Ford 555 backhoe clutch problems

Supertwo

We've just put a new clutch and pressure plate into one of these and put it back together but it wont release the clutch enough to get any gears even when the clutch pedal is fully adjusted. So we split her again thinking that maybe the clutch plate was in the wrong way around but its hasnt made much difference.
Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks

We've just put a new clutch and pressure plate into one of these and put it back together but it wont release the clutch enough to get any gears even when the clutch pedal is fully adjusted. So we split her again thinking that maybe the clutch plate was in the wrong way around but its hasnt made much difference.
Has anyone come across a problem like this before? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks
Did it go up together ok? Splines on spigot shaft clean? New spigot bearing?

Did it go up together ok? Splines on spigot shaft clean? New spigot bearing?
Yes went together fine splines are good new spigot bearing too.
Ive come to the conclusion that the pressure plate is wrong that its for a tractor and that the digger one is different

I think you are right. When I split the 550 (many, many, years ago, to replace the gearbox), there was no simple solution to replacing the clutch. The main Ford dealer could get one, but it was far more expensive than a tractor one. Went to Noel O'Flynn in Cork City then, and there was some other issue.

For a finish the old one was put back in and it has worked the finest since.

I think you are right. When I split the 550 (many, many, years ago, to replace the gearbox), there was no simple solution to replacing the clutch. The main Ford dealer could get one, but it was far more expensive than a tractor one. Went to Noel O'Flynn in Cork City then, and there was some other issue.

For a finish the old one was put back in and it has worked the finest since.
Yes weve decided to get the original clutch and pressure plates refurbished and see how that goes

Back