Accord Seed Drill

Whatever about the drill, that's a lovely clean TW :Thumbp2:

I presume There's a hydraulic pump driving the drill.

@MF30 will be busy buying up Accord DL's now to match up to MF drills :lol:

Whatever about the drill, that's a lovely clean TW :Thumbp2:

I presume There's a hydraulic pump driving the drill.

@MF30 will be busy buying up Accord DL's now to match up to MF drills :lol:
No fear of that! But I could sell him a straighter afterharrow for the back....
MF30

Is that pre em markers at back too?

Yep, looks like it.

Saw it on Twitter, a guy sowing spring barley in the UK. The replacement of the old Massey seed box looks like a recent thing going by another pic.
I’m thinking that he originally wanted to power harrow ahead of the Massey drill and there must have been issues with the old box as it aged so he replaced it with the accord hopper and metering system. Makes a bit more sense compared to creating the pictured machine on day 1.

Is that pre em markers at back too?
Yes, the pre em markers went up as the harrow went down and they went down when the harrow went up, except on the tramline sequence. They were plumbed into the tramline oil line.
MF30

After harrow is shocking bad I'd say in mediocre conditions there would be seed not covered,. Actually I've seen a lot of accord drills around the place with no after harrows, beggars belief how they keep the crows away from the seed..

Is it all that mad though? A 4m one pass is fair weight on a head land, he’s spreading that weight across another decent set of wheels and also not having to carry big weight up front to handle it lifted either. I know a tdub ain’t the lightest but there doesn’t look to be any weight up front, and I’d say he has a cheap accurate drill that covers ground in fairness. Ok the after harrow is some job tho...

After harrow is shocking bad I'd say in mediocre conditions there would be seed not covered,. Actually I've seen a lot of accord drills around the place with no after harrows, beggars belief how they keep the crows away from the seed..
We only have the little small after harrows on the coulter on our drill and get good seed coverage, we would be sowing at high speeds to but would have plenty of tillage to sow into. I’m often tempted to get a proper after harrow but it always slips my mind and just sow away!!!!!

Is it bent or just able to pivot in the middle?

Seems to me if it was bent that much it would leave a furrow in the field?

Is it bent or just able to pivot in the middle?

Seems to me if it was bent that much it would leave a furrow in the field?
It must be bent; early 4 metre drills were hinged from each end and later 4 metre drills were hinged in the middle also for extra support. Some 3 metre drills had the harrows raised by hydraulic Rams but I've never seen a 4 metre with Rams. The odd drill has the harrow pivoting from the front frame and carried past the coulters in three places and raised by chains from the main square beam that lowers the coulters. I've seen 4 metre harrows bent slightly backwards from drag but nothing like that one. The harrows float on both ends so quite possibly the middle is the only bit doing any work. On closer zoom it actually looks broken in the middle.
MF30

Reactions: AYF
I think I’ve posted in this thread or similar one about looking for an Accord drill for grass seeds, anyway after plenty of looking I’ve failed to pick one up. A second thought I’m after getting is an old Vicon seeder and just put out the seeds after it’s been tilled which might actually be a better idea for some places and for the relatively small amount it would be doing, has anyone any experience of them are they accurate, easily calibrated etc. Thanks.

I think I’ve posted in this thread or similar one about looking for an Accord drill for grass seeds, anyway after plenty of looking I’ve failed to pick one up. A second thought I’m after getting is an old Vicon seeder and just put out the seeds after it’s been tilled which might actually be a better idea for some places and for the relatively small amount it would be doing, has anyone any experience of them are they accurate, easily calibrated etc. Thanks.
Is that the fibreglass hooper type with the wheels on the front? Do they not use the same metering unit as an accord?

Is that the fibreglass hooper type with the wheels on the front? Do they not use the same metering unit as an accord?
Ya that’s the one, maybe so but I wouldn’t have a clue way before my time :laugh: but if they have that would be a good start.

I think if I was doing some reseeding every year I'd get a 5 bag Vicon wagtail; we always used our wagtail for sowing grass and had the accuracy spot on. Not sure if the Bogballe is as suitable for grass seeds. Another option is an electric spinner thingy that holds around 2 bags and bolt it onto the ring roller in front of the rings but behind the paddles.
MF30

I think if I was doing some reseeding every year I'd get a 5 bag Vicon wagtail; we always used our wagtail for sowing grass and had the accuracy spot on. Not sure if the Bogballe is as suitable for grass seeds. Another option is an electric spinner thingy that holds around 2 bags and bolt it onto the ring roller in front of the rings but behind the paddles.
MF30
I have one of those 5 bag Vicons in the vintage section already we use it for spreading fert on small paddocks. I would rather a drill with scribes and covering harrow though.

Ya that’s the one, maybe so but I wouldn’t have a clue way before my time :laugh: but if they have that would be a good start.

Very same as an Accord DL

This one is good value if the tramliners and everything else are okay.

https://www.donedeal.ie/rotovators-for-sale/4m-vicon-supaseeder-air-seeder/18379538

YWFjMDI3MjEyMTExMWViNjQ2ZjUxZTk1YjU0NGIxZTXnxGTT6VkPriW38760-HgvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODA3Mzg2MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg

Yes very well,seen that drill there over the xmas.
I wouldn’t know a thing about air drills, always been box drills here, you could turn everything, didn’t see it running but it looked straight enough to take a chance on. He seemed bang on and a bit of a character I’d say.

Very same as an Accord DL

This one is good value if the tramliners and everything else are okay.

https://www.donedeal.ie/rotovators-for-sale/4m-vicon-supaseeder-air-seeder/18379538

YWFjMDI3MjEyMTExMWViNjQ2ZjUxZTk1YjU0NGIxZTXnxGTT6VkPriW38760-HgvaHR0cDovL3MzLWV1LXdlc3QtMS5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL2RvbmVkZWFsLmllLXBob3Rvcy9waG90b185ODA3Mzg2MXx8fDYwMHg2MDB8fHx8fHx8fA==.jpeg
I’m in the process of converting the drill for grass, I’m going to totally remove the tool bar, I’ll take all the coulters off and maybe someone might have use for them. I’m then going to make a new bar but I’m going to reduce it to 3m and add an after harrow, will I have any problem reducing it to 3m from its current 4m metering wise, also how many outlets would I want to leave, a normal 3m would have 24 but would 16 be enough or would it cause problems.

I’m in the process of converting the drill for grass, I’m going to totally remove the tool bar, I’ll take all the coulters off and maybe someone might have use for them. I’m then going to make a new bar but I’m going to reduce it to 3m and add an after harrow, will I have any problem reducing it to 3m from its current 4m metering wise, also how many outlets would I want to leave, a normal 3m would have 24 but would 16 be enough or would it cause problems.
I could be wrong but I think the metering wheel spins at a different speed to alter it to a 4m?:scratchhead: I’m sure @jd-baz or someone will know for definite! Does it have an area meter on it? If so that’ll be wrong, on a 3m you turn it till the meter reads 41 to get a tenth of an acre, I’m not sure if it’s the same for a 4m.

I could be wrong but I think the metering wheel spins at a different speed to alter it to a 4m?:scratchhead: I’m sure @jd-baz or someone will know for definite! Does it have an area meter on it? If so that’ll be wrong, on a 3m you turn it till the meter reads 41 to get a tenth of an acre, I’m not sure if it’s the same for a 4m.
Ya I was thinking the same the chart shows the same settings for the 3,4,6m so I presume it’s the gearing in the land wheel is the only difference. It has a little acre metre but I can probably just do a small bit of maths and reduce the setting by a 1/4 to get it out at the correct rate.

Last edited:
Back