At the mart...

what type of a weanling would they after breed/weight/sex etc.

Hard to know. They have bought several different types over the year from suckler bred to dairy bred. It doesn't matter too much. If they can get that kind of numbers out of the system, then it will help beef prices.

Last couple of years for the Turkish trade, they have bought continental weanlings only and only coloured cattle, no blacks limousins even. Usually charolais, limousin and simmental only with a max weight for a batch of 350kg, lower at times. I have sold heifers and bulls to this trade in the past.

Turkey have an order placed for 100,000 weanlings at the back end. Should put a good floor in the market.

All well and good to announce it but will it come to anything. Currency fluctuations could easily screw it up and will the economics stack up based on current weanling prices :undecided:

I remain sceptical.

Lad sent me a video of a cow and calf making 3700 in manorhamilton mart. Limo x cow and admittedly a show quality Charlie bull calf. Somebody has confidence or money
Saw that myself, absolute madness, but sure once people are happy that is the main thing.

Lad sent me a video of a cow and calf making 3700 in manorhamilton mart. Limo x cow and admittedly a show quality Charlie bull calf. Somebody has confidence or money

Sure all cattle make that sort of money up here..... do ye not get them sort of prices down there ? :whistle::whistle::whistle:

Winter Fair used to be a big event in Carrick on Shannon before they started having them in every other mart in the country. A neighbor of ours had a "wonder calf" back at the time of the second year of the sales. (You'd wonder where she came from). A fantastic looking BB heifer calf. All of the right shapes etc. He sold her for €5500 at the time. She was bought by a big builder and nobody ever heard anything from her again at the shows or the sales. Speaking years after it, he reckons that yer man was just burying money for tax because it was in the height of the boom in 2006.

Several lads asked him if they could see the cow, but he wouldn't let anyone in. I saw her across the hedge - she was as brown as a mouse.

At mart yesterday selling a 12month old Bullock the auctioneer called out 3 times he was a full bull and the men around the ring knew more than me was getting 725 told him to let him out went to get pass out for him and mart manager got him checked in chute he was 100% Bullock so he put him back in made 935 by a v red face auctioneer goes to show how close dealers and some not all auctioneer s are

In general, with farming the way it is currently, and the exodus from suckling, what do people think will be the the value of reasonable quality continental spring calving suckler cows this autumn / winter? Talking about cows calving January, February and March in calf to a continental bull, aged from min 3 to say max 10 years. No calves at foot included, I am talking about cows scanned in calf that have been fully weaned.

At mart yesterday selling a 12month old Bullock the auctioneer called out 3 times he was a full bull and the men around the ring knew more than me was getting 725 told him to let him out went to get pass out for him and mart manager got him checked in chute he was 100% Bullock so he put him back in made 935 by a v red face auctioneer goes to show how close dealers and some not all auctioneer s are

Were you not in the box to sell him and correct the auctioneer yourself?

I
Were you not in the box to sell him and correct the auctioneer yourself?
I was in the box I told him before he started he was a Bullock as I said he told me the men around the ring knew more than me . He didn't think I was going to say let him out .he must have his mates who are there every week .picking up cheap cattle from quiet farmers .What u sow u must reap

W
I

I was in the box I told him before he started he was a Bullock as I said he told me the men around the ring knew more than me . He didn't think I was going to say let him out .he must have his mates who are there every week .picking up cheap cattle from quiet farmers .What u sow u must reap
what Mart?

I

Sounds very odd thing to happen. It would be pretty clear from looking if it was a bull or Bullock, who the auctioneer was trying to fool is another matter.

Auctioneers with friends dont last around for long thankfully.

In general, with farming the way it is currently, and the exodus from suckling, what do people think will be the the value of reasonable quality continental spring calving suckler cows this autumn / winter? Talking about cows calving January, February and March in calf to a continental bull, aged from min 3 to say max 10 years. No calves at foot included, I am talking about cows scanned in calf that have been fully weaned.

Any opinions?

Any chance that mart is a big new mart in the centre of the south? No need to go mentioning names.

Any opinions?
I know very little about the price of cows, but have studied the price of grain in detail for many years and if I has able to know what price grain will be in a few months time I would be earning a multi million salary or be a billionaire.
The question you asked is pretty much impossible to answer, what is going to happen re Brexit, what is going to happen re Covid and what is going to happen re US-UK trade talks?
There are too many variables in meat trade at the moment for most people to even dream about the answer to your question.
Sorry I am no help, just an impossible question to answer.

Sold a few heifers today aax 15 months between 327 and 335 kgs e700 an old wh 19 month 400kg e740. Carried one for a neighbour 34kgs only make e645 it was poor enough he told them he wouldn't take it to try get another 30 for her but there was no budge from the buyer

Sold a few heifers today aax 15 months between 327 and 335 kgs e700 an old wh 19 month 400kg e740. Carried one for a neighbour 34kgs only make e645 it was poor enough he told them he wouldn't take it to try get another 30 for her but there was no budge from the buyer
I had an AAX heifer only made 330c/kg in the factory last week. A good 600kg liveweight it was. Disaster.

Back