anti virus

G

right who is our resident pc helpline then?

I used to run Panda, and have done so for years, and was pleased with it, but this last 12 months it has been slowing all down terribly, and the cost has trebled, so I uninstalled it, and installled AVG on 30 days free, all ran ok, but then the 30days were up so I accepted the free version:thumbdown:
I have this afternoon tried to un install the damn thing...many times, I eventually found an uninstall utility,(it will not uninstall through the add remove programs) and saved that to desktop and then ran it, but it seems I still have some files in c/avg temp: do I just delete these from where they are, or do I need to run some other type of clean up utility?
I have installed Microsoft security essentials and windows defender, have I done right? It says my pc is fully protected, so I assume I have a firewall and Av running now....why is it all so confusing:001_rolleyes:

TIA

AVG is quite renowned for being good, there is a totally FREE version and this has no trial extension, you have to search the site a little harder to find it, Iv ran it on 3 PCs with no problems.... although the scan will slow computers lacking in RAM to a crawl but can be scheduled to work in the dead of night IR.....

personally I wouldn't delete anything that an install utility has left, these can an often are registry links or similar and can render windows unbootable...

Its not Vista per chance your running, this is the likely cause of your problems its a real shed of an OP system:no:

there is an alternative free Anti virus, cant remember the name but can soon find out, I wouldn't put my faith in defender as this is likely to have the mountain of holes that windows has (the whole reason we need to run anti virus)..

i got avast . no idea if its any good or not but it been running more than a year and ive never had a virus . b carful if you start deleting stuff , been down that road before fortunatly the restore brought my sound card back :whistling:

For some reason since I accepted the free AVG web pages have been loading slow and hanging a fair bit, so I concurred it was the AVG:001_unsure:
Now, i have the MSE installed all seems ok, have taken the advise and left the bits where they are, and MSE is running ok, no conflicts anywhere so fingers x'd.
Ta:thumbup1:

Back