a few of our machines

Away furrow pressing this morning,conditions ideal.
Have a look [MENTION=3048]ithastopay[/MENTION], this is the grassland field we had being chatting aboutImageUploadedByTapatalk1429687482.981065.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429687540.884887.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429687676.096401.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks @Jdbaz that looks to be doing a nice job, do you think it would be better if you got at earlier or would it be too sticky?
Is be interested to see what [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] think?

Im not sure if much earlier would of suited in this field,as this one got about 10000 gallons of slurry to acre,,definitely the field last night,i was a day late pressing it,didnt do as well as this field. As you can see from the rings there not shining in this field,clay sort of sticking .ImageUploadedByTapatalk1429695383.635981.jpg

Thanks @Jdbaz that looks to be doing a nice job, do you think it would be better if you got at earlier or would it be too sticky?
Is be interested to see what [MENTION=2524]CORK[/MENTION] and [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION] think?

Looks to be putting manners on the land to be fair. It looks like it could be tough enough soil too?
I suppose I wouldn't be too keen on the wheel tracks which the tractor inevitably leaves.
[MENTION=2656]jd-baz[/MENTION] have you ever tried a Packomat? Timing is everything with handling clay soils in this weather - giving it just enough time to dry before tilling without it getting too hard.

Ye both would know a lot more about the best way to manage heavy land than I would, I am still learning and still making bad mistakes with my little bit of heavy land.
When you're born on and use to easy worked ground it's a steep learning curve when you have to work really stubborn clay soil over grey marl.
I had a decency to favour discs and press to brake the lumps, but the razor rings on the press are more important than what's in front of them, from my limited knowledge.
Another run of something and that will come up in ball order jdbaz :thumbup:.

We just goin to try a run of this,looks to be doing a nice job,got this vaderstad carrier in the back end,but just anxious to see what she would doImageUploadedByTapatalk1429698256.552255.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429698300.289177.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1429698317.825433.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkImageUploadedByTapatalk1429700188.971790.jpg

Last edited:
We just goin to try a run of this,looks to be doing a nice job,got this vaderstad carrier in the back end,but just anxious to see what she would doView attachment 28368View attachment 28369View attachment 28370

Sent from my iPhone using TapatalkView attachment 28371

don't know what crop your sowing but I would be fear full of a pan being created under the disc depth especially if ground is getting a good few runs of the disc and lots of traffic. Looks similar to some of my soil. Mother nature is the best tiller and a few mls of rain.

don't know what crop your sowing but I would be fear full of a pan being created under the disc depth especially if ground is getting a good few runs of the disc and lots of traffic. Looks similar to some of my soil. Mother nature is the best tiller and a few mls of rain.

Maize going in,all similar cultivations every year,having record crops of maize for the best part of 15 years.
Will be getting one slow deep final run of the power harrow so that should eliminate any pan created by the disc,
Only getting one run of the vaderstad at about 2 inches deep just to crush the lumps more,so doubt there will be too much of a pan.
Seems to be working
Headlands will be grubbed when the main body of the field will be sowed
I agree the weather is the best harrow...
But when your waiting for the field to be dry enough to put on 10000 + gallons of slurry and dung,it doesn't suit to plough as early as possible,this got slurry last week and about 200 tonne of dung on saturday and this field was ploughed by 10am sunday morning.

That dung will do a lot for the soil structure. Can't beat grubbing headlands, we grub every field once the main body is sown.

Maize going in,all similar cultivations every year,having record crops of maize for the best part of 15 years.
Will be getting one slow deep final run of the power harrow so that should eliminate any pan created by the disc,
Only getting one run of the vaderstad at about 2 inches deep just to crush the lumps more,so doubt there will be too much of a pan.
Seems to be working
Headlands will be grubbed when the main body of the field will be sowed
I agree the weather is the best harrow...
But when your waiting for the field to be dry enough to put on 10000 + gallons of slurry and dung,it doesn't suit to plough as early as possible,this got slurry last week and about 200 tonne of dung on saturday and this field was ploughed by 10am sunday morning.

ploughing down that amount of slurry is a disaster imo. doesn't help the ground one bit. Nowadays Im going with 3k gls of slurry if weather comes dry in feb or march and go with another 3k gls of slurry on top of ploughing if dry enough and grub the tracks. I little having some slurry closer to where it is needed early in the season. Why not get slurry on earlier, plough earlier and let the weather do the work? then straight in with the dreaded powerharrow :undecided: the weight of the samco 6 row maize seeder is serious on the headlands. I usually double up the fert on turning headlands so as to give the plant as much nutrients as possible to get it away also having the grubber in the field is the job.

Your right thats your opinion,a disaster in your opinion but as i said great crops of maize for the best part of 15 years are proving your opinion wrong.one year we had a piggery anxious to get rid of slurry and 4 artics drew to pipes at the gate and it averaged out it got 15000 gallons,ground wouldnt be dry enough to spread slurry earlier to save bringing half the field out on the road as the tank is near 2 mile away from here.,
This field has being in tillage over 25 years .

Your right thats your opinion,a disaster in your opinion but as i said great crops of maize for the best part of 15 years are proving your opinion wrong.one year we had a piggery anxious to get rid of slurry and 4 artics drew to pipes at the gate and it averaged out it got 15000 gallons,ground wouldnt be dry enough to spread slurry earlier to save bringing half the field out on the road as the tank is near 2 mile away from here.,
This field has being in tillage over 25 years .

Would you find it hard to plough ground after that amount of slurry? I put 6k gals of thick cattle slurry out last year in a place and a claas 850 was just about fit to plough with 8 furrows after 4 dry days,

Sent from my GT-I8190 using Tapatalk

Sure you would,notice we are ploughing with the 6910s rather than the 6930,tyres considerably better on the 10,diff lock would be on most of the time too.

Would disks be bad at making a pan?

Went for a nosey round the island last week, and saw a mate ploughing, field almost looked too wet to plough on top, he said it was because he'd had a demo on a disk after last harvest and put in rape for over wintered sheep. Recconed the disks was to blame for the wetness, field other side of the fence hadn't been done and was a different field!

Disk pan?

Would disks be bad at making a pan?

Went for a nosey round the island last week, and saw a mate ploughing, field almost looked too wet to plough on top, he said it was because he'd had a demo on a disk after last harvest and put in rape for over wintered sheep. Recconed the disks was to blame for the wetness, field other side of the fence hadn't been done and was a different field!

Disk pan?

sheep pan!!

discs could do it mind...

Correct and right nash
Lely onepass,have it from near new.
300-55 harrow and polymat drill.

Ah the heavier power harrow so [emoji6]

Lely drills wouldn't be that common over here for some reason.

Ah the heavier power harrow so [emoji6]

Lely drills wouldn't be that common over here for some reason.

Yea the heavier of the 3 made,lely got a soft name from the older 33 and the current 35series
Wernt too many 55 harrows sold,iv had this outfit since 01 and never had the bed open .
The older lely drills were basically an accord with lely stickers on them that one is a full lely but never much hassle with it.
Goes well.

Back