Man , or other residents of the Banana Belt walking the crop , to know what lotions , potions , and vast quantities of fertiliser to pelt at it , to get its full potential.

@Masseyrk662

Last edited:
Found this volenteer plant of avatar along the edge of winter barley, shows how much wheat can tiller out if it has space. I counted 20 strong tillers and a few small ones.

Attachments

• IMG_20200621_123349.jpg
    IMG_20200621_123349.jpg
    300.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_20200621_123337.jpg
    IMG_20200621_123337.jpg
    323.3 KB · Views: 40
As a lapsed tillage farmer , on slightly heavier ground , I think think the oats would be my choice, in your situation .
It won't break the bank for inputs , should yield well , especially if you are keeping the grain for your own use and for your location , will yield plenty of straw.

I sowed winter oats , winter barley and winter wheat .
Oats ticks all the boxes .
Barley can be very good if fertility good , and ground conditions good at sowing . If ground hungry , and or slopping it in , forget about winter barley .
Winter wheat can really do the business , IF, fertlity is reasonably good , but you'd need a PHD or @Bog Man , or other residents of the Banana Belt walking the crop , to know what lotions , potions , and vast quantities of fertiliser to pelt at it , to get its full potential.

@Masseyrk662
Maybe oats then, the thing that put me off oats is no one this side seems to grow winter oats only winter barley and winter wheat. I don’t keep any grain here anymore it’s all sold on, too much hardship in it when your not set up properly for it, everything goes either privately to beef lots or the co-op, but as I said it’s only been barley here before

Maybe oats then, the thing that put me off oats is no one this side seems to grow winter oats only winter barley and winter wheat. I don’t keep any grain here anymore it’s all sold on, too much hardship in it when your not set up properly for it, everything goes either privately to beef lots or the co-op, but as I said it’s only been barley here before
Oats are a hardy crop and with plenty of pgr to keep it down it isn't bad for lodging. Less inputs then barley as well. Just make sure you have an outlet for the grain.

That’s all well and good but sow those low rates and the Black grass and Sterile Brome will tiller to fill in the gaps . These weeds were not a problem when sowing 14 stone to the acre in good conditions in mid October. What you save on seed you will spend ten times as much on weed control.
I would sow 8 stone in good conditions and cannot remember what I sowed in 2019 but I think it was near 12 . I think you can go a bit lighter when ploughing.

Back