Buying a tractor from England

Mf310

Well lads cant find any thread fully towards importing a tractor so just putting it up here now have seen a few different lads post on this forum that theyv imported tractors from england so might get a few informed opinions. Have seen and heard of all the scams but would be well clued in anyway and will be giving the tractor a good inspection.
Main question is what site do lads actually browse for tractors? Iv been on Agriaffaires but it seems theres a lot of france/Germany based tractors on it than English tractors, for example I put in for a massey 5470 and there is only one coming up in England.
Do lads over there use main dealer websites more so than a donedeal type of site?
Currently looking at second hand tractors but cant find one in the right spec and budget here so just looking further afield.
Thanks in advance

for general browsing i tend to stick with the sellers websites like ernest doe, gm stephensons, sharmans, jr firby, etc. my old man gets the wrights register every month and has dealt with 1 of the middlemen they have set up in particular areas (ie. one will deal with the south of uk, another in west and so on)

Well lads cant find any thread fully towards importing a tractor so just putting it up here now have seen a few different lads post on this forum that theyv imported tractors from england so might get a few informed opinions. Have seen and heard of all the scams but would be well clued in anyway and will be giving the tractor a good inspection.
Main question is what site do lads actually browse for tractors? Iv been on Agriaffaires but it seems theres a lot of france/Germany based tractors on it than English tractors, for example I put in for a massey 5470 and there is only one coming up in England.
Do lads over there use main dealer websites more so than a donedeal type of site?
Currently looking at second hand tractors but cant find one in the right spec and budget here so just looking further afield.
Thanks in advance
What model tractor are you looking for and some people might be able to point you in the direction of certain dealers. Dealers in the UK nearly all have good regularly updated websites, much better than here. The farmmachinery locator website would throw up a few options normally, a lot of them have good FB pages too, I've bought three tractors from the UK, one off the FW, one I found at a dealers in Inverness by just googling TM155 and filtering to latest results which brought me to the link to their website and one through the other forum.

What model tractor are you looking for and some people might be able to point you in the direction of certain dealers. Dealers in the UK nearly all have good regularly updated websites, much better than here. The farmmachinery locator website would throw up a few options normally, a lot of them have good FB pages too, I've bought three tractors from the UK, one off the FW, one I found at a dealers in Inverness by just googling TM155 and filtering to latest results which brought me to the link to their website and one through the other forum.
Massey 5470 /John deere 6430/ Deutz 6130.4 , no real preference to be honest just trying to get the best bang for buck Deadly will try facebook and a few websites

Avoid the west of England,you get a far cleaner tractor from the east were it doesn’t rain as much,unfortunately a 6430 isn’t really an arable tractor size from the east.

You'll struggle to find that size tractor in the arable areas alright. Might be a few pulling sprayers.

This firm is on FB. They seem to take a lot of trade in's off dealers, seems a lot of their gear goes over the water.
https://www.facebook.com/AFMTractors/

This one is another seems to have some very clean gear coming in. Could drive one to the ferry from his too!
https://www.facebook.com/alwynthomastractors.co.uk/

Farmers weekly online has good classifieds adverts, lots of dealers in there too. (fwi.co.uk)

The first dealer there sent a very clean Lambo your way last week. Was a mates tractor and not worked hard at all. Not sure was it to a dealer or farm.

You'll struggle to find that size tractor in the arable areas alright. Might be a few pulling sprayers.

This firm is on FB. They seem to take a lot of trade in's off dealers, seems a lot of their gear goes over the water.
https://www.facebook.com/AFMTractors/

This one is another seems to have some very clean gear coming in. Could drive one to the ferry from his too!
https://www.facebook.com/alwynthomastractors.co.uk/

Farmers weekly online has good classifieds adverts, lots of dealers in there too. (fwi.co.uk)
Bought the Landini here from AFM. Sound fellow to deal with. Has decent gear. Telford is handy for the boat too.

Reactions: AYF
What would the terms be with a lad like that?
Does he handle the payments with a chunk both sides?
He would get a payment from the person selling the machine and not the person buying as his customers are the sellers. He isn't much of middleman but a broker if there's any difference

He would get a payment from the person selling the machine and not the person buying as his customers are the sellers. He isn't much of middleman but a broker if there's any difference
See what you mean.
He's advertising on behalf of the farms not searching on behalf of the buyer

Are there lads who would view a machine to give an oppinion on?
Mate of mine did a 600 mile round trip in a day to see a machine recently. Awful long way!

See what you mean.
He's advertising on behalf of the farms not searching on behalf of the buyer

Are there lads who would view a machine to give an oppinion on?
Mate of mine did a 600 mile round trip in a day to see a machine recently. Awful long way!
Hope he fitted a few other machines into that trip. One of those trips where you think you should buy the machine after to make the trip seem not like a waste.
For your question, use Shaun as an example, he would've looked at the machine himself as it's himself that took the photos for the ads

Hope he fitted a few other machines into that trip. One of those trips where you think you should buy the machine after to make the trip seem not like a waste.
For your question, use Shaun as an example, he would've looked at the machine himself as it's himself that took the photos for the ads

See what you mean. But the seller asked him.

If say you wanted to bring a machine over and saw one advertised in the South East of England (can't get much firther) on a farm.

Are there lads too call who would go and inspect it on your behalf?

I think I may give that lad a run for his money when I went to look at the TM, drove 363km to Belfast City Airport, flew to Inverness and looked at the tractor, flight home got diverted via Liverpool, got back into Belfast and drove the 363km home, think I was up 21hrs or so and there was plenty of drama too, a day I won't forgot, luckily the tractor was good.

See what you mean. But the seller asked him.

If say you wanted to bring a machine over and saw one advertised in the South East of England (can't get much firther) on a farm.

Are there lads too call who would go and inspect it on your behalf?
I'm not sure on that unless there's a family friend out that direction that's also into machines. The few times dad went through the broker, he looked at the machines himself as he was already over there going to an auction or 2

@Mf310 have a look at the likes of Robson Tractors, Harrison Tractors and perhaps Morgan Machinery. GM Stephenson would be worth a nose too and Crickley Hill Tractors. RJ and KD McClean - http://www.tractorsandplant.com/ - are shifting a lot of stuff these days and are supposed to be gents to deal with.

https://www.crickleyhilltractors.co.uk/used-stock
http://www.robsontractors.co.uk/content/home-page
http://www.harrisontractors.co.uk/
[URL]http://www.worldtractors.co.uk/[/URL]
http://www.gmstephenson.co.uk/agricultural/tractors/

I found GM Stephenson has good gear and bought a tractor from him. Often has very low hour ones, probably on the bigger size but i have seen 6430s there too, always very clean stuff, you would find nothing as clean here.
The boss man is a bit mouthy, gave me a telling off for buying a tractor over the phone but then showed up to see it two days later. It made me suspicious about the tractor but still felt it was good so took it and glad i did, its been great.
Cost me €700 transport for tractor with loader and a plough, the VRT is €200 as Burdizzo has said above.

Last edited:
Done similar last year drove to belfast but got the ferry cairnryan then drove to perth . Looked at the tractor bought it drove back . Left limerick at 9 thursday night arrived back at 10 friday night .
I think I may give that lad a run for his money when I went to look at the TM, drove 363km to Belfast City Airport, flew to Inverness and looked at the tractor, flight home got diverted via Liverpool, got back into Belfast and drove the 363km home, think I was up 21hrs or so and there was plenty of drama too, a day I won't forgot, luckily the tractor was good.

Have often done the day trip over, would be a long 20 hr day by the time I’d leave home to get flights and back home the following am. Would always try have someone with me as at least if you are tired a driver can swap out for a short period. Have dealt with Robson , sharmans and Harrison tractors for tractors and have found them very good. Bought two tractors unseen but one thing about the newer John deeres out of the Uk is a lot of them are on power Gaurd warranty and I have a friend that can check out what has been done to tractors with the serial number. Have also traded a tractor back for another on a deal and all was done via picture and videos, worked out well but the dealer would be very genuine. Would always try go look if possible as pictures can be hide things. Normally 700 plus vat to get in a 200hp tractor , always make sure the haulier has the right insurance as if they don’t and something happens it could be an expensive lesson, not all hauliers have the right insurance even though they think they might have , maybe that’s why I pay a little more for haulage but I have had lots of expensive machines brought in and never any trouble.always try fly into busier airports that Ryanair work from as they are cheaper and car hire is cheaper also, Bristol is one of the cheapest, Manchester and Birmingham would also be cheap

Back