Aubrac

A neighbour had some for years. Small butty things. Hard to push into any weights and my god when you have a bad one you have a bag of bones and thats about it. Not for me anyways but each to their own.

Yes I have them ,great mothers ,I`m getting better conformation than CH son of Doonally new and son of Major but lighter carcasses , also quicker up to suckle as calves,

Ya they are great crosses with the CH. I have a few purebreds and i AI them to LGL CH and they rare some animal.
They would calf anything. I have a few PB calves this year. Nice animals but obviously smaller than your LM or CH calf.
I prefer the xbreeding myself

Just after buying a Aubrac bull. Heard good reports about them and was impressed with the quality of stock in the herd he came from. Bought 2 cows in calf to Aubrac a few years ago. When they calved the calves were small and wasn't impressed. When brought in to be weaned they were totally different. Both of them killed out at good weights and quicker compared to the rest of the herd. That sparked my interest in them. Hopefully it will be the same with the calves from the new bull

Had the odd aubrac cross bullock here and tbh I can't fault them. Fine animal and weighed and killed out well. Ch crosses though so that probably helped a bit.

what advantage do aubrac have over angus or hereford ?

Just after buying a Aubrac bull. Heard good reports about them and was impressed with the quality of stock in the herd he came from. Bought 2 cows in calf to Aubrac a few years ago. When they calved the calves were small and wasn't impressed. When brought in to be weaned they were totally different. Both of them killed out at good weights and quicker compared to the rest of the herd. That sparked my interest in them. Hopefully it will be the same with the calves from the new bull

How did that Aubrac bull fare for you @jc1160 ?
You must have a fair idea of the type of stock he is sireing by now.

How did that Aubrac bull fare for you @jc1160 ?
You must have a fair idea of the type of stock he is sireing by now.

Am very happy with him so far. Very docile and easy handle. Am happy with the calves from him. Don’t look as good as charolais but I finish them so makes no odds. Kill out well and seem to weigh very well for there size. As a part time suckler farmer they are a dream to calve. Small calf but very lively. Never had to handle a calf or try to get one to suck, often watched it on the camera they would be up and sucking within 20 mins of being born. Don’t think you would get top prices if you were selling them as weanlings but if finishing them I think they are worth considering.

Anyone ever used Aubrac bulls on friesian cows? Was thinking of buying one this year. Have heard they're easy calving but dont know much more about them any information would be greatly appreciated.

Anyone ever used Aubrac bulls on friesian cows? Was thinking of buying one this year. Have heard they're easy calving but dont know much more about them any information would be greatly appreciated.
Get on well with them. Easy calving and tough. Calves are worth something too, if you're into that sort of cattle.

Yes a bit like AA ,I think cow condition would have as much of an effect on calf size as AA verses AU iukwim

Would be hoping to use them on heifers myself. Seem like a good bull to use so. Have one half bought from a man that used one on heifers last year and planned on getting into cows but his plans haven't worked out so he sold all the heifers.

A neighbour had some for years. Small butty things. Hard to push into any weights and my god when you have a bad one you have a bag of bones and thats about it. Not for me anyways but each to their own.
I considered crossing them with friesian Holsteins a few years ago but was told that they resembled jex as young calves so as I was selling all the calves that put me off. However someone mentioned that they grow into mighty animals but your post doesn’t confirm thatZ

Back