Are hybrid cars all they are cracked up to be?

Discussion in 'On and off road' started by Arthur, Nov 9, 2017.

1. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

why?

If they're buying, why not sell to them :)

2. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Huh?

3. ponderosa

ponderosa Well-Known Member

Electric, wind and solar were all created by genius trying to make a positive change. Then, got taken over by big businessmen who regularly push governments into buying/backing the product regardless of how good it is.
    Then it takes a couple decades and a new government to accept that it was a mistake and by then, the big business men will be ready to push something else.

CORK likes this.
  4. jc1160

jc1160 Well-Known Member

Am interested in this as we are contemplating changing the car here. Currently have diesel but majority of time it’s used on short trips for school etc. One vehicle that has caught our attention is the Mitsubishi Outlander which is a plug in hybrid. We need something with a bit of space so that is why we need that size of a vehicle. Hard to decide what to go for but on paper it looks like it ticks a lot of the boxes!

5. diesel power

diesel power Well-Known Member

Try and talk to someone who has one of those vehicles and get their opinion on it. The reason I say that is because I know 2 people with hybrids and both have said their cars are at best no more economical then full diesel cars and worst might be slightly harder on fuel. One of the cars is a Toyota but not a prius. I can't remember exactly other then it has a huge arse on it. I think the other car is a Nissan but not sure on that.
    Would a full electric car be better if short runs are all it will be doing?.

6. headcase

headcase Very Senior Member

My Mrs's 330d will do about 45mpg with her driving local
    I did get 61mpg on a trip to cornwall last year which I thought was fookin impressive seeing the roads round cornwall

7. humungus

humungus Well-Known Member

and if we change over to electricity where is the government going to get new income to replace the tax they take in on petrol and diesel

Knickam and jf 850 like this.
  8. jc1160

jc1160 Well-Known Member

I spoke to 2 other people that have them and use them similar to what we would be doing. The feedback was good, both were frustrated with the availability of working charging points but at least you are not stuck as you can rely on petrol. Majority of daily drives are under 20 miles so that should be all electric and then at weekends we would be doing longer journeys and motorway use. Haven’t fully made our minds up but they seem to be a good value way of getting into this technology.

9. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

Ah but they will save a fortune on environmental fines..:whistle:

CORK likes this.
  10. humungus

humungus Well-Known Member

ah great , no new taxes then :lol:

CORK likes this.
  11. nashmach

nashmach Well-Known Member

Arthur, were you and your wife not tempted to go with the last of the Diesel Corolla 's or were you simply too late?

12. Arthur

Arthur Well-Known Member

We traded a diesel 181 with 60,000 km, it was a top spec corolla a sol, the hybrid is a Luna sport, the sol was not nice as I think the low sidewall tyres didn't suit it's suspension and country roads, even a lot of road noise, its predecessor a142 Luna was a nicer drive. Also we were getting vat and a share of vrt off because wife's mother is being cared for so disability allowance and zero road tax so back to new costing 40 euro a month less, the 40 is probably used up in fuel costs and whether we will be better off when it comes to the next change only time will tell.

nashmach likes this.
  13. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

my accountant has one and loves it,ok it doesn’t look great (she had a golf before) but the fact it’s used £400 in electric and fuel to do 12000m is pretty impressive.

jc1160 and gone like this.
  14. diesel power

Thats sounds a bit pricey for 12 km. The Dodge is cheaper to run then that :laugh:. I'm guessing you mean 12k km?.

scoffcruddle and jf 850 like this.
  15. jay gatsby

jay gatsby Well-Known Member

Miles I'd have said??

scoffcruddle and gone like this.
  16. scoffcruddle

scoffcruddle Well-Known Member

Miles

17. diesel power

Aye it's a bit obvious now you mention it. I'm over metric ized by the looks of it :blushing:

scoffcruddle and jay gatsby like this.
  18. Username

Username Well-Known Member

19. ponderosa

ponderosa Well-Known Member

Old crewcab here does 28 to the gallon in old money. Approx 200k on the clock. But as long as she ll stay going, it s far more carbon friendly than buying any new hybrid IMO. Its there anyway and will probably still be driving for someone when todays hybrid will be calling for a new battery

MF30, Paw and jf 850 like this.
  20. Paw

Paw Well-Known Member

Username likes this.