At the mart...

Everything is back in price this week. Must be the weather. Had a cull cow out today. 620kg €1215. Feeder cows could be picked up handy enough.

Store bullocks and heifers were nothing special either but there wasn't a lot of the out.

Everything is back in price this week. Must be the weather. Had a cull cow out today. 620kg €1215. Feeder cows could be picked up handy enough.

Store bullocks and heifers were nothing special either but there wasn't a lot of the out.
The journal snapchat was in balla mart today, I was shocked at the weight of some of the cattle their and I presume they were from suckler stock.
Limo bullock oct 16 375kgs, March 16 Charolais cross heifer 395 kgs, what the feic happend.....

The journal snapchat was in balla mart today, I was shocked at the weight of some of the cattle their and I presume they were from suckler stock.
Limo bullock oct 16 375kgs, March 16 Charolais cross heifer 395 kgs, what the feic happend.....

That's the usual craic I'm afraid, the usual trick is to mix them in with ones a year younger :rolleyes2:, does my head in.

Big cattle a good trade today for anything over 550 and to be finished within 30 months, around the same prices as you got gone.

More 2017 stock around as well. Around the same price as last year at this stage for the same quality. Hearing a few say 'I'm buying from next week, just in for a look ' glad to have a nice proportion bought.

That mart wouldn't be too far away from me and believe me at nearly any given week you will see an odd few of them come along. Usually bucket fed calf's or suckler that nearly didn't make it due to some illness.
Suppose some farmers are just looking at having the numbers :scratchhead:

That mart wouldn't be too far away from me and believe me at nearly any given week you will see an odd few of them come along. Usually bucket fed calf's or suckler that nearly didn't make it due to some illness.
Suppose some farmers are just looking at having the numbers :scratchhead:

There's lads around here with them too. They spread no fertilizer, feed no meal. Feed everything in the one block.

It costs money to keep them either way, best to try to get the most out of them .

Lads have a mix of angus and ho/fr yearling bullocks to sell. Feb 17 age. Around 320kgs at a guess. Whats the go of them in the marts? Im down land this year as normally sell at 18/20 months. Should i sell now or hold? Have silage for a month.

Lads have a mix of angus and ho/fr yearling bullocks to sell. Feb 17 age. Around 320kgs at a guess. Whats the go of them in the marts? Im down land this year as normally sell at 18/20 months. Should i sell now or hold? Have silage for a month.

If you can hold, then do so until the end of the month when hopefully grass will be growing. There's good buying for suckler bred stock, but dairy bred stuff has gone back a little with the weather and the lack of grass.

A local hauler was telling my father on Sunday that he had 3 loads of cattle , 51 cattle , forThurles on Monday morning. Said he rarely had 2 loads , and never 3 runs.

Bank holiday brings them out.

Mart numbers are gone small around here. KT advisor was doing a survey during the week of numbers of cattle left to sell and he recons that the marts in April and may around here will be half of what they were this time last year. A lot of lads offloaded because of fodder shortage before christmas. Anyone that held out might be rewarded in another month.

If you can hold, then do so until the end of the month when hopefully grass will be growing. There's good buying for suckler bred stock, but dairy bred stuff has gone back a little with the weather and the lack of grass.

Anything to be gained by feeding meal to them now?

Iv a few bb yearlings, thing i may go with them next week, i would have liked to hold out for another few weeks but the fodder is getting fairly tight at this stage!! Sold a few cull cows today, not far off fit to kill, i was happy enough with the way the went, there was a few good square bf cows out makeing 600/750, taugh they should of made another 150/200 a head

For the Angus if good square lads, 2.00 to 2.10/kg.

For the FR, the trade is fickle at the moment and depends on there shape, maybe around 1.80.

We sold a pen of weanling bulls today. Aside from the drama of an accident before the mart started, prices were steady.

280 to 350 kg. €800 to €1075.

Mostly CH but a couple of shorthorns. The shorthorns off heifers were the lowest prices but we did have 2 shorthorns off LM and CH cows cross the €1000.
Good to ease a bit of pressure on fodder.

Nothing wrong with those prices mucky, happy enough?
Yea. Most were may calves. 4 of them July and august. Can't complain. They will cover themselves and after the last 7 months of weather that's better than a lot of people will do.

We sold a pen of weanling bulls today. Aside from the drama of an accident before the mart started, prices were steady.

280 to 350 kg. €800 to €1075.

Mostly CH but a couple of shorthorns. The shorthorns off heifers were the lowest prices but we did have 2 shorthorns off LM and CH cows cross the €1000.
Good to ease a bit of pressure on fodder.
Very good price,they must have been first class animals.Was there many cattle at the mart?I had planned taking yearling bullocks and heifers to the mart today but a man who does a lot of dealing advised me to wait till the weather improved. He said there would be neither cattle nor buyers there today.Looks like he was wrong.

Very good price,they must have been first class animals.Was there many cattle at the mart?I had planned taking yearling bullocks and heifers to the mart today but a man who does a lot of dealing advised me to wait till the weather improved. He said there would be neither cattle nor buyers there today.Looks like he was wrong.

Mart was small enough with less than 100 bullocks. Our cattle were fed and for a specific type of buyer. Had planned to bring yearlings too. They'd be classed more as feeders. Don't think the trade is where it should be for that type just yet but with grass in a week or 2 will come buyers.

Back