Accounting thread - whats allowed/whats not

Considering I'm not entitled a bike under the cycle to work scheme, can I expenses a modest bike to use while looking at my cattle. Thinking of going cycling and doing a 10mile loop in the morning while looking at cattle in a number of locations.

there's no reason why not - so long as you can prove that its for farm. You'll get the same saving as if you bought it through the bike to work scheme.

Considering I'm not entitled a bike under the cycle to work scheme, can I expenses a modest bike to use while looking at my cattle. Thinking of going cycling and doing a 10mile loop in the morning while looking at cattle in a number of locations.

Those New Year resolutions must be kicking in :lol::eek3:

Ran mine through the books as an expense and it was a expensive bike but split it for work and pleasure , do use it as transport to go from my house to the farm most days (it's not far ) .

obvious costs are.
Boots
work wear,
60% of cost of a car or van and the running costs
farm office furniture, computer,
Heat for office and canteen for men which may be in your home
toll charges
accountants costs
Pretty secretary!!!

obvious costs are.
Boots
work wear,
60% of cost of a car or van and the running costs
farm office furniture, computer,
Heat for office and canteen for men which may be in your home
toll charges
accountants costs
Pretty secretary!!!

Seeing as you have to sign a declaration these days that a commercial vehicle will only be used for work purposes, surely you should be entitled to claim 100% of the associated costs?

Yes a commercial 100% . but if you only owned a car 60% would be reasonable.
If someone only owned a commercial and no car how would you claim 100% unless you have no off farm life

Yes a commercial 100% . but if you only owned a car 60% would be reasonable.
If someone only owned a commercial and no car how would you claim 100% unless you have no off farm life

You could be like @laoisfarmer there, and travel by bicycle. Technically speaking I only own a commercial vehicle, as the car is in my wife's name.

Seeing as you have to sign a declaration these days that a commercial vehicle will only be used for work purposes, surely you should be entitled to claim 100% of the associated costs?

I have a couple of jeeps purely used on the farm but accountant wouldn't go any higher than 95% farm use.

Going back to the bike question, would I need to buy new to get an invoice, or can I buy private and show that the sale occurred?

Accountant allows 75% of diesel expense etc etc for a farm family if theres only one vehicle inthe household. She says that's what the tax man says is acceptable. Even if other half is using same vehicle for travel to her work.

Accountant allows 75% of diesel expense etc etc for a farm family if theres only one vehicle inthe household. She says that's what the tax man says is acceptable. Even if other half is using same vehicle for travel to her work.

Good question, was wondering about that myself and with the phone.

Motoring here would be 90% for work so presume I'd be fine just saying that. It is being fair anyway.

I have a couple of jeeps purely used on the farm but accountant wouldn't go any higher than 95% farm use.

Going back to the bike question, would I need to buy new to get an invoice, or can I buy private and show that the sale occurred?
I see no reason why it couldn't be secondhand , it's not as if there's a number plate on it or anything to tell the year . I know a few high end bikes that were second hand that we're bought through the bike to work scheme , sure all the invoice has to say is make and model and maybe cereal number

Tv lience?? Did I not hear Pat Rabitte a few years ago say it was some sort of media licence. We only use the telly here to watch the weather forecast, ear to the ground, the news. Use the internet lots for farm related stuff so it should be farm expensed?

I presume a portion of the tv licence could be claimed though I haven't done it.2/3 of my light and heat etc is claimed.
I was told by an ifac speaker at a meeting that if you have a jeep fully deductible it's also reasonable to claim 50% of the car costs even if it's your wife's car for going to work which surprised me

Jeez, my accountant is trying to tell me the jeep(crew cab) is only part deductible even though we run a car which does 3 times as much mileage, the trip to Agritechnica should be fully deductible.:whistle:..:drunk:

Jeez, my accountant is trying to tell me the jeep(crew cab) is only part deductible even though we run a car which does 3 times as much mileage, the trip to Agritechnica should be fully deductible.:whistle:..:drunk:
Did you not sign a declaration when you were registering it as a commercial that it would only be used for the purposes of your business? That's my argument anyway.

The trip would be fully allowed, aslong as your not expensing blow,drink and hookers aswell

Did you not sign a declaration when you were registering it as a commercial that it would only be used for the purposes of your business? That's my argument anyway.
I'm of the same opinion, why put me through all the rigmarole to tax commercial if it's not allowable. back seats for carrying a few drivers or 2 lads moving stock.

If you bought a front end loader for a tractor could you write the tax of in one year or would it have to be over 8 years

Back