300 acre Combine?

Ó hÉidin

Ok,

so, theoretically speaking . . . . .

a combine for the west half (wet half) of Ireland, 300 ac of Oats/Barley/Wheat, straw quality is very important.

Reliability is very important as its not a strong combine dealer area, any service or repair vans probably having to travel 80 miles, so breakdowns need to be few and far between.

need a physically small combine to navigate roads.

Buying a machine to work for 10-15 years.

Needs to have some level of comfort, i.e aircon and air seat. also need lateral float on the header.

12-14ft cut

Chopper not necessary.

All input welcome.

Deutz were always popular in the sunny south east NH TX3? series would bring comfort and the JD 10 and 11s are also worth a look. Could you not get away with a slightly wider header though or are you afraid of the extra weight.

Deutz were always popular in the sunny south east NH TX3? series would bring comfort and the JD 10 and 11s are also worth a look. Could you not get away with a slightly wider header though or are you afraid of the extra weight.

remember i am speaking theoretically

undulations, would be my concern hence why lateral float would be important.

I was thinking NH TC range

TC would be a lot of money though. When my brother and his sidekick were playing at tillage farming they bought a 2066 Hillmaster, Was a good day when he said goodbye to it. Local dealer was not up to much either.

Something like this - http://www.kevinkirby.com/jd03.htm

or two Deutz machines - http://www.sjbtractors.co.uk/search.php?area=3

That man I went to see up in Galway but wasn't there had a nice looking Deutz Topliner sat by the road.

Would you theoretically be doing any crimping work?

Theoretically, maybe

Then it may be worth theoretically shopping for a cheap stripper header. Seen this done in Cumbria where they pulled the grain off for crimping so were able to get across the acres without green strawing killing the machine and increasing wear and then come back and mow it when the straw had gone dead and bale it for bedding.

This is another bit we learned. In 2009 we had a few combines trying to cut our bit of ground. A Fahr combine on duals left loads of deep wheel ruts compared to the 8010 Axial Flow which was cutting near double the width and was on widr tyres.

Looking at the TC I would imagine they need more rubber.

My 2p work as I actually spend some time spannering on them and also helping with the haulage.

You have a good spread of cropping there so that helps.

I'd forget about 12ft head. You would be as well off with a 10ft and drive her on to keep her full.

So 14ft head. Friend has a Deutz 35.80 that cuts around 200 acres a year which was all spring cropping. In a very good day last year, we cut damn close to 30 acres with it and that involved several on off header stops and he had no trailer for 40 minutes as I got stuck in a queue. From 12 to 3pm this year we cut 10 acres of our own one Sunday. Dad was very busy with the 5t trailer that day:lol:

For 300 acres I would probably go with a Deutz 4075 or even a very late 35.80. Other than that a NH TX 34. Wouldn't touch anything else to be honest.

Budget on cutting it all in 10 days and you should be fine. €20k will sort it - believe me.

JD1075:001_unsure:

dat 4065HTS in profi farmers link luks de bizz!
we had one for about 5-6 yrs and it went well.....40 acres on a long day i reckon! i'm almost 100% sure der the largest 5 walker....and i reckon its plenty big, i definetly wud not go 6 walker in ur situation as wider and longer and overkill for the task in hand! however dat deutz wil not be cheap i reckon as it wud be gettin near the last of them. But them hrs wud be highish in my eyes.
I tink a deutz wud suit your set up as they are very esimple and easily worked on, without havin to ring the local mechanic!

still would sway towards a TC, deutz combines i know nothing about, i've done a fair bit with NH's, but remember this is all theoretical

ive never seen a TC combine they wouldnt be very common around here.
whats de diference between 1 of them and a TX

JD1075:001_unsure:

Any of them around here also sow a 4ft green cover strip :whistling:

dat 4065HTS in profi farmers link luks de bizz!
we had one for about 5-6 yrs and it went well.....40 acres on a long day i reckon! i'm almost 100% sure der the largest 5 walker....and i reckon its plenty big, i definetly wud not go 6 walker in ur situation as wider and longer and overkill for the task in hand! however dat deutz wil not be cheap i reckon as it wud be gettin near the last of them. But them hrs wud be highish in my eyes.
I tink a deutz wud suit your set up as they are very esimple and easily worked on, without havin to ring the local mechanic!

I was thinking about this last night and remembered that the 4075 had 6 walkers. Like you I am pretty sure the 4065 was the biggest 5 walker so replace the 4075 in my post above with 4065. 18ft head though is very big on one of these! I reckon your right about the 4065 being near the end. Nice 3480 though! Last of these had a green roof from about 1991 on. Hours are not bad on either IMV - I'd be more concerned about condition. 2000 hours cutting wheat is a lot different than 2000 hours cutting barley.

Agreed on the last point :blushing:

ive never seen a TC combine they wouldnt be very common around here.
whats de diference between 1 of them and a TX

TC is pretty much like an 8060 with a curvy cab. Less electronics and less gees gees too and most have a mechnical gearbox.

what about a pull type combine, does anyone make these anymore?

200hp vario and one of these has to be a good outfit!

Attachments

• image.aspx.jpg
    image.aspx.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
A lot different to what you are meaning of course but.....I watched a fella cutting with a trailed Dania on a 165 over the hedge from where I was baling about 15 years ago.

It was slow, which is fair enuff as it was only about 6' wide, but having to open the field out like a mower would, where the wheels ran over was flat to the ground & therefore lost, plus if it was over ripe the movement of the drawbar running through the crop would be knocking more heads off.....that's just what I noticed.

I don't know if he even bothered trying to cut the outside swath.

had a few hours in an Avero 240 at the weekend, such a lovely little tool, happily sit in it all day, quiet, clean and easy to work, much better than the dominator 140 whihc was also in the field, tall narrow, cumbersome thing with a woeful cab.

i'll do the lotto and buy an avero i think!

Back