Aerator Opinions

Burke3050

Some lads swear by it and others would think the ditch isn’t the best place for them.
How many of ye would use them on a regular basis. I would think the barrel type ones would penetrate ground better than the normal spiker type ones. I would love to get my hands on An aerworx one, think they look a right job.
What are people’s opinions on them ?

If used in some situations when land is in suitable conditions they can have a place.
Hard to quantify an economic return for widespread use.

If you want to open up land an dry it you're best to plough. Makes wonders of land for the next several years imo.
If you are renting land and don't want to invest much wait for a dry spell and hit it with the large roller aerator, the weight does seem to help shatter the ground beneath and open up a deeper crack than just the depth of the blade. But if it makes it drier or produce more I don't know, you'd probably get more response by spreading the equivalent value of fert.

Has there been any studies that prove it actually increases or helps with uptake of slurry or fert. Id like to think it would but is it proven ?

Has there been any studies that prove it actually increases or helps with uptake of slurry or fert. Id like to think it would but is it proven ?
Anecdotal evidence just. It's hard to imagine it could as most new grasses have shallow root systems so nutrients deep in the soil shouldn't have the same effect.
Maybe after slurry the land might recover quicker as there is more surface area for the moisture to be absorbed?
I don't know nothing proven as far as I'm aware.

If we get summers like last year, nature is better than diesel !
Aint that the truth! Amazed the places I could go with the fert spreader without leaving a trace! I know we've less rain than usual but these places would be wet into summer quite often!

This was all the rage a couple of years ago, there was aerators for sale in most yards and you would often meet them on the road. I was just thinking the last day that I never seen one this past year, maybe longer. Was it just a waste of time and diesel doing it.

This was all the rage a couple of years ago, there was aerators for sale in most yards and you would often meet them on the road. I was just thinking the last day that I never seen one this past year, maybe longer. Was it just a waste of time and diesel doing it.
Was wondering the exact same.
Not seen many at all round here recently.

We subsoiled a patch where tractors had been crossing a field, the runs turned yellow initially, but after rain they grew a dark green. Was an obvious line as I broke two points off so gave up half way through.
You'd swear the diference was night and day.
But looking between the rows, nothing much had changed!
Field got digestate few weeks ago. And by now You'd struggle to see the line tbh!

Have there been any proper trials?
Or do the people in the soil world know it isn't worth the time to do?

Diesel is gone expensive to wasting it doing the rounds of fields with very little results. The roller type units don't go deep enough and when the conditions are right for rolling it's to soft to aerate correct. Only way to break a hard pan is with a subsoiler.
Those aerators were never intended to be used at the same time as a roller to be fair.
They are for when ground is at it's driest.

Same goes for sub soilers IMO. Should struggle to get it in the groud and not leave wheel marks from the tractor!

Ground needs to be dry for these to work.
A dry summer does it for free.
Sales of aerators/subsoilers spiked after a few wet years that came together.
I had an aerator and a pan buster,a mushroom farmer bought the aerator and reckons it helps break down the vast amount of compost spread on his Land.
The erth pan buster was a god tool where needed but once we got normal years it had no function in my view

Reactions: AYF
Might be blunt so apologies.

I think these are a bit like fashion, they come and go.

In the 90s, there were a lot of Tanco versions sold which were much simpler but did the same job. They quickly died off to.

Reactions: AYF
I have one of these https://ritchie-d.co.uk/product/grassland-aerator-2-5m/ , it gets occasional use, I have an idea to use it on half a silage stubble and splash plate the whole field with slurry and see if there is any difference.
I have always noticed a big difference between injecting and a trailing shoe so I'd imagine you will have a noticeable difference on the parts that are aerated. It would be an interesting experiment to see

Back