Balewrap question

Victor

Was tempted to buy some balewrap this year which was 1650mtr long instead of the usual 1500mtr. This longer stuff was 3 microns thinner and some people were saying need to put on extra so the extra length would not be any advantage. Anybody out there use the stuff? It would have worked out cheaper as same price as the 1500mtr rolls

The salesman said it was thinner but stronger so could do same number of wraps as ordinary stuff but I was reluctant to buy a pallet so I said I might try a couple of rolls this year and see what happens just wondered if anyone out there had tried it cause if it was ok would do 3-4 bales extra a roll for same money

i think its thin enuf as it is.
we used silotite xl a few yrs ago, it would do an extra 2-3 bales per roll, but at least they were honest and put the xtra bit on the roll instead of thinning it down any more.
to be fair the only way you will satisfy yourself is to do exactly what your planning on doing, try a few rolls of it, 1 would be plenty, mark the bales when you stack them and keep an eye at feeding time.
imo, id stand clear of the stuff, i know nothing about it, but i do know that this practice shouldn't be encouraged as it will only lead to more and more bad wrap if it catches on.

they have tried to launch a wrap that needs a different set of gears on the wrapper to stretch it that bit further, it may have copped on on the continent, i cant be sure, but it never took off here, iirc it was going to stretch the wrap 30% more.
like i say, its thin enuf as it is imo.

tama came out with the marathon roll of net a few yrs ago (4200m) its the same weight and size as the 3600m roll,(much like your wrap) seems they made the net lighter and thinner so more could go on the same space.
well, it dont work, ya have to put more on so as to make up for its weakness i found, all it saves is not having to get off the tractor a bit less often.

the fact that a farmer has spent so much on land, fertilizer, time, machinery, contractor charges and so on, in order to make the perfect bale of silage, i dont understand why some of them would buy inferior wrap just to save £1 when he has spent so much before hand.
i see it going on all the time round here, its the price that matters, not the quality of the product, after spending over €20+ on a bale cutting your throat for a euro, i dont get it, or never will either, fools gold imo.

im not pointing the finger at you in the above statment victor, not at all, at least you asked,
im speaking from my own experience of customers round here, not all of them tho, some want it done 110% right, even if it dose cost a quid more, which is they way it should be done imo.
and in the long run, my guess is they save the quid.

the one great thing about me not supplying wrap here, is the customer only has himself to blame if it goes wrong.

Back