Airator

AYF

Theoretically we should all be running round with subsoilers and airators whilst the ground is this hard.
Question is can you end up drying a field out beyond repair if you did it now?? with another 10 days at least of dry weather promised.

Plan to go with the mole plough at about 14 inches, but it will not be until I see rain in the forecast.

Drought is the second best aerator, frost winning the top spot. Mechanical methods after that. I wouldnt be getting in a panic about aerating at all.

Reactions: AYF
Why wait for near rain mucky? Reason I ask is I’m planning on a mole plough on some of our flat heavy inch land next few days?

I'd be afraid it would dry out too much. I want to mole plough between stone drains. This ground is already showing signs of drought.

There's plenty of glaze around here with only between 3 and 6 inches of soil in most fields. After that it's marl or daub

Wouldn't be much different to the farm at home. If the marl is damp then that is ideal as the expander with polish the sides of the mole.

An aerator won't penetrate hard ground.
Subsoiler might but draught and wear will be high
I was thinking the big roller type ones. They were designed for these conditions

@Ozzy Scott do you recon nature will do it over time? Or that the airators themselves are a waste?
Have a field here that is sed to keep the sheep that have had their lambs sold or weened. It's used because it's landlocked by other fields so any mass escapes are contained.
It is also seriously wet on top in the winter.
Dig down 6 inch or less and it's dry. Roots also don't penetrate well.
My thinking is a good spiking would sort it.

Wouldn't be much different to the farm at home. If the marl is damp then that is ideal as the expander with polish the sides of the mole.

Yes, I don't think the marl would ever dry out so that you couldn't mould it. This is what we are using. 4" expander - well it was 4". Closer to 3.5" now. Biggest mistake is trying to plough too deep. Moles close to the top work better than a mole 12 down the marl.

mole-plough-green.jpg

Yes, I don't think the marl would ever dry out so that you couldn't mould it. This is what we are using. 4" expander - well it was 4". Closer to 3.5" now. Biggest mistake is trying to plough too deep. Moles close to the top work better than a mole 12 down the marl.

mole-plough-green.jpg
At what width apart do you think you should go?

I'm not only aerating. I'm putting in drainage channels for when its wet again. It takes about 2 litre of diesel per acre. Tractor is little more than ticking over.

mole ploughing isnt aeration IMV. mole ploughing is a serious job but I would be getting it done now in dry conditions

For moling I think you are supposed to be deep enough to reach the stone above the drainage pipes. Putting them shallow at 6in is not going to work as they will collapse with the weight of machinery or if you plough then you are going to remove them.

Back