Slatted tank installation

DAfarming

Hi, I am wondering has anyone ever installed a slatted tank into an existing solid floor cubicle house? And can it be done safely? We currently have an open slurry pit which does us fine but if it came to inspection we would not have enough storage on paper. Ideally we’d like to put the slatted tank into the shed as we are currently scraping out the passage with a tractor scraper and the tank would make things much easier. My father has said there is rock underneath the shed also, would this make it impossible to do the job in the shed?

If there is rock underneath all of it, i would forget about it anyway. All that vibrating could damage the existing shed not to mention the fact that it would be a tough gig for a digger man inside a building resulting in a higher cost. Would it be simpler to install a scraper and improve capacity outside ?

As posted if it’s rock forget it,stick auto scrapers in and dig a pit elsewhere ,ideally letting gravity fill it.

We dug out the muck passages next door and built tanks,was a mammoth job because we hit the water table.

If there is rock underneath all of it, i would forget about it anyway. All that vibrating could damage the existing shed not to mention the fact that it would be a tough gig for a digger man inside a building resulting in a higher cost. Would it be simpler to install a scraper and improve capacity outside ?
That’s looking like the only option now alright. I was hoping to avoid scrapers but I think putting the tank into the house would be too big of a job. I’ll probably have to go bigger with the tank if it’s outside to allow for the loss in storage for an uncovered tank. If I put the tank where the existing open slurry pit is would I still need to get planning permission for the tank?

Done a tank in 18 and 19 both inside in sheds . First was done with a a single sided shutter a lot of work but with the right builder it can be done . Now the roof was taken off that shed as it was too low for digging under and wanted to change the direction of the fall on the roof . Second one was put in to a hay barn plenty height and managed the width cause removed a row of pillars again . That was poured the traditional way shutters both side . Preparation is key prop your sheds before starting digging and it can be done . The fact you’ve rock makes it more difficult. Talk to a builder get his view on it .

That’s looking like the only option now alright. I was hoping to avoid scrapers but I think putting the tank into the house would be too big of a job. I’ll probably have to go bigger with the tank if it’s outside to allow for the loss in storage for an uncovered tank. If I put the tank where the existing open slurry pit is would I still need to get planning permission for the tank?
you shouldn't need planning if improving existing tank unless some other factor involved

Put the tank where there is no rock and you can the scrape the cubicle passage with a tractor scraper ideally you will need an easy feed .Most tanks are put outside cubicle house with standing area of easy slatted for cattle to stand on

If the cubicles are allready installed definitely but the tank outside where they will be eating. Where are they eating in current set up

Is extending the existing one and putting a roof over it an option?
Might not even need expanding with a roof?

Is extending the existing one and putting a roof over it an option?
Might not even need expanding with a roof?
We had been looking at rising the wall on the existing open slurry pit as the wall at the moment is only 1.2m high which when you take in freeboard of 300mm and rainwater there’s pretty much no storage at all. Roofing it could be an option but if we were going to the expense of roofing it we may as well do a right job and just put down a tank.

We had been looking at rising the wall on the existing open slurry pit as the wall at the moment is only 1.2m high which when you take in freeboard of 300mm and rainwater there’s pretty much no storage at all. Roofing it could be an option but if we were going to the expense of roofing it we may as well do a right job and just put down a tank.
Don't know the ins and outs of slurry storing tbh.
Do they take rain into account 'just in case' with a roof?
Less volume to spread also.

If the cubicles are allready installed definitely but the tank outside where they will be eating. Where are they eating in current set up
The feed passage is parallel with the cubicles
Don't know the ins and outs of slurry storing tbh.
Do they take rain into account 'just in case' with a roof?
Less volume to spread also.
No they don’t take rain into account if it’s roofed so it would make a big difference, I just don’t know whether roofing it would be worth it..going forward would a slatted tank be easier manage

Had an open tank here same as yours 4ft deep . Best thing we done was knock it . Take out freeboard and the amount of rain it was collecting there was no room for slurry .

Can you drop the floor in the old tank or is it on top of rock aswell? We had a dung stead here that was also used for slurry. It fell from the front to the back to 8 ft deep. We dug it out and it's now 9ft at the front

Back