1st time beet grower

It does seem a lot but it be best out and will help you for the future. Some people don't pull them and after a few years the field does be destroyed. I hope to spray mine tomorrow with opera and dose of mantrac and boron

You often see planted seeds going into reproductive mode, this is not the true weed beet but best pulled, these plants would be in the drill , at the regular spacing. Some varieties are more prone to this, have been told its a reaction to stress ( much the same as grass going to seed when under moisture or nutrient stress)
Is there a history of growing beet in that field to say you have bolters?
I don't know really what is considered a lot or very little but if you want to grow beet there again in the future it's a zero tolerance approach

You often see planted seeds going into reproductive mode, this is not the true weed beet but best pulled, these plants would be in the drill , at the regular spacing. Some varieties are more prone to this, have been told its a reaction to stress ( much the same as grass going to seed when under moisture or nutrient stress)
Agreed that's why I asked the question about its history.

Dont think beet ever been grown in this field,not in last 50 to 60 years anyway
Bolters have defo been drilled

Was hoping to go fungicide and boron in next week or so

Seed rep is in the area next week and is having a look

Is there a history of growing beet in that field to say you have bolters?
I don't know really what is considered a lot or very little but if you want to grow beet there again in the future it's a zero tolerance approach
Agro and rep thought 30 to 40 on 4 acre would be more like it

Tbh i think its looking fantastic otherwise,leaf up to your belt,hell of a job to walk through it
Bulbs in general are about 4 to 5 inch across

Agro and rep thought 30 to 40 on 4 acre would be more like it

Tbh i think its looking fantastic otherwise,leaf up to your belt,hell of a job to walk through it
Bulbs in general are about 4 to 5 inch across
What are your plans for harvesting? Belt machine or squeeze wheels?

Harvester in bits in shed, couple of days should put it back together! Going to make a start next week.

See Teagasc costs harvesting at 101 + vat, is that the going rate? I wonder if it pays to do our own?

Harvester in bits in shed, couple of days should put it back together! Going to make a start next week.

See Teagasc costs harvesting at 101 + vat, is that the going rate? I wonder if it pays to do our own?
Rumors here are £100 a acre but i havent rang anyone

usually pay something in and around that price, give or take a €5

how is it yielding? Havnt looked at mine since I sprayed it the 1st of September, was lovely clean plants there back then

I honestly haven’t heard. Fine big roots but lots of gaps since the drought. Crops aren’t bad I’d say.

Suckler cows after making a start on Jamon fodder beet, cost of harvesting zero! It never ceases to amaze me the amount of feeding that can be got off an acer of fodder beet.

Attachments

• IMG_0871.JPG
    IMG_0871.JPG
    307 KB · Views: 99
  • IMG_0873.JPG
    IMG_0873.JPG
    284.6 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0874.JPG
    IMG_0874.JPG
    248 KB · Views: 91
Ive got the shivers looking at the mud. .....

You got in the region of 30 ton of roots and 4ish ton of leaf per acre??

Is there a way to sort of educated guess the weight??
Weigh a square meter of beets and times that by 10000??

Anyone lifting yet?
Have done one 14 acre field to date. No idea of yield but looked a good sized lump of beet.
In the past when I was younger keener and more enthusiastic I would have counted the loads and sent one via the local quarry to get weighed in order to have a accurate yield figure.
But these days its just up and down the rows and get the job over.

Back