Bale trailers

What are people's thoughts on the cut down lorry bodies as bale trailers like the one below?
Are they dog heavier than ones built from scratch or much the same. Suppose their floor height with the super single is a disadvantage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagegrabs-for-sale/carey-trailers/21526916

Still a 22.5 Tyre underneath it though so it's only a few inches at most taller. I don't see it being an issue at all!

The main thing for me is ensuring that the trailer has a full chassis right back (was only looking at one on Friday, with no chassis for the last five foot!!!) and the trailer was pretty rust free pre conversion.

What are people's thoughts on the cut down lorry bodies as bale trailers like the one below?
Are they dog heavier than ones built from scratch or much the same. Suppose their floor height with the super single is a disadvantage.

https://www.donedeal.ie/silagegrabs-for-sale/carey-trailers/21526916

yeah I have one here, id be very happy with mine, they are great value compared to factory built trailers, they are well done to be fair, theres 6 of them local to me here and everyone is happy with them, just make sure it has a steel floor in it, he sort of works with what he has when hes cutting down the trailer iykwim, some are done better than others,

I’d thing there solid axels would agree with the above they woulnt be the best on finishing the product if you were fussy on the finish . The stencil for the logo is a bit 80’s and the over spray on wheels etc if i was buying new id expect better unless theres a ‘big’ difference in price .

The cut downs on the lower 19.5 baby supet singles look a nicer job to pull but if the ones on the 22.5 are set right even if sprung can be low enough .

I happened to be driving past a carey trailer outside mullingar yesterday stopped an took a look at it looks a well finished trailer nice steel floor it looks as if the axels are just left as they are the air bags are still on it just cut one axel off it. I don't know how the suspension works as their is no air fittings on the front of the trailer?

Attachments

• IMG_1269.JPG
    IMG_1269.JPG
    252.6 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_1270.JPG
    IMG_1270.JPG
    253.4 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_1271.JPG
    IMG_1271.JPG
    222.3 KB · Views: 181
There is no suspension, they just disconnect the air bags, they are a grand trailer for drawing in a few bales, if your on the road every day in long draws youd want something better all right, but at the end of the day they are a 3rd the price of a factory built trailer, they are fairly well finished in my book, ideal famers trailer

Would they not wake the dead with the air bags flat . I let the air out of the Hook Lift tipping big loads and forgot to reinflate and I would not be 100 yards up the road and the noise would remind you .

Reactions: AYF
There is no suspension, they just disconnect the air bags, they are a grand trailer for drawing in a few bales, if your on the road every day in long draws youd want something better all right, but at the end of the day they are a 3rd the price of a factory built trailer, they are fairly well finished in my book, ideal famers trailer

Are they that much less? I was going to suggest a well speced new trailer would be about twice the price?

A sprung drawbar would be a big plus.

Looks a fine strong trailer. I’d rather a lower body as it would allow higher loads but the extra clearance could be useful in certain places.

As said above, depends what one wants it for and budget.

Low loader is grand for putting 3 high on it. Rattles the shite out of the hitch especially tri axle when empty..

A sprung drawbar would be a big plus.

Looks a fine strong trailer. I’d rather a lower body as it would allow higher loads but the extra clearance could be useful in certain places.

As said above, depends what one wants it for and budget.
Be the exact opposite here on trailer height . There’s broughan trailers here locally on low wheels (445 width I think ) trailers would sit 1ft lower then works trailers on super singles and flotation Tyres . Put all the trailers in wet field with the same load and there’s a massive difference in how they pull. Flotation Tyres first super singles second and low Tyres last. . Flotation Tyres little to no damage. Super singles will mark but keep rolling. Low Tyres will mark similar to super singles but way harder on the tractor to pull across the field.

Be the exact opposite here on trailer height . There’s broughan trailers here locally on low wheels (445 width I think ) trailers would sit 1ft lower then works trailers on super singles and flotation Tyres . Put all the trailers in wet field with the same load and there’s a massive difference in how they pull. Flotation Tyres first super singles second and low Tyres last. . Flotation Tyres little to no damage. Super singles will mark but keep rolling. Low Tyres will mark similar to super singles but way harder on the tractor to pull across the field.

Sorry, I meant underbody clearance in bad gaps or soft conditions. I’d agree with your thoughts on tyre types though.

Are they that much less? I was going to suggest a well speced new trailer would be about twice the price?
A new tuffmac bale trailer is about 4k more but with sprung drawbar and removable racks. Don't think the carey trailers are that well finished. Kinda rough I thought

A new tuffmac bale trailer is about 4k more but with sprung drawbar and removable racks. Don't think the carey trailers are that well finished. Kinda rough I thought
something to keep in mind with the new cheap baletrailers is to check which type of axels they have commercial axels would be what you want and then the general strength of how their made some are very light indeed.

something to keep in mind with the new cheap baletrailers is to check which type of axels they have commercial axels would be what you want and then the general strength of how their made some are very light indeed.
Pretty sure they have commercial axles. Fully RSA compliant anyways

Trouble with converting a artic trailer is that's what it will always be, its not like starting from scratch, it never goes the same adapting something. For the person doing the work there's only so much time and steel they can put into it to leave a margin for themselves, there'd be a lot of work in cutting a trailer down and making it look somewhere near. :weld:

I read on the other forum that the 445/19 tyres were better for a lot of road work but the 22.5 were better for field work. Any taughts?

Back