Lime on reseed

rodders

Going to reseed 4 acre field, sprayed it of on Saturday, want to slurry and lime it, would it be ok to put slurry out next week, plough it then till, then lime before sowing?

yes, even if ph is good. The rotting sod becomes very acid for a short while
X2 on that.

I've also learnt that lime sfter sowing can cap on top of soil if it rains, slowing germination badly. Mix it in is best.

yes, even if ph is good. The rotting sod becomes very acid for a short while
I have a bit of ground sprayed for reseeding . It got ground limestone 2 years ago.
Im not ploughing, just harrowing/mini-till.
Would you recommend more ground limestone or would Granular lime suffice.

I have a bit of ground sprayed for reseeding . It got ground limestone 2 years ago.
if the ph is good i would chance 2 or 3 bags per acre of granlime. Costs nearly as much as a ton of li.e though

Still want lime. If was me ground lime more of a long term benefit from it. Might have been ok 2 years ago but with what rain we got over the winter lime can get washed out

Ahh, I was always going to put out some sort of lime.
Just with the weather being dodgy and this is midlin sort of land, it's tricky just to get ground limestone spread when you want.
I could spread the granular myself.

Ahh, I was always going to put out some sort of lime.
Just with the weather being dodgy and this is midlin sort of land, it's tricky just to get ground limestone spread when you want.
I could spread the granular myself.
The only thing is say is I am not sure if the gran lime will have the same effect on the sod as ground lime. Ground lime will help break down the sod and take acidity out of it. Am sure someone here will know

Always use Gran Lime when reseeding, primarily because it would be some waste to bring in someone with a proper lime spreader and loader to spread lime on say a 10 acre field, maybe only 20T going out in total like. With the Gran Lime I spread it myself with the fertiliser shaker. If anything, going by the research, Gran Lime is actually better on a reseed as it supposedly works quicker than ground limestone. Ground limestone will give more of an effect long term though so if you are having issues with ph then you would be better off going with the ground limestone to improve things. The other thing to say is that the quality of ground limestone can be very variable from some operators.

i know you can spread it yourself but its 10x the price of gran
A ton of Gran Lime is not the same as a ton of ground lime. Spreading 2 50kg bags per acre of Gran Lime is what is recommended at reseeding. I think in general terms that this is roughly the same as spreading 1.5Ton of Ground Lime at reseeding per acre from what I can see. Don't know where you are getting the 10x the price comparison. So when the gran lime is priced at roughly 340 euro per ton is actually works out at roughly 34 euro per acre at 100kgs to the acre. Ground lime spread in my area is roughly 25 euro per ton spread which at 1.5Ton to the acre is 37.50 euro per acre. I hope you were not comparing the two products at the same application rate as they are not of the same composition.

Gran lime is nothing more than finely ground limestone pressed into neat little prills. Standard ground limestone is 40% fines (which is what gran lime is made with). 1.5 tonne of ground limestone will give you 600kg of fines (plus 900kg coarse ground for lasting effect). How in the fires of hell is your 100kg of gran lime going to compete with that? Don't get caught up by the marketing talk.

Seeing as I work in the industry that produces ground lime, I think you are being slightly fanciful if you think that all 1.5T is lime, whether fines or coarse ground. But from the point of view of reducing the acidity at reseeding, I would indeed be very confident that the 100kg per acre will compete just fine immediately and will do the job intended, but long term obviously the ground lime will have a more long lasting effect on soil ph.

Seeing as I work in the industry that produces ground lime, I think you are being slightly fanciful if you think that all 1.5T is lime, whether fines or coarse ground. But from the point of view of reducing the acidity at reseeding, I would indeed be very confident that the 100kg per acre will compete just fine immediately and will do the job intended, but long term obviously the ground lime will have a more long lasting effect on soil ph.
if 100kgs of prilled lime was the equivilent of 1 ton of ground lime then it would be so caustic it would rot machinery and burn your skin
prilled lime is very fine ground limestone and is at best a quick hit
there is no way 150 kgs of prilled can match 2t of ground

A ton of Gran Lime is not the same as a ton of ground lime. Spreading 2 50kg bags per acre of Gran Lime is what is recommended at reseeding. I think in general terms that this is roughly the same as spreading 1.5Ton of Ground Lime at reseeding per acre from what I can see. Don't know where you are getting the 10x the price comparison. So when the gran lime is priced at roughly 340 euro per ton is actually works out at roughly 34 euro per acre at 100kgs to the acre. Ground lime spread in my area is roughly 25 euro per ton spread which at 1.5Ton to the acre is 37.50 euro per acre. I hope you were not comparing the two products at the same application rate as they are not of the same composition.
:lol::lol::lol:

The other issue with granulated lime is it is so quick to act you can drive the pH too high for a period after application if heavily applied, so it must be applied little and often. The ground lime as already mentioned has a mix of fast and slow acting particles

Back