At the mart...

Saw this weeks IFJ and it says Mart prices have strengthened. Any truth in that? I haven't been out to a mart lately.

That is it exactly, basically finished with milk and good to go on grass with some very cheap meal probably just rolled barley to keep them thriving.

Not quite weanlings candor.

Not weanlings but weaned off milk. Dairy calves is what you're looking for right?

My dad was in carnew mart today, with fr bull calves, he bloody brought 4 of them home, no bids on them. The usual 25/30 of the others. I stopped short on telling him he should have left them on the side of the road driving home.

Any reared calves making an appearance yet? Or will it be another month or so till we into the new quota year?

Some in carrigallen today ,born from mid dec 13 to mid jan 14
Making around €300 Fr bulls fairly holstein'y
Calf trade in general seemed to improved.

First time in two months being at the mart today. It didn't do me much good either.

I don't think too many there had sold cattle recently.

550kg bullocks making near 1200.

310/320 Limo's making 2.60/kg.

AA's 280kg made 760.

FR's tough going and most there were two year old and less than 500kgs.

Hope some sense of cop on is in place soon!

Flippin 'ek are lads taking leave of their senses or whats happening?. I'm almost glad I'm locked up this weather the way I hear things are round the rings.

Whats your opinion on registering as a feedlot Ozzy?. I've been looking into it.

havnt done it yet, but must as if I get one that goes down again I will have to retest everything again. Is your grazing lands dispersed? only real difference is animal can never leave the herd again. Even say a weanling heifer that turns up in calf couldnt be returned to the owner

havnt done it yet, but must as if I get one that goes down again I will have to retest everything again. Is your grazing lands dispersed? only real difference is animal can never leave the herd again. Even say a weanling heifer that turns up in calf couldnt be returned to the owner

Everything is in one block and surrounded by either tillage, the main Dublin Cork railway line or Forestry. The double fenced bounds might be a tripping point but I think I might have that covered anyway. It's all bullocks here and we haven't sold to a mart in years and no intention of any time soon. It's the recent change to the buying in permit that has me considering the change, before you could get the permit and buy away but now you have to have one clear test before they'll give the permit to buy in which isn't really ideal.

Big black and white sale in Thurles today, Fresian trade is continuing poor but most others seem to be getting dearer, HEX up at €450 with the weight:eek: CHX €550 with the weight, bought 5 CHX and 5 LMX April-Aug 13's avg 304kg's at avg€757.

Big black and white sale in Thurles today, Fresian trade is continuing poor but most others seem to be getting dearer, HEX up at €450 with the weight:eek: CHX €550 with the weight, bought 5 CHX and 5 LMX April-Aug 13's avg 304kg's at avg€757.

€2.50/kg - they made enough anyway if you don't mind me saying so!

Any one know what 400 kg blue and limo heifers are making these days haven't got a chance to scout the mart yet but have a few that I might move on if the price is right

Back