best 4x4

recycled

most farms have 1 and on some hill farms there more important and more used than tractors but whats the best and whats the worst 4x4 whats there good points and bad points , is yours your main personal transport or do you have a car for comfort as well . were the old ones better than the more modern type or are the new all singing all dancing 4x4s with carpets on the floor the way to go . im talking about the ones you can drive to the shops in the morning and up the side of a hill in the afternoon not an out and out offroader
my personal favourite is the 110 landrover . a farm i was on a wheen of years ago bought a brand new 1 with the tdi5 diesel engine in it ,at the time it was the livelyest diesel engine id come across , could certainly beat the local taxis away from the lights :thumbup1:

yes but why? whats wrong with them ? which double cab ? ive seen a landrover double cab before why havent they taken of like they have with pickups

Landrovers are the root of all evil mate and there getting pushed out of the market now!! Double cabs are europes best selling vehicle for the simple reason that you can work them hard all day then still take your family out in them at the weekends,best of both worlds so to speak :thumbup1:

I agree. The load area is shite compared to the single cabs, but they are a good compromise.

I like the Dmax and Ranger.

Dont mention fecking landrovers, mine jacknifed today towing an ifor cattle box at 44mph.
farmer we go into has a disco and a tri axel ifor was taken cattle to market , he said he wasn't over loaded was on the duel carriage way doing 50ish back end gave 2 wiggles and put the whole thing on its side and he slide on its side, trailer an all , for 50 to 100 yards , drivers side down . it came to a halt and his first thought was i hope theres not a lorry behind me :scared: . all walked away unhurt but we call him the tar inspector now :lol:

to be fair to land rovers the comfort side is never compared like for like .
if you want to compare a trooper or a shogun to a land rover compare it against a disco commercial and not a defender .
I run a an old 300 tdi defender as a daily donkey and have to say its never had much in the way of problems ,the 200 it replaced was in the family from new and had done 160 k very hard miles and had done a lot of work on real hill country and towed an ifor williams for a lot of miles so no shame to it .
tried toyota hilux and found it too light in the backend for the trailer but a good enough truck apart from the cost of spares :scared:
trooper was comfy to drive but too soft and couldnt stand up to the use expected from it

Landrovers are terable in my opinion I would prefer a navara for there comfort performance. It's like our td5 110 when towing a trailer with a 3 ton digger on a plant trailer. It has a job to pull it let alone stop. The brakes are shit on them

up until last year we had a trooper at work , import , the 1 with the smaller diesel engine that didn't pack in ( my gaffer knows a bit about motor , well he thinks he does anyway ) L reg just a run about , 7 seats for hauling as home at silage time , had 8 in it a few times as well , gaffer used it for going on his hols as well . it went no to bad for an old boat but you could get it stuck on anything that wasn't tarmac :001_rolleyes: he got rid of it and bought a nice land cruiser or piece keeper ( the UN vehicle) as we call it , cant tell you of hand the age of it but hes tight so its more than 7 year old but drives like its new , he bought it privately think he checked the engine number to make sure it matched the chassis when he got it home :lol: think it's spent its days driving about towns

but of the road the LR will still be better i would think or have the opposition caught up yet :confused1:

Got a D40 Navara and a TD5 90. TD5 90 is a bag o shite 30 k miles new hard spicers 2 sets of brakes diff lock jamming in and new half shaft £1000 thankyou very much. This is our 4 th Landy since 1983 and almost the worst tdi 200/300 were crackers.

D40 Navara looks the part comfortable on the road going truck pulls 5 coos in the box no bother (6mpg) will top 110 and will go through the clarts better than the 90 until the shiney bits catch/get dented. On the down side its a poseur vehicle and therefore soft when it comes to hard work had a drive shaft and front pads but it feels like you wouldn't want to be to hard on it.

My choice Aus/NZ Land cruiser pickup or a Dodge Ram 2500 and swan neck box

or http://www.conceptcarz.com/vehicle/z15804/Volkswagen-Pickup-Concept.aspx

Cheers BB

My brother in law works on an estate North of the border and all the keepers use LR 90s. They reckon there is nothing to touch them for agility.
Sat in a brandnew 110 double cab at weekend. Smart but absolutely abysmal driving position and usual lack of elbow room. My friend isfairly tall but not hugely long in the leg. I noticed that with the seat back my leg was nearly on the lower dash (I am only 5' 9''). Another friend with longer legs but again only around the 6' mark found his knee on the dash.

Give me my old Landcruiser any day. Perhaps a bit juicy if pushed but pull a proper trailer. Would like to upgrade sometime.

havnt had anything other than landcruisers, to be fair, they are a fairly good jeep.
new model out a few weeks ago, local dealer got one in on friday last.
didnt see it yet in the flesh,
but oooooooh look what they have done to it,
looks more like a milfs car than a workhorse to me.
maybe it might look better in reality.

also looks like i wont be getin another lc4 if i ever change in the future,
round 29k for an lc3 and 40k for a lc4:001_huh:

http://www.toyota.co.uk/cgi-bin/toy...iser&deepLink=LC6_LC3&navType=Content&sr=Mall

Attachments

• LANCRUIS_10_A.jpg
    LANCRUIS_10_A.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 161
havnt had anything other than landcruisers, to be fair, they are a fairly good jeep.
new model out a few weeks ago, local dealer got one in on friday last.
didnt see it yet in the flesh,
but oooooooh look what they have done to it,
looks more like a milfs car than a workhorse to me.
maybe it might look better in reality.

http://

:censored::censored::censored::laugh:

Another vote for the landcruiser from me. Have had loads of them never had anything to do to them apart from servicing and tyres. Good off road too and very comfortable and never had a scare towing anything with them (including silage trailers) Not sure about the new model though:001_unsure:

Since 300tdi engine LR gone backwards, they only want to cater for the chelsea set now, RR sport you cant argue is a beautiful motor.
many problems with the TD3 onwards.
As for off road capabilities again I dont think you cant beat the LR all round, unless the driver is pants...and there are many.
Re them flipping again it isnt the fault with the vehicle it is usually incorrect loading or in the case of livestock its, load shift, or again a p poor driver.
LR them selves as dealers:no::no: they have sat on their laurels too long.
And as for holding their price second/third/4th hand show me another 4x4 that holds its price so well.
Faults..look at the navaras, L200 etc

Sorry LR thru and thru:lol::001_smile:

Tin hat and coat on......:laugh:

landcruser just a good battle truck years ago LR had the NZ market by the balls till the japs rocked up LR never regained lost ground they just never clicked to want the market wanted and in true britsh building they run around with there fingers in there ears going lalalalalalaal the japs brought a keg of ale and said "what you want?"
go to most mines there are landcrusers or hiluxs hard hill country mainly all landcrusers

No manafacturer has a list of faults as big as LR llamedos and you cannot deny that:laugh: as for towing they have to short a wheelbase to be stable IMO.Personaly id rahter grate my own testicles than own a landrover :thumbup1:
Well dont forget to post the pictures:lol:

Navara takes some beating, went bang 10,000 miles ago but Nissan paid to put it right, going well now though. Much more comfortable than a Landie.

pity they dont make decent tractors then :001_rolleyes:
before we had the landrover we had a vauxhall brava pickup ( i think ) well the landrover replaced it as the chassis was goosed so it lay about the farm for a few years doing nothing after mot ran out , 4wd was goosed on it as well so it was no use of road . you lifted the bonnet on it and it had isuzu written in big letters across the top of the engine :001_rolleyes:. it lay for almost a year without getting started next to our cake bin . had to get mechanic out to sort auger on bin 1 winters night when there was 6 inch of snow everywhere including top of pickup . we decided to start it so we could use the head lights to see what we were doing . heated it for about 5 secs ,turned the key and it fired up straight away :thumbup1:

kabota i think . apparently there no a bad tractor but ive heard the cabs are still way to small

Since 300tdi engine LR gone backwards, they only want to cater for the chelsea set now, RR sport you cant argue is a beautiful motor.
many problems with the TD3 onwards.
As for off road capabilities again I dont think you cant beat the LR all round, unless the driver is pants...and there are many.
Re them flipping again it isnt the fault with the vehicle it is usually incorrect loading or in the case of livestock its, load shift, or again a p poor driver.
LR them selves as dealers:no::no: they have sat on their laurels too long.
And as for holding their price second/third/4th hand show me another 4x4 that holds its price so well.
Faults..look at the navaras, L200 etc

Sorry LR thru and thru:lol::001_smile:

Tin hat and coat on......:laugh:

I concur :tt2: got 2 with 300s here,all there new stuff is shite !!!!

Back