Winter wheat 2020

Just goes to show the potential in wheat, I’d love to know his full approach from start to finish and what he put on and when to see could we pick up a few bits, regardless of his cost of production per tonne I’d much rather 7T an acre than 3.5T, think of the women......
You’d be a complete and utter Billy Big Balls if you managed the 7tn. Champagne lifestyle here we come, breakfast in bed in Kelly’s, all the 99 Ice Creams you can eat. Happy days.

Just goes to show the potential in wheat, I’d love to know his full approach from start to finish and what he put on and when to see could we pick up a few bits, regardless of his cost of production per tonne I’d much rather 7T an acre than 3.5T, think of the women......
I believe the crop had 126 plants/m2 with ten tillers per plant!
I think I have about 126 plants/m2 in some of ours this year, that’s about all I have in common with the NZ crop though....

This is the NZ crop.
05F14462-5528-4016-B14B-E82EFD0369F0.jpeg 8429042E-55D8-4664-A18F-EAB62F809DB1.jpeg

I think with that world record in wheat they use a yield monitor on the combine and some part of a field they get that top weight and it's recorded but if you average the whole field it would be much lower.

I think with that world record in wheat they use a yield monitor on the combine and some part of a field they get that top weight and it's recorded but if you average the whole field it would be much lower.
I don’t believe this is the case. Spot yields on a combine yield monitor would not be thorough enough for a Guinness world record.

They do use a yield monitor but he said the monitor in his combine isn’t 100% accurate. He also said that the rules & preparation for the record attempt were quite complex so I’d say it must be well verified.

Mildew and septoria must not be much an issue in that area, if either got hold in a crop like that it would be all over
Looking at the pics above, I find it hard to believe that there are over 1000 ears/m2. However, they look extremely full. Very good looking width and length in them.

I find it interesting looking at different wheat varieties trying to understand where the extra yield comes from.
Obviously there are a number of factors at play.
If I could achieve the big square full heads but also a high density of such heads then you’re well on the way.
Unfortunately, normally when you get a high density the ears are shorter and have 3 grains across the spiklet as opposed to 5 on big ears with space around them.

I believe the crop had 126 plants/m2 with ten tillers per plant!
I think I have about 126 plants/m2 in some of ours this year, that’s about all I have in common with the NZ crop though....

This is the NZ crop.
View attachment 80241 View attachment 80242

It’s a great achievement to attain a yield like that. The fact that it was irrigated takes from it a bit though.

It’s a great achievement to attain a yield like that. The fact that it was irrigated takes from it a bit though.
Plenty of Sunshine and irrigation..... Thought I read somewhere that when wheat is sown it starts with a max potential of 20 ton per acre, it’s how the crop is managed after that dictates how much of that can be achieved!!!!!!!!

I wonder is the local weather data available to get an idea of the solar radiation during grain filling? Met.ie isnt doing much for the Southern Hemisphere.

This was applied to the crop apparently
FA8DD9C3-B616-47AF-B6D3-35D427AD4516.jpeg

2375 kgs of fert a hectare, Jesus that's crazy. You'd need over a tonne and a half an acre to pay for the fert and whatever it cost for the application
Am I right that it works out at 242 units an acre? Not unreal excessive, given the tons produced. They have 20 hours of daylight in mid-summer, heat and unlimited water. The nearest equivalent to here is Scotland where they have had record yields too.

Wheat so far.
Average yield 7.6t/ha.
Average moisture 11.7%.
Average bushel 79kph.
Average protein 12.9%.

All over the weighbridge and divided into sfp acres.

Should be finished today but the air con in the combine sprung a leak. Should finish tomorrow.

The variety Absalon cut well above the average. Four different blocks of it did an average of 8.8t/ha with proteins of 12.4%. It was the only variety that got no fungicide and was clean to the bottom.
@CORK might have it on trial?

Last edited:
2375 kgs of fert a hectare, Jesus that's crazy. You'd need over a tonne and a half an acre to pay for the fert and whatever it cost for the application
Yep, 240 units N/acre. Certainly not crazy in my view.

Equivalent in simple terms of applying 120 units of N to achieve 3.5tn of spring barley. Getting 3.5tn of barley from 120 units isn’t easy but can be achieved when everything is going right.

Back