1st time beet grower

I used always micro wave it for DM. used do 200grams, and whatever the final weight was, just divide by 2. I remember having Haydn about 6 yrs ago up at 26% dm at spring lifting. I used grow this for pitting. Also gave the highest yeild. Beets down at 18% would have to have more that 60% extra to bother with them

I used always micro wave it for DM. used do 200grams, and whatever the final weight was, just divide by 2. I remember having Haydn about 6 yrs ago up at 26% dm at spring lifting. I used grow this for pitting. Also gave the highest yeild. Beets down at 18% would have to have more that 60% extra to bother with them
Why did you give up on beet @Ozzy Scott you seemed to have got on well with it.

When growing for selling I grow belero (17.5%dm) and magnum (19%dm). About half and half of my ac. I find farmers don’t seem to care about the dm of the beet so as far as I can see from a selling point of view the more tons the better for me. Most of the belero go to sheep farmers and magnum to cattle but have some belero that go to cattle to

The Goldcrop book gives 19% for magnum and 22.5 for Alisha, going by these the magnum did 7.22T an acre of DM and the Alisha did 8.325T an acre of DM, 15% more DM. Savage.

The Goldcrop book gives 19% for magnum and 22.5 for Alisha, going by these the magnum did 7.22T an acre of DM and the Alisha did 8.325T an acre of DM, 15% more DM. Savage.
Yeah it is a serious increase, we would use two thirds of what we grow so I could see us switching at least that much to sugar beet as we could easily feed more beet ( or rather DM) without an issue. It's worth about an extra 200 an acre on the above tons. some customers will switch, some won't pain in the arse keeping it separate pre and post washing but doable.for 200 an acre

How are lads finding selling beet this year. Seems very little demand for it. I am glad I have my regular customers. Only one new customer this year and not one call off the dung deal since last November

How are lads finding selling beet this year. Seems very little demand for it. I am glad I have my regular customers. Only one new customer this year and not one call off the dung deal since last November

Crops are yielding well but demand is very quiet. The country is full of fodder - for now.....

ya crops are yielding well. demand is poor enough but east wind coming next week with cows calving things should pick up. We are selling beet a long time and never left with it.

Crops are yielding well but demand is very quiet. The country is full of fodder - for now.....

Exactly the same situation around here... was chatting to one man who has an ad running on DD and very little response .
€38-40 seems to be the run of it, washed and delivered up here.
The winters not over yet me thinks....

I never had so much beet sold before Christmas for some reason. Gone a bit quiet again bar the usual customers but that will pick up again when the black and white army start multiplying

how long will beet stay ok in the ground?
got 5a still to lift, hopefully get it next week

tops seem ok so far

just curios as to how long it stays growing for

tops seem ok so far

The ground is the best place to keep beet fresh. We have pulled beet into April and it comes put perfect. That would be sugar beet so it sits lower in the ground so less susceptible to frost damage. Fodder beet might suffer more.

tops seem ok so far

I have lifted beet in the ground 13 months :lol::cool1:, nearly certain it was in May. My last 10ac for pitting, was always not lifted before the new beet crop was sown. Usually dust coming off it at harvest and ground straight into maize

The ground is the best place to keep beet fresh. We have pulled beet into April and it comes put perfect. That would be sugar beet so it sits lower in the ground so less susceptible to frost damage. Fodder beet might suffer more.
right on the coast here so minimal chance of frost

I have lifted beet in the ground 13 months :lol::cool1:, nearly certain it was in May. My last 10ac for pitting, was always not lifted before the new beet crop was sown. Usually dust coming off it at harvest and ground straight into maize
:eek3:

Back