Ball and Spoon

gone

Changing over the sprayer, first, to Ball and Spoon.
Thanks for tips guys, I ended up using Tinman's idea :thumbup2:, I didn't weld them in but they do the job as they are.
Got rained off, but only have to put on the ball on the tractor and done, so hopefully tomorrow will be a spraying day, but I doubt it.

Attachments

• Spoon 001.jpg
    Spoon 001.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 280
  • Spoon 002.jpg
    Spoon 002.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 249
  • Spoon 003.jpg
    Spoon 003.jpg
    194.7 KB · Views: 236
  • Spoon 004.jpg
    Spoon 004.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 232
  • Spoon 005.jpg
    Spoon 005.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 257
  • Spoon 006.jpg
    Spoon 006.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 256
  • Spoon 007.jpg
    Spoon 007.jpg
    209.6 KB · Views: 236
By the sounds of the forecast I heard Wednesday might be the only spraying day this coming week :001_unsure:

have you a pic of the whole sprayer gone.
if i had any more doubt over it, id tack in the pipes and weld up two side plates, to be sure to be sure.
but the pipes will help it, tbh imo the bolts would of kept loosening without some kind of support.
nordlock washers would be the last edition to keep it in place if it ever was loosening.
but i have no idea how small or big the sprayer is.

By the sounds of the forecast I heard Wednesday might be the only spraying day this coming week :001_unsure:

Yes afraid so, will have to go back to the MF 6490 on 650's to do the spring corn. :thumbdown:
I will be running it through the ISO-BUS and datatronic screen on the MF, it slows the job down a lot but at least with the 650's I'll be able to stay going I hope.

Very interesting [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION]

Sorry for the following stupid question - where will the spoon fit on the tractor or does it fit in over the pickup hook somehow?

What would the approx. cost of the bits and pieces involved?

Not too dry up there anyway [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION]!!

Like CORK I was wondering will that help clearance too?

Sorry for the following stupid question - where will the spoon fit on the tractor or does it fit in over the pickup hook somehow?

change the hook of the puh for a ball end:thumbup:

Very interesting @gone

from the bit ive seen of them you either get a slide with the ball on it, or you can get the hook type fitting with a ball on it rather than a point but it still slides into the original hitch.
its the handiest imo, i have a slide here with a ball on it for the cvx, but it id mean changing it in and out every time id need to lift different trailers.
i could change over to all ball and spoon but then my mate who works with me would have to do similar if he needed to lift something.

i dont do enough to justify one tbh altho i do have a ball and spoon gauge.
tells you if either is worn and if its time to replace.

Attachments

• IMAG6462.jpg
    IMAG6462.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 136
what keeps the ball on here?
dosent look like the cap actually tightens on anything when in the locked position.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSx6gU2V_8[/ame]

have you a pic of the whole sprayer gone.
if i had any more doubt over it, id tack in the pipes and weld up two side plates, to be sure to be sure.
but the pipes will help it, tbh imo the bolts would of kept loosening without some kind of support.
nordlock washers would be the last edition to keep it in place if it ever was loosening.
but i have no idea how small or big the sprayer is.

I hate welding with a passion, between a non parkinson's essential tremor that can have my hand as shaky as an aspen leaf and UV sensitivity I just don't weld.
I recon it will be fine, but if I have any issues I will get 2 end plates welded into the box.

An older pic of the sprayer, it holds over 4,000L 28M boom and is built to last.

Attachments

• WP_000033.jpg
    WP_000033.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 154
  • WP_000107.jpg
    WP_000107.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 134
I'm no mechanic or engineer but can someone explain to me in layman's terms why these offer extra load capability than a hook.

The only thing that is different really are the ends.

what keeps the ball on here?
dosent look like the cap actually tightens on anything when in the locked position.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NDSx6gU2V_8

Looks to me that when in the locked position the cap can't open off due to it being against the frame of the hitch. Maybe that's not what you meant. Surely the cap isn't meant to be against the spoon all the time but only just over it otherwise the wear would be shocking.

Cut your way in, weld your way out!!!

I hate welding with a passion, between a non parkinson's essential tremor that can have my hand as shaky as an aspen leaf and UV sensitivity I just don't weld.
I recon it will be fine, but if I have any issues I will get 2 end plates welded into the box.

An older pic of the sprayer, it holds over 4,000L 28M boom and is built to last.
tis a fair bit of weight on the hitch there isnt there.
no more than the max but decent all the same.

fine big sprayer.
id say the ball and spoon should be more comfortable to work with.
altho there didnt seem to be much play in the old setup, or was there.

I'm no mechanic or engineer but can someone explain to me in layman's terms why these offer extra load capability than a hook.

If you think of a standard ring hitch the only bit that's carrying any weight is the front bit of the ring, no more than 2inches really, on the ball and spoon the entire surface area is carrying the weight,

If you think of a standard ring hitch the only bit that's carrying any weight is the front bit of the ring, no more than 2inches really, on the ball and spoon the entire surface area is carrying the weight,

Ah ha, thanks drew :thumbup:

The Ball just replaces the hook or clevis and it cost approx. €950+V for 1 Ball + 3 weld on spoons

Not too dry up there anyway [MENTION=1843]gone[/MENTION]!!

Like CORK I was wondering will that help clearance too?

They're better at towing large loads, less slap in the hitch than a hook and eye and less inclined to ware, but the reason they are cleared for more weight than standard hook is the same as the reason 560's are considered better at carrying weight than super singles. :thumbdown:

I'm pretty sure on that one the spring loaded piece on top of the ball had a piece on the back of it and is just held tight by pressing against the two ears that the tip of the hook would usually sit in... Well at least that's how i figured it worked?!!
thats about all it could be.
even so, if you had a big upward pressure a lot of the time there isnt a world of meat in the cap either.

tis a fair bit of weight on the hitch there isnt there.
no more than the max but decent all the same.

fine big sprayer.
id say the ball and spoon should be more comfortable to work with.
altho there didnt seem to be much play in the old setup, or was there.

There is very little play on the clevis hitch with the spacer, but those sized spacer are hard got and with the long hitch when you brake the weight of the liquid in the sprayer moving to the front puts a lot of weight on the tractors back axle. On the hook there is a bit of play but it's worst when empty it is fairly well balanced in the field and will dance on the hitch when getting close to empty.

We wore out the ring in our sprayer at about year seven . They are not particularly heavy maybe seven tonne fully loaded . The sprung drawbar absorbs a lot of the slap . The booms clashing with the cab or beacons is an issue which is why gone is moving it back a few inches . The cab of the Class sits a good bit forward but the Fendt is more over the hitch .

Back