2wd drive tractors

Needed new front tires for both tractors here over the past while, 400 a pop for the 4wd,which I was told was a bargain, 2wd less than 100each! Still got their upsides ha!

1 x 4wd and 3 x 2wds here, 2wds do more work than the 4wd does, do all the haymaking, spraying, spreading and majority of roadwork, whats the point in wearing out expensive rubber if you have no need?

Bear in mind this land is flat as a billiard table, round here a "hill" is classed as being 10ft higher than everywhere else!!!!

See a pic years ago of a JD 6420 that was 2wd, must say todays tractors just dont look "right" in 2wd form, maybe we have got so used to seeing 4wd that its considered the norm now?

Nearly bought a County in 1980 but did not buy a 4WD till 1993 it took me 13 years to see the light .
What am I not buying now that I should be ?
Mobility scooter is not an acceptable answer .

Nearly bought a County in 1980 but did not buy a 4WD till 1993 it took me 13 years to see the light .

New combine! :tt2:

John raises a good point though, 4wd is now modified for 2wd whereas before it was the other way around.

Point is though, sometimes there is no need for 4wd, take a tractor whats destined to lead a life of yard scraping and being on a feeder wagon running up and down a concrete passage all its life, 2wd can and will do it, but the 4wd is handy should you wish to do other jobs

id put money that a 2wd equivalent would be as expensive if not more as a 4wd now, due to the fact it would more or less be a "one off" build going down the line, would require a different axle, tombstone and wheels, all of which are unlikely to be in stock like its driven axle counterparts would be?

2x 4wd here the other 7 are all 2wd. In saying that however the ole blizzard is coming up for renewal in the not to distant future and a nice 4wd valtra N111 will be it's replacement.

EEK, John1594 what have I said haha.

2x 4wd here the other 7 are all 2wd. In saying that however the ole blizzard is coming up for renewal in the not to distant future and a nice 4wd valtra N111 will be it's replacement.

EEK, John1594 what have I said haha.

How do you like the 2wd Blizzard?

Sounds like a fleet there :cool::thumbup:

Have one of each both have their place but modern four wheel drives have a much better turning circle compared to the older models so negating one of the big advantages of 2wd and as said before the cost difference probably isn't there any more

Ya we like our tractors here nash, few oldies in the mix but they still earn there keep.
2wd blizzard is a fairly good tractor overall, like any 2wd it does have it's problems on soft or sticky conditions. Great engine for power and frugal as a nun, gearbox though never impressed me. Shit* syncros and 3rd to 4th has a massive gap.

Have one of each both have their place but modern four wheel drives have a much better turning circle compared to the older models so negating one of the big advantages of 2wd and as said before the cost difference probably isn't there any more

Was pricing a 2wd MF couple of years ago and it was actually more expensive then the same model in 4wd. Apparently they all start out now as 4x4 and are converted back to 2wd as a special order.

Have one 2wd at work a 390 :thumbup: spend`s the winter attached to a power box cleaning out straw house`s 4wd would be awkard in some of the more confined area`s . It`s currently on the rake raking silage . Bit limited after that at what it`s capable of doing but for the winter it`s ideal and couldn`t list any current tractor that could replace it .

Ya we like our tractors here nash, few oldies in the mix but they still earn there keep.
2wd blizzard is a fairly good tractor overall, like any 2wd it does have it's problems on soft or sticky conditions. Great engine for power and frugal as a nun, gearbox though never impressed me. Shit* syncros and 3rd to 4th has a massive gap.

That is odd don't find the same gaps with the 9880 but then the Ford 7th and 8th gear difference is huge so it is all relative.

Presume it is a Blizzard 85 with the 248 engine given its 2wd, be an interesting comparison versus a 390 :thumbup:

It's a Blizzard 95 with the T236 perkins. Great engine just the gearbox has a cheapish feel to it and always did. No comparision to a smaller 362 mf we have. Miles better in every way from driver comfort to hydraulics and reliable. Don't get me wrong, the landini has been a good tractor just falls down on a few small things. I don't like the look of the new ones, AC looks like a distinct after thought at the back of the cab.

It's a Blizzard 95 with the T236 perkins. Great engine just the gearbox has a cheapish feel to it and always did. No comparision to a smaller 362 mf we have. Miles better in every way from driver comfort to hydraulics and reliable. Don't get me wrong, the landini has been a good tractor just falls down on a few small things. I don't like the look of the new ones, AC looks like a distinct after thought at the back of the cab.

Unusual to see a 95 in 2wd:thumbup:

I presume you are saying the 362 was much better than the Landini even though it has a lighter 3cyl backend?

Comparing a ford with a landini :001_huh: :ban:

You need to drive a 3cyl or 4cyl 600 or 1000 series and you will see what I mean :p

Apparently our blizzard was a special order in 2wd, at least thats what the dealer told us anyway. The 362 backend is a lot heavier then the 3cyl ones. It's identical to the backend in our 168. Actually there's feck all difference in it and the 399 we used to have.

Some of the 3 cylinder Masseys also had the heavy back end, E.G the 250 and 355. Not sure were there others. :001_unsure:

Apparently our blizzard was a special order in 2wd, at least thats what the dealer told us anyway. The 362 backend is a lot heavier then the 3cyl ones. It's identical to the backend in our 168. Actually there's feck all difference in it and the 399 we used to have.

Ah was thinking I wasn't too far off:D

I'll agree with you though on the newer Landinis though and the position of the air intake at the back of the cab.

The Powerfarm doesn't have a flat floor cab either :thumbdown:

tbh i miss the old 2wd, i'd love a tm140 or jd 7810 2wd for say a tedder or something. there is just something about that 2wd look, very tidy or something.:yes:

I could suggest a chopper so that you can survey your Carlow prairies.
However, I think the answer to your question is tracks.....?

All 2wd here and on a few dairy farms near us too. Our land is flat and dry and we have no tillage work so 2wd suits us just fine for all we be doing which ain't much.

Fair enough 4wd is the job for ploughing etc and maybe for loader work etc.

If a good 2wd ford of about 90 - 100 hp can be got I'd say we'd purchase. On the look out at the moment again so the shopping list is getting longer by the week :lol:

I can honestly say that I have never been in a situation on our farm whereby I said we need a 4wd :thumbup:

Back