At the mart...

It's hard to get the kind of cattle you want in bunches. There's usually a middling one included. I've often seem a bunch of 3 come in with 2 been smashing cattle and one screw. The catch there is your bidding on the good ones but paying the same price for the poorer one. It can go the other way to sometimes and the poor lad will drag down the price of the bunch but usually not.
i never thought of that one , thanks for the tip DP i,ll use it the next time i,m at the mart

It's hard to get the kind of cattle you want in bunches. There's usually a middling one included. I've often seem a bunch of 3 come in with 2 been smashing cattle and one screw. The catch there is your bidding on the good ones but paying the same price for the poorer one. It can go the other way to sometimes and the poor lad will drag down the price of the bunch but usually not.

You can't expect bunches to be exactly even. It is far better for stock to arrive on Farm in a bunch, at least they have a group they are used to. Always a nagging doubt too that a single is being sold as theres something wrong with them.

It also takes as long to sell a single as a group.

Weanlings would be sold singly and cows but most stores are in bunches.

Some lads would get a great shock if they went to the States where they are sold in 50's and more!

You can't expect bunches to be exactly even. It is far better for stock to arrive on Farm in a bunch, at least they have a group they are used to. Always a nagging doubt too that a single is being sold as theres something wrong with them.

It also takes as long to sell a single as a group.

Weanlings would be sold singly and cows but most stores are in bunches.

Some lads would get a great shock if they went to the States where they are sold in 50's and more!
Oh I know a bunch can be variable at times but there's almost always a very middling yoke left into a bunch of otherwise very good cattle.

Usually in a tanglers bunch, they could look even enough but one will be ages older.
Guaranteed in a jobbers bunch alright but there's plenty lads out there who genuinely think yellow hair is yellow hair and can't see past it. A lot of lads also get the jobbers to take cattle to the mart for them and let the same buckos do the pairing up.

Guaranteed in a jobbers bunch alright but there's plenty lads out there who genuinely think yellow hair is yellow hair and can't see past it. A lot of lads also get the jobbers to take cattle to the mart for them and let the same buckos do the pairing up.
The usual trick used to be one nice one one average and one plain sold together. The plain lad was where they made money

Ya the dealer type lads would often buy singles and put a bunch together for selling, usually a middling one mixed in as you say. With the cost of commission and haulage you'd wonder how they make a living nowadays.

Ya the dealer type lads would often buy singles and put a bunch together for selling, usually a middling one mixed in as you say. With the cost of commission and haulage you'd wonder how they make a living nowadays.
I'd buy in Thurles mostly, theres a lad comes from Longford with stock and half the time takes them home again,he has a value on them and if they don't make it no sale, he could be in for a hard time next spring..

sorry to go off topic,but when looking at mart sheets you have lmx and lim to describe Limousins ,what makes a Limousin a Limousin cross

I'd buy in Thurles mostly, theres a lad comes from Longford with stock and half the time takes them home again,he has a value on them and if they don't make it no sale, he could be in for a hard time next spring..

He shows stock in both Templemore and Roscrea , as well . I cannot understand what he is at . He wouldn't sell 20 % of the stock he puts through the ring .
I personally have found if I were to put 1 poorer animal with 2 better cattle in a lot to sell in the mart, that the price you will get will be more in line with the value of the poorer animal . Unless you have a show winner, along with something lesser .
It is well worth anyone's while to properly match animals in a lot . Buyers are not fools , and know what they want . Similar quality animals in a lot matters more than having 1 , 2 , 3 , or 10 animals in a bunch , to achieving the best prices.

He shows stock in both Templemore and Roscrea , as well . I cannot understand what he is at . He wouldn't sell 20 % of the stock he puts through the ring .
I personally have found if I were to put 1 poorer animal with 2 better cattle in a lot to sell in the mart, that the price you will get will be more in line with the value of the poorer animal . Unless you have a show winner, along with something lesser .
It is well worth anyone's while to properly match animals in a lot . Buyers are not fools , and know what they want . Similar quality animals in a lot matters more than having 1 , 2 , 3 , or 10 animals in a bunch , to achieving the best prices.
Our mans initials, MM?

sorry to go off topic,but when looking at mart sheets you have lmx and lim to describe Limousins ,what makes a Limousin a Limousin cross

Usually the "x" denotes dairy bred stock . Eg a Limousin from a Fr cow. FRx usually applies to some Jersey , or other dairy breed in the makeup of the animal.

Our mans initials, MM?

Watch the next time you see him selling. There is nobody bidding for a lot of them other than the auctioneer, then somtimes they get a victim and drop the hammer. If the auctioneers the highest bidder they say no sale.

Usually the "x" denotes dairy bred stock . Eg a Limousin from a Fr cow. FRx usually applies to some Jersey , or other dairy breed in the makeup of the animal.

Think if the mother is not a limousine it will be lmx whether she's a dairy or beef cow. If she's a limo cow then it would be lm

Back