any better way of sealing mastic or similar sealer in a caulking gun

tinman

Very Senior Member
once again today i had to open a new tube of mastic (tiger seal) and all i needed to do the job was a 1/4 of the tube,
i normally use a nail or screw to seal it but it only lasts a short time,
its dear enuf stuff to be throwing away.
any one got a smarter idea on how to seal it again, that it might last for a bit longer?

instead of doing 1 job wait till you got 4 jobs to do:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::whistling::whistling:

instead of doing 1 job wait till you got 4 jobs to do:001_rolleyes::001_rolleyes::whistling::whistling:

wwasnt i trying that, but as ever, when ya need a job for it one never comes along,

i might try the plastic stunt, didnt try that yet.

feck sake yer tichter thon quackers arse,bin it and buy a new wan when needed:001_rolleyes:

now this is a common prob glues sealers etc etc drying up why don't they make a 1/2 tube
OK OK from a marketing point of view it's better to haveing ya tossing out a 1/2 or 3/4 used tube but do they also miss out on sales of products as people go " i only need a wee bit and there is some in a toothpaste tube thing "
even a mini gun for the smaller tubes but still fit in the bigger guns ..
sure ya will not get 2 mini tubes for the price of 1 bigger one i don't know i think there is something in that ..
one of those ideas someone will make a few bucks out off

feck sake yer tichter thon quackers arse,bin it and buy a new wan when needed:001_rolleyes:

i keep a small stock of them neway, but it just leaves the consumables on the end of the bill looking dearer,
ok for ye guys in the uk :lol:
there is a recession round here ya know,

the sealer is round 12-15e a tube, so its steep enuf.

if i started opening new a tube every time i needed a bit of sealer it would get expensive at some stage.

the sealer is round 12-15e a tube, so its steep enuf.

if i started opening new a tube every time i needed a bit of sealer it would get expensive at some stage.

that seems dear :001_huh:
general purpose sealant is just over Ă‚ÂŁ2 at our local store :thumbup1:

that seems dear :001_huh:
general purpose sealant is just over Ă‚ÂŁ2 at our local store :thumbup1:

afraid that stuff only leads to more trouble,
i use the wurth bonding stuff or tiger seal,
they are a whole different ball game of a sealer.

ie,
years ago i sealed the inspection plate on the under side of a jcb 814's diesel tank, the owner rang me a while ago and asked me did i weld it closed the time i had worked on her, as he needed to clean out the tank again, he said he had all the bolts out but it still wouldnt budge, he had tried a bottle jack on it when he rang me and he was pushin up the bottom of the tank but it still wouldnt budge.

GP silicone just wouldnt be the same :lol::lol:

They all seem to go off what ever you do. For short term I squeeze some excess out and form a blob on the end.

once again today i had to open a new tube of mastic (tiger seal) and all i needed to do the job was a 1/4 of the tube,
i normally use a nail or screw to seal it but it only lasts a short time,
its dear enuf stuff to be throwing away.
any one got a smarter idea on how to seal it again, that it might last for a bit longer?

I'd have aerosol cans of gasket maker here I leave a bit hanging out the end and pull that out then when I want to use it again it works with that stuff but tiger seal I don't know we have a thing here its called power weld like jb weld really except on a bigger scale but there is a little cap you can tread onto the end when you take off the nozzle to keep it air tight great job and it comes with 2 spare nozzles too

Sent from my B15 using Tapatalk

I'd have aerosol cans of gasket maker here I leave a bit hanging out the end and pull that out then when I want to use it again it works with that stuff but tiger seal I don't know we have a thing here its called power weld like jb weld really except on a bigger scale but there is a little cap you can tread onto the end when you take off the nozzle to keep it air tight great job and it comes with 2 spare nozzles too

yes, id have similar stuff here, mind you, i dont use it much tbh, i wouldnt be wild fond of it, but its a lot better than the blue stuff, i lost an engine over the head of that stuff before.
i use shellac mostly, has never let me down yet.
and lubon 404 for pipe joints.

the tiger seal is good for the likes of a hydraulic tank, or somewhere that both of the mating surfaces mightnt come together flush.
if applied right, ive seen it having to be cut off.

yes, id have similar stuff here, mind you, i dont use it much tbh, i wouldnt be wild fond of it, but its a lot better than the blue stuff, i lost an engine over the head of that stuff before.

the tiger seal is good for the likes of a hydraulic tank, or somewhere that both of the mating surfaces mightnt come together flush.

The brown sauce is the best of the whole lot alright :thumbup:
A garage man down here was telling me he sealed the inside of a car door before with tiger seal it had to come off at a later date again anyway.
He ended up getting another door
Never used that lubon had a wavin one here for joining water pipes found it wild handy when changing tyres

The brown sauce is the best of the whole lot alright :thumbup:
A garage man down here was telling me he sealed the inside of a car door before with tiger seal it had to come off at a later date again anyway.
He ended up getting another door
Never used that lubon had a wavin one here for joining water pipes found it wild handy when changing tyres

the lubon came from the states, its great tack, im only getting used to it, but its simple to use and makes a air tight seal.
similar to the locktite version of pipe sealant.

we used to seal the tanks on the harvester with the tiger seal, i mind one time a lad rang me to ask had we welded the inspection plate to the tank on the inside, he had a jack on it and the tank was giving way....
you could seal a 6-10mm gap with it, i wouldn't like to, but you could.

tiger_seal.JPG

the lubon came from the states, its great tack, im only getting used to it, but its simple to use and makes a air tight seal.
similar to the locktite version of pipe sealant.

we used to seal the tanks on the harvester with the tiger seal, i mind one time a lad rang me to ask had we welded the inspection plate to the tank on the inside, he had a jack on it and the tank was giving way....
you could seal a 6-10mm gap with it, i wouldn't like to, but you could.

tiger_seal.JPG

Tbh I have only ever used it once and it was a pure balls of a thing to get to stick but that's 2 years ago and it still hasn't budged.
Its sauscy enough around 15 a cartridge? Theres stuff out there flexibond meant to be as good and half the price I don't know tho.
Must get a cartridge of it next time I need some for pig iron its rare I'd be using anything like that tho

I thought tiger seal was a panel bonder and for glass etc same as the wurth panel bonder I use that stick like sh1t on a shovel. have the same issue as you when you only want 1/4 a tube or less for a job only to find that the last one you opened and had 1/4 tube out of has gone solid. the best I have come up with is cover the end with cling film and squrt a bit out to seal it over. it helps but in time will still end up going hard back though the nozzle and in to the tube. I have when really desperate cut a tube open to get a odd bit to do a job but its messy!:thumbdown:

For gaskets on hydraulic tanks etc etc I use RTV sealent in a aerosol can which if it goes off in the nozzle can be easily cleaned out unlike that panel bonder which sticks to every thing and anything! used it to hold up a corner shelf unit in my shower on the tiles as the original rubbish sticky pad things didn't last 5 mins. been there 4 years now:thumbup2:

I thought tiger seal was a panel bonder and for glass etc same as the wurth panel bonder I use that stick like sh1t on a shovel. have the same issue as you when you only want 1/4 a tube or less for a job only to find that the last one you opened and had 1/4 tube out of has gone solid. the best I have come up with is cover the end with cling film and squrt a bit out to seal it over. it helps but in time will still end up going hard back though the nozzle and in to the tube. I have when really desperate cut a tube open to get a odd bit to do a job but its messy!:thumbdown:

For gaskets on hydraulic tanks etc etc I use RTV sealent in a aerosol can which if it goes off in the nozzle can be easily cleaned out unlike that panel bonder which sticks to every thing and anything! used it to hold up a corner shelf unit in my shower on the tiles as the original rubbish sticky pad things didn't last 5 mins. been there 4 years now:thumbup2:
its a pu selant so you can use it on just about anything.

ive tried a few ways of trying to seal them, but i dont use it too often, and normally by the time i get back to it, its gone hard.
if i use it now on a job, i just charge out for the tube.

the rtv is a bit too soft for my liking tbh, and thats why i dont use it much.
did you ever use the shellac?
9k=

Why not drill a hole in side of tube and pump it out through it rather than cutting it open? Only plastic so an old half knackered bit you dont need will do the job...

Place your sealants in a plastic bag, expel as much air as possible and leave it in the fridge. Should keep for years but you may need to get some heat back into it to make it workable again. Hair dryer department for that.:thumbup:

Place your sealants in a plastic bag, expel as much air as possible and leave it in the fridge. Should keep for years but you may need to get some heat back into it to make it workable again. Hair dryer department for that.:thumbup:
an interesting take on it.
i do keep the glue there, have one bottle and its 5 yrs old now and its still perfect.

Back