4G

JohnBoy

Anyone using it?

I'm on the farm tonight and using the phone as a mobile hotspot. Bloody hell, 32MB download 22MB upload using speedtest.net

that's decent on any measure.

yeah at home we went from Edge to a basic 3g signal last year, made the world of difference. The sky+ box can download stuff now!!

there's literally nothing else available at our house. two houses left or right of us have their pick of options, but they're all coming from the opposite direction to the 3g signal and there's a feckin small but tall hill straight across the road from us.

Here on the other hand is much more remote. but it's an elevated spot so there's a mast about a km away that's probably covering from bandon to clonakilty and everything in between.

32Mb through a phone is pretty dammed impressive. I still remember upgrading to a 28.8 modem!!!

if you go onto vodaphones site and look up the coverage for 4g, its pretty damn impressive, but when you read the fine print, its only an estimated coverage and subject to signal bull.
so basically, its a long way off yet.

after a lot of meticulous wiring, im only up to this on the copper.
3633662143.png

that's alright, the 3g we have will do a fairly consistent 1.5 to 2 and to be honest it'll tip along for most things. to me consistency is more important than outright speed.

i'm happier with a low res youtube vid playing the whole way through than a high res one that stutters and pauses every two minutes.

that's alright, the 3g we have will do a fairly consistent 1.5 to 2 and to be honest it'll tip along for most things. to me consistency is more important than outright speed.

i'm happier with a low res youtube vid playing the whole way through than a high res one that stutters and pauses every two minutes.
for a right while it was onlt ever 1.6mb, but i got them to ramp it up to see if the pipe could take it, its been good so far, an odd time ive rebooted the router, but only a few times, hasnt dropped off yet so it is just about able to hold it.

id say 4g will be a long time yet, pity too, for if they got the finger out it could be done quick enough id say.
but i suppose its a monetary issue more than a mast one.:rolleyes:

Got 4g up around dub a few times alright and it is bloody fast alright! Still stuck at 3G if I'm lucky here tho...

God that drives me nuts.
waiting for something to load

Back