At the mart...

It was noticable at marts locally over the weekend that a number of feedlot buyers were back around the ring where they haven't been seen in over 2 months. They were picking out the nicer store cattle and put a bottom in the price for them which had been poor. Weanling prices have slipped if anything, but definitely not risen.

It was noticable at marts locally over the weekend that a number of feedlot buyers were back around the ring where they haven't been seen in over 2 months. They were picking out the nicer store cattle and put a bottom in the price for them which had been poor. Weanling prices have slipped if anything, but definitely not risen.

If some of the feedlots are back, it will mean a departure of many of the other customers as from a finishing POV, cattle have to be at todays price unfortunately

The near fleshed to kill near and over 30 month cattle were a good bit sharper but still depressing, however 2018 birthday coloured steers are flying. Up to 2.40 a kg.

sorry to go off topic,but when looking at mart sheets you have lmx and lim to describe Limousins ,what makes a Limousin a Limousin cross
The x just means that it's not a purebred/pedigree animal. It could be that one or the other, or both, parents are not themselves purebred/pedigree animals, or they could both be purebred/pedigree but of different breeds.

Anyone sold or bought fr bull or Angus calves from dairy cows lately? 15-30 days old. I’ve some to sell and not sure what price to ask as I have a guy coming to the yard. As calves go they are very nice and doing well off autumn calving dairy cows.

Anyone sold or bought fr bull or Angus calves from dairy cows lately? 15-30 days old. I’ve some to sell and not sure what price to ask as I have a guy coming to the yard. As calves go they are very nice and doing well off autumn calving dairy cows.
Neighbour sold fr calves recently in mart, same age E50 and they were well done, he was disappointed.

5 euro to 50 euro is what fr bulls made in carrigallen last Saturday. I've a young lad that gets out of bed at 5am every morning and wakes me up telling me that he's bored. If he was a small bit older, santa would be bringing him a few fr bulls. He wouldn't be as keen to get up so early then I'll bet.

5 euro to 50 euro is what fr bulls made in carrigallen last Saturday. I've a young lad that gets out of bed at 5am every morning and wakes me up telling me that he's bored. If he was a small bit older, santa would be bringing him a few fr bulls. He wouldn't be as keen to get up so early then I'll bet.
If he is found of early mornings and animals then I think it is a few Fr heifers might be the way to go. :fight:

I got a couple of calves here 2 yes ago for the lads ,7 and 10 at the time.
It has given the. A great interest (hmm) and gets them out doing things and off devices.
Got 6 ths year and will have 40 next spring due to a contract rearing arrangement

Cattle seem to be on a rising plain in the marts. Its being helped by smaller numbers. If it keeps going like this, spring weanling trade might be ok. Although there are a lot of other variables that could kick in before that.

They have pick up now, iv got all mine sold, sure what else would they do!!:undecided:

Cattle seem to be on a rising plain in the marts. Its being helped by smaller numbers. If it keeps going like this, spring weanling trade might be ok. Although there are a lot of other variables that could kick in before that.
Cattle are rising in my shed anyway with the amount of cheap straw I'm putting under them, I'm holding off buying in young cattle this year as the price difference between weanlings and store cattle isn't huge. As with straw, the price can only rise at this stage...:scratchhead:

Anyone know what the shippers are paying for friesian bulls ?
Either 250-300 kg fr bulls or the heavier ones ?

Anyone know what the shippers are paying for friesian bulls ?
Either 250-300 kg fr bulls or the heavier ones ?

A local dealer called at the weekend looking for Fresians bulls only 250 - 300 kg ,age didn't seem to matter. No horns or ringworm.
I pushed him on price, but very reluctant to quote without seeing them. Talking about €1.30/kg
I presume thats an opening bid .
Looks poor

I sold 2 cull Fr cows in Roscrea today . Dry for a month , getting 8 lbs meal since . Nice cover but long way from fit to kill. 1/16 had 2 calves 615 kg €725 . 2 /14 had 4 calves 675 kg €815 . Thin raw Fr cows might only make €1 kg to 1.20 .
2 x LM x heifers 4/18 455 kg made €900 .
3 x LM reds 4/18 443 kg €1065 .
1 x LM red 4/18 460 kg €1070.

Hungry rough or plain cattle are a hard sell . A bit of feed isn't money wasted.

Last edited:
What way are heavy near fit bullocks (600/650kg) going?
Should I part now at 600kg or hold for another 4-6 weeks and sell at 650kg?

What way are heavy near fit bullocks (600/650kg) going?
Should I part now at 600kg or hold for another 4-6 weeks and sell at 650kg?
Same boat here. I have a pen that I was thinking about finishing put of the shed but that looks like an expensive option with beef at 3.60. I've no grass for them in march. Been following their type in last weeks marts and mart reports. I'd be putting them down as u grade bar 1 as that's how their brothers graded in previous years. I reckon that they would make 2 euro per kg to 2.10/kg. I'm putting my weights at 550 to 600kg. There seems to be a good bit of optimism about beef prices for later this year. My gut is telling me to keep mine for another 6 or 7 weeks. I'd be happy with 2.20/kg :Thumbp2:

Back