Auto Darkening Welding Helmet

I'm not great at welding or do much but I couldn't do without it there a super tool to a amateur like me ,holding up pieces to tac on would be impossible without it...is it like everything the cheaper they are the poorer it is... the second last one I had was slightly slow to kick in and ud be lost without it... they do get some abuse well around here anyway I find there well able to take it...

The grinder has to be the most poisoning thing of all spend an hour or two cutting and there would be some crap comming out your nose after it
I bought a new bandsaw 15 years ago and since then I'd avoid using the grinder if at all possible. The plasma cutter has almost put the grinder into retirement. I have a vice fixed to a mobile bench which I'd wheel out of the workshop if I had a lot of grinding or shaping to do, the dust would be swirling around the workshop for a hour afterwards. A clean tissue and blow your nose will confirm this.

Always use a mask when grinding nowadays. It seems to work too. Earmuffs too.

Reading the comments ye all seem to have had issues with them mostly poor quality brands.
Anyway good or bad they should be no cheap variactions allowed in the quality, they should all be %100 good quality, your eyes are not to be fooled around with,,
Halfords is the place for you to go I'd say, to be on the safe side.

I’m not sure if mine is a cheapo one or not. It cost about €80 I think. I find it good.

There was a film of plastic on both the inside and outside glass, so peeled that of. I gave it another go and it is working now, it was either that or the battery was flat and the couple of days in the light recharged it.

There was a film of plastic on both the inside and outside glass, so peeled that of. I gave it another go and it is working now, it was either that or the battery was flat and the couple of days in the light recharged it.
Who knew a piece of plastic can cause such havoc

You cwn get some very elaborate ones when I was working in the welding supplies he sold a few of them with a resperator type set up you were breathing into a thing that was on your back.
I thought I was a good set up as your breathing all the fumes from the welding when Your at it.
I use one of those. Rechargablle battery.

I have an auto-darkening welding helmet, it has sensitivity adjustment, shade adjustment, and adjustable shade delay function. I don't meet such a problem. maybe you need to set the sensitivity first.
725134-ee5dcdc5bc11b011a8a5483a4fc2ffa6.jpg

Upgraded the welding mask. Old ones were only lasting a couple of years. Last one was very hard to see through and weld was suffering.

Went for a Lincoln Viking 3350, not cheap at €235 but supposed to be the business.

It’ll be minded....!

201EC473-CDB1-46E4-9809-0F12B1D021D5.jpeg

Biggest thing here regards welding masks is them getting dusty and full of cobwebs,I’m thinking of a sort of cubby box on the welder for it to live.
I had a couple of speedglass masks but they started playing up so bought a couple of cheepo parweld masks but they’ve both failed now.
I’m looking for something that’s value for money now,thinking of this.

Biggest thing here regards welding masks is them getting dusty and full of cobwebs,I’m thinking of a sort of cubby box on the welder for it to live.
I had a couple of speedglass masks but they started playing up so bought a couple of cheepo parweld masks but they’ve both failed now.
I’m looking for something that’s value for money now,thinking of this.
Good plan, I found my old one getting dusty and dirty. The new one came with cloth bag to keep it clean. It has a zipped pocket where you can keep spare lenses and the manual.

Upgraded the welding mask. Old ones were only lasting a couple of years. Last one was very hard to see through and weld was suffering.

Went for a Lincoln Viking 3350, not cheap at €235 but supposed to be the business.

It’ll be minded....!

View attachment 87208
Nice one! When you say it was hard to see through the old one I presume the lens was peeled and replaced first? Don’t mean to sound silly but I always found a new lens totally transformed a helmet and some lenses came with a protective film on both sides which can be hard to find and peel off. I’m on helmet number four now, first was good, next two were rubbish and current one is good so far but I change the lens each year.

Nice one! When you say it was hard to see through the old one I presume the lens was peeled and replaced first? Don’t mean to sound silly but I always found a new lens totally transformed a helmet and some lenses came with a protective film on both sides which can be hard to find and peel off. I’m on helmet number four now, first was good, next two were rubbish and current one is good so far but I change the lens each year.
Yes, tried that and replaced battery. It wasn’t a fancy one so said I’d upgrade

Yes, tried that and replaced battery. It wasn’t a fancy one so said I’d upgrade
Another thing which I do which may help longevity is store the helmet with the lens facing east as the sunlight hits it through the shed clearlights for a few hours every day. Might help to keep the thing right...

Another thing which I do which may help longevity is store the helmet with the lens facing east as the sunlight hits it through the shed clearlights for a few hours every day. Might help to keep the thing right...
my a50 is in its bag in the cupboard....

So if I find a black bucket with a lid and bolt/mount it on the welder it’ll be in the dark most of the time.

Back