Bale Trailer length

ithastopay

Fine trailer, what's the right length for carrying 6, 4x4 rounds, I think it's better not to have the bottom row too tight, allowing the the next row to sit down better in the valleys.
Going for a twin axle bale trailer here,
for moving straw, seed and fertiliser,
thinking of going 27ft. What do he think?

Fine trailer, what's the right length for carrying 6, 4x4 rounds, I think it's better not to have the bottom row too tight, allowing the the next row to sit down better in the valleys.

I have an old 27' six bales fit handy even oval shaped ones. 26' would probably be fine. I have gotten more conscious of the unladen weight ,so i would be inclined to go shorter with an extended bumper bar to keep on the back ones.

27 here and never had trouble fitting the 6 on the bottom

go 28. very hard to add on an extra foot whens it made. find a lot of trailers are missing that extra foot that allows for a bit of error

ours is 25 ft never had any bother fitting 6 long no racks so no bother with wrapped bales, i think they would be too loose on a 27ft used to borrow a 28ft and put 7 long on it.

I have an old 27' six bales fit handy even oval shaped ones. 26' would probably be fine. I have gotten more conscious of the unladen weight ,so i would be inclined to go shorter with an extended bumper bar to keep on the back ones.

The plan would be 6 on the first row 7 on the second, 6 on the third.
Three row high we could carry 37, or 31 with a single row down the middle.
Two rows high 26.
A bigger trailer would be better if moving a lot of straw, which we don't, in our situation we will be moving seed and fertiliser too, 27ft should be a nice size.

ours is 25 ft never had any bother fitting 6 long no racks so no bother with wrapped bales, i think they would be too loose on a 27ft used to borrow a 28ft and put 7 long on it.

Would it not be better to have the bottom row a bit loose, leaving more of a valley for the second row to sit down.
There will a headboard and a rack at the back, no harm having a bit more room for wrapped bales.
As @greenhorn says it easier to have it a bit longer the first day.

would they be fairly small bales? have a 30.5 foot here with no back gate and get 7 on floor with a good ft of an overhang

Our trailers 25' with 4' racks it'll only really take 5 if you can get 6 bales of straw you know they're pretty crap soft bales, the last 2 bales put on are usually very oval by the time they're squeezed on too. With 5 there's too much room and with wraps the 2nd row sits lower as there's more room between the 1st row and makes unloading slightly trickier.
We borrow a 23' trailer and it's spot on, it takes 5 just right, works out at 4.6' per bale
...and by that reckoning a 27' gives 4.5' a bale so would be about right, a 26' would probably work if the rear rack was removed for wraps
Edit: the racks on the 23' are at about 30degrees and really helps keep the second row tight as well I've noticed

would they be fairly small bales? have a 30.5 foot here with no back gate and get 7 on floor with a good ft of an overhang
Carried all sorts of bales hardest fit were hay bales made with a claas had to push them up from the back nice tight load tho.

I got a 26ft and 6no 4ft bales is a very tight fit
With softish bales
Normally 5no 4fts fit on with 2ft spare

A 27ft trailer would be the one to have for 6 bales long. I used get a neighbors 26ft trailer now and then and it held 6 bales with a stepped out rear rack but they were tight in it. Very tight. Claas 255 bales at the time. I think McHale bales are slightly bigger?. The stepped out rack was only about 6" now so that's why I reckon a 27ft would be the one.

26ft here and we'd to crank the bar back a bit to fit 6 class bales of straw, and even at that we've to shove them on from behind, the other is 30ft on the floor and again the back bar is cranked back about a foot to fit 7 class bales of straw. On either trailer welger silage bales have a little bit of free room between headboard and back rack.

28ft tandem axle would seem to be ideal for our needs.
Thanks lads.

The trailer we made here is 28ft, will do exactly what you want. Not the handiest got into places tho, no room for steering wheel attendants but I'd say you lads will be grand!!

The plan would be 6 on the first row 7 on the second, 6 on the third.
Three row high we could carry 37, or 31 with a single row down the middle.
Two rows high 26.
A bigger trailer would be better if moving a lot of straw, which we don't, in our situation we will be moving seed and fertiliser too, 27ft should be a nice size.
Would it not be 38 or 32 :scratchhead: I made a trailer like that 3 years ago, sold it at the end of the harvest, never liked it as much as the 31ft tri axle I have, mine was 26.5ft and I reckon I could have done with an extra bit, Welger bales were slightly too tight I found especially the second row even though they were the same type of rack that's on the other trailer, maybe if I had racks with more of an angle I would have gotten away with it, anyway it will be replaced next year with another tri axle, another thing is axle position is much trickier for that size, the tri axle would go where it wouldn't, axles a bit too far forward equals a massive pier knocking tail swing, too far back and it's very slow to turn, wasn't the right size for what I wanted anyway.

Would it not be 38 or 32 :scratchhead: I made a trailer like that 3 years ago, sold it at the end of the harvest, never liked it as much as the 31ft tri axle I have, mine was 26.5ft and I reckon I could have done with an extra bit, Welger bales were slightly too tight I found especially the second row even though they were the same type of rack that's on the other trailer, maybe if I had racks with more of an angle I would have gotten away with it, anyway it will be replaced next year with another tri axle, another thing is axle position is much trickier for that size, the tri axle would go where it wouldn't, axles a bit too far forward equals a massive pier knocking tail swing, too far back and it's very slow to turn, wasn't the right size for what I wanted anyway.

Yes your right, I'm out a bale in length on the top row.
Shows how much straw I move.
A tri axle would need to be 32/33ft, I think that's getting a bit too big and too expensive for our needs.
Would a tandem axle 28ft not be easier to get in and out of tight spots than a tri axle 33ft?
It will be a new trailer.

What's the story with a home build 32ft surely anything bar straw and your over weight on the new rules? I worked it out before on 3 times the tractor rule and I think the 17 bale trailer just about was underweight

Yes your right, I'm out a bale in length on the top row.
Shows how much straw I move.
A tri axle would need to be 32/33ft, I think that's getting a bit too big and too expensive for our needs.
Would a tandem axle 28ft not be easier to get in and out of tight spots than a tri axle 33ft?
It will be a new trailer.
Don't know that's just my experience and opinion with those size trailers there's absolutely nothing to say that they are 100% fact. The 31ft tri axle is the ideal length for my bales anyway, I have seen others go 32/33 the only time I think that would be necessary is for sagged bales of silage, I was sceptical about a tri axle it was someone on the BFF told me to leave it on and it's something I never regretted, the forward front axle and the rear axle closer to the back just make it follow nicer, it's on super singles and the other was on twin 19.5's unless that had a bearing on it too.

It's now against the law to build your own trailer is it?
What's to stop you saying you built it years ago nd just resprayed it?
Gonna refurbish two in the new year 27ft and 31ft new axles too take 19.5 stubbys.

IMG_0091.JPG

Floor of my low loader is 20ft and the beaver is about 5 , I have to take the bars off the ramps that hold them straight and let them ly back , if there uo the bale are to much of a squeeze on

Lads for silage bales do you think I would be ok to have a full 2 rows on the second row. So for my 23 foot trailer 2x5 on the bottom row and 2x4 on the the second row?

Wow they be stable enough going say 5 miles?

How would I manage with new rules?

Note silage wrapped bales

Back