At the mart...

Lads have spring Feb 17 fresian bullocks to sell over next month. Normally average 540kgs. What way are they going on the marts ?

Congratulations on having 7 month old fr bullocks weighing approx. 540gk, please let us in on the secret on what your feeding them as I would love to get some of it ??:scratchhead::clap::clap::lol::lol:

So two winters and two summers :confused3::huh:

A bit of feeding the first summer and finish out of the house would surely work better? They must be very close to 30 months at that?

Anyone buying autumn 2016 or spring 2017 bullocks lately? Might be looking for a few for outwintering yet? HEX LMX R grade types. Just wondering how they are going.

A grand system, for a retired person with a pension or still working and earning a wage.
Giving €945 for calves and keeping them for near two years, until they are 30 months for €100 or even €200 is a waste of time.
Feeding them "good quality" silage for two winters, not a hope of them being fit off grass in June even with meal.

That said it probably won't matter or be noticed at least half the cattle being killed are not fit.

I know a few lads at this type of farming and doing similar.
Their buying in good bull weaning squeezing them .
I don't know how you make it stack up . That second winter would be a deal breaker for me any way
Unless you could winter them outside, and you won't do that with too many .
God I don't know how you could call it low cost.
I would consider it less work to feed meal to cattle when the are indoors.

Moving on from it..

If you had suckler bred CH or LM bullocks that were ~ 550kg going into the shed in november, what would you need to be feeding them to finish them out of the shed in spring? Or maybe a better question, if you had good quality silage (70 DMD), how many kg of meal (say rolled barley) would you need to feed for how many days to finish along with the silage? What would be the target finish weight? Would it be possible to achieve in excess of 1kg/day?

I think ye are reading what I said wrong lads. I quoted a minimum of €100 on a bad year.

Look at it this way. Last june his U grade limousin were slaughtered at 27 months weighing 750kg. So for example, they kill out at approx 55%. That's 410kg. Base price was €4.15 and he got €4.40/kg with QA and all. Some of his animals came in at €1820 (Actually he had some that made over €1900). So he had approx €875 after his purchase price. That's a lot more than €100 clear.

Are these your own cattle? Is it a hypothetical situation? Or how do you know so much about an other farmers business?

Are these your own cattle? Is it a hypothetical situation? Or how do you know so much about an other farmers business?

It's my wife's next door neighbour. I do his farm paperwork online for him and often move cattle for him or help him out at silage time. In exchange he keeps an eye on our cattle on the days that we aren't there. I know about it because he's the sort of lad that when it comes to cattle, he will go through everything that he plans in his head, then he'll go through it with one or 2 of his trusted people and justify it with his calculator.

Moving on from it..

If you had suckler bred CH or LM bullocks that were ~ 550kg going into the shed in november, what would you need to be feeding them to finish them out of the shed in spring? Or maybe a better question, if you had good quality silage (70 DMD), how many kg of meal (say rolled barley) would you need to feed for how many days to finish along with the silage? What would be the target finish weight? Would it be possible to achieve in excess of 1kg/day?
Just silage and let back to grass, cattle i could have finished last April out of the shed grossed €200+ extra after costs when killed in June 17.

Moving on from it..

Depends on your ground really. If they were mine I'd be feeding them on in the shed. Lot easier to graze lighter cattle in the spring and in my book get greater bang for your Buck.

4kg would go a long way.

Moving on from it..

Moving back a bit...
There really is only one way to know, I'm assuming these are weanlings bought this time last year?
Put them in, push a pen of them and see how they do in comparison to leaving a bunch of them to go off grass next year.
It will take serious feeding to get them fit, haven't had bullocks here in years, others will have more experience, I'd be inclined to feed them silage and a good ration 15%cp, they are still relatively young stock, that would see them grow and put on a bit of flesh, get them to 630 to 650kg, then power on with the feeding, they'll eat 11 to 12kg/day when they're going well.

A friend of mine sold 2016 born limousin heifers (autumn born) yesterday and they averaged €2.60/kg with weights of between 440kg and 480kg. That's good money - up 20c/kg on this time last year and bought by the same man as bought them last year. He also had a cull cow out that he brought home 3 weeks ago because he felt that he was not getting enough for her (She had got a cut coming in on the trailer the first day) and he got €180 more from the same dealer that had been bidding for her 3 weeks previously.

and he got €180 more from the same dealer that had been bidding for her 3 weeks previously.

you mean there was an underbidder there, prepared to pay €180 more than 3 weeks ago.

* most of the regular buyers around the rings are not dealers, they are just buying for themselves.

A friend of mine sold 2016 born limousin heifers (autumn born) yesterday and they averaged €2.60/kg with weights of between 440kg and 480kg. That's good money - up 20c/kg on this time last year and bought by the same man as bought them last year. He also had a cull cow out that he brought home 3 weeks ago because he felt that he was not getting enough for her (She had got a cut coming in on the trailer the first day) and he got €180 more from the same dealer that had been bidding for her 3 weeks previously.

Were they potential E grades or what mucky or do I need to bang the calculator off the ground again :scratchhead::scratchhead:

Were they potential E grades or what mucky or do I need to bang the calculator off the ground again :scratchhead::scratchhead:

Mind that ould calculator. It could be useful down the line.
I would say good quality u grade. Did you see the prices for ch bullocks in roscommon mart last week on mart reports? I think there were some pics in yesterday's journal too. 550kg making €1550.

Mind that ould calculator. It could be useful down the line.
I would say good quality u grade. Did you see the prices for ch bullocks in roscommon mart last week on mart reports? I think there were some pics in yesterday's journal too. 550kg making €1550.

Saw that alright, Calculator got very hot :blushing:

The key there is Special, my own view is that's the day to stay at home.

Others may disagree.

(And of course quoting like that really annoys me, we don't sell as X over the weight)

The key there is Special, my own view is that's the day to stay at home.

Others may disagree.

(And of course quoting like that really annoys me, we don't sell as X over the weight)

Ah I can't comment really. It is just what was posted on aurivos Facebook page. The one thing that I did notice around town yesterday was artic cattle trucks. They are a rare sight around Mohill and there were a couple of them there yesterday. I was in town at 10pm and there were 2 loads of them going off. One of them had "hundland" on the front and it was heading north and the other headed east. A friend who works there recons that factory feed lots were the main buyers.

Have stock taken a dip in value over the last week or so?i has my last load of weanlings in this week at less money than before.
On the other side I have a few 500kg bulls to sell and interest Is weak

Mohill today 2010 cow 935 kg €1680
View attachment 48470 View attachment 48471
Was she yours?
I have 2 pedigree limousin cows for mohill at the end of the month. Both only had 1 calf, 1 had a twisted calf bed and the other put out her calf bed. I'd be hoping that they are 800kg+.

Over the years I have concluded that I can't realise the same amount of money for cull cows in the factory as I can get in the mart. At the end of the day they are all going to the factory anyway.

Was she yours?
I have 2 pedigree limousin cows for mohill at the end of the month. Both only had 1 calf, 1 had a twisted calf bed and the other put out her calf bed. I'd be hoping that they are 800kg+.

Over the years I have concluded that I can't realise the same amount of money for cull cows in the factory as I can get in the mart. At the end of the day they are all going to the factory anyway.

No not mine , I sold 3 heifers at a bad price.
I know the man who sold her. He's a decent elderly bachelor farmer,with only a few cattle.

I used to finish cull cows (mostly Friesian) but I could never get it to stack up.
I thought the feeders who have numbers can get that bit more in the factory.
I was usually disappointed with the return from the factory.

Back