1st time beet grower

I seen beet been sown today in lea ground. I thought beet should not be sown after grass?

I never done it myself but know a lad who always does it and puts beet in for two years and then back to grass
I can’t think of a problem other than a greatly increased risk of uncontrollable leather jackets or wireworm (or both as I saw in a crop of barley today...)

I can’t think of a problem other than a greatly increased risk of uncontrollable leather jackets or wireworm (or both as I saw in a crop of barley today...)
Iirc you could only grow one year in three in the same ground for the sugar company

Iirc you could only grow one year in three in the same ground for the sugar company
Correct.
One bucko near here decided to beat the rules and sowed beet a second year.
Thought he had hoodwinked everyone including the fieldman who sold him all the inputs.
Once the campaign was underway and he hadnt received his delivery dockets, he put in a call. Was simply told that he had broken the terms of his contract and they wouldnt be accepting any beet from him this season.
He was a 50 acre grower and the field in question was just 12 acres but the whole lot had to go for cattlefeed that year.

"Sometimes those who think they are clever are in fact fools and those who we regard as fools are in reality, clever"
Confucius.

I seen beet been sown today in lea ground. I thought beet should not be sown after grass?
It was the old school of thought before Roundup , when people would plough down green grass. ( remember those days ) which may have become a problem in the crop.
And as already mentioned pests could be a problem.
But has been done by many loads of times without issue.

we have done it occasionally. It can cause violet root? Which is caused by the sod breaking down, the beet doesn't store well with it. The last time I did it i ploughed down a ton of lime per acre and it helped

Your better off if that doesnt see rain for awhile, drought savage at getting deep roots in beet. Always had big crops in dry years

Well that’s true. It is going down for the moisture. So long as it gets rain sometime as I don’t want it like 2018 again.

Yep but I’d be worried about bolting, Patrick’s day sown crops had to be certain bolting resistant varieties in case of frost.
I saw some beet yesterday heading into its second year in the ground. A field full of seed stalks already.....
FFS, that's idiotic

Back