Beef plan

Or you could charge new a small percentage on goods produced by all who were not initial setup farmers until that debt is paid?

So for a 2 week shut down, what has been achieved. All the talk is for bits and pieces of mickey mouse stuff. IMO the average price of beef wont change a cent. If some lad makes a few quid more for easing of specs, base price will be dropped a few cents to cater for it. Most guys will have lost 3 weeks kill either protesting or not passing the pickets and I didnt think Beefplan would throw in the towel so easy, so very few cattle killed this week as most taught they would be back protesting. price back 10c - 15c in those 3 weeks (dont know next weeks price yet?). the protest would want to deliver allot to cover, not moving downwards with a market.

I'm wondering the same myself. The only thing achieved was people let their frustrations be known??

What do you lads see as being the problem currently?
What is happening that farmers aren't making money?
70 years of political maneuvering on a global scale to ensure cheap food for the masses. Farmers will be given just enough to survive, the price of food will stay relatively low and there will be no riots on the streets over a lack of sliced pans. It's not an exclusively Irish issue, any farmer in any country in the Western World has the same problem.

70 years of political maneuvering on a global scale to ensure cheap food for the masses. Farmers will be given just enough to survive, the price of food will stay relatively low and there will be no riots on the streets over a lack of sliced pans. It's not an exclusively Irish issue, any farmer in any country in the Western World has the same problem.
What would be a solution to that? What outcome would you be happy with?

Our own taoisach was advising people to make an effort cutting back meat on the news a few months ago.. we need less calves being born or get the poorer calves exported asap.. or find a decent salesman and give him a carbon friendly product to sell.

Our own taoisach was advising people to make an effort cutting back meat on the news a few months ago.. we need less calves being born or get the poorer calves exported asap.. or find a decent salesman and give him a carbon friendly product to sell.
Our own taosach would be less out of place going around with duffys circus then he would be the position he's in now.

Imagine you re a meat eater who feels guilty about eating beef because you re convinced from the headlines that beef farming is destroying the planet.. you re prepared to pick up any kind of shite now once it doesn't say beef on the packet..
I believe we can expect low prices going forward unless we can put a packet on that shelf that says Green Low Carbon and maybe GM FREE on it . That s my suggestion

It would seem that Beef plan have their own agenda of protecting suckler, which may be a precursor to increasing sp to suckler farmers which I'm fine with except, i buy calves every year and i get the feeling that beef plan, or bord bia for that matter, dont see my grass fed product as a value product. Why? I suspect too many cheap cuts but i ve been wrong before..
There was a mention of a market just this past spring of a €5 /kg for my product, but the factories had no interest in pursuing it.. why ? Why couldn't bord bia or beef plan highlight it more. ? Is there anybody on here, know anymore about it ? It would seem to me, the nice salesmen in bordbia are not on commission ,which is counterproductive in my mind.

Do you have any solution?

no grain for the calves I rear myself. Was a few bob in them, but not so sure this year at €3.50. My Mortality is way too high and it only causes issues from day 120 onwards for some unknown reason. lost 4% of them again a few weeks ago with respiratory infection even though vaccinated, in isolated land block. too much work and getting too much of a hole kicking from sick calves. cost 230 this year, would have to be back to 150 next year to make me consider them. Too many good calves pumped on whole milk turn into bad calves later in life, too hit and miss, breeding is way off the mark

5% would be a mortality rate with suckler bred weanlings up to 9 months old. We are all farmers. We work hard to mind calves and ensure their wellbeing, but its inevitable. We calve over 50 suckler cows every year and it's rare that all calves will make it that far. So 4% shouldn't really be a deal breaker or are you talking about an extra 4% on top of mortality that has already occurred? You might think I'm a stranger to dairy calves, but we milked cows up to the late 90's and for several years after that, we kept an old stall milking machine and milked a few cows to feed batches of bought in dairy calves. We found that the secret to maintaining a healthy calf was to continue feeding a small amount of meal throughout the summer months. It not only ensured less health problems, but it also paid dividends on the other side with weight gain.

Back to the negotiations

Weighing cattle before slaughter -
I cant see what's the problem with current system, I have killed cattle in lots of plants and dodgy weights is one issue I never seemed to have.....serious issues with fat scores as not way standardised. Just run to lorry over a weighbridge if you want ko%

Written price quote -
Again dont see the issue, if someone fecks me over with the price the animals were sold at vs what I was paid, i will never deal with them again. Solves that issue

Insurance
Just dont take it ‍♂️

Grid
Average price of beef wont change to factories. Mr U cattle will get more at the expense of Mr O

Specs
Move age limit up to 33 months, drop base price by a cent will cover this as I suspect factories will just do

Bord bia residency
This one may help as it would allow more fat cattle through marts(then again is this what is wanted). Aslong as animal is not on more than 2 BB assured farms over last 70 days, the 12c should be paid. This would allow a move prior to slaughter. (Not sure if it will even help)

Considering the BP were at little for first 10 days, then MMI gave them an open goal last Thursday, since then it has been all backwards. Seems to me, they didnt have a well taught out plan and went to battle on emotions. It's a pity considering the extraordinary strong position they got themselves into

5% would be a mortality rate with suckler bred weanlings up to 9 months old. We are all farmers. We work hard to mind calves and ensure their wellbeing, but its inevitable. We calve over 50 suckler cows every year and it's rare that all calves will make it that far. So 4% shouldn't really be a deal breaker or are you talking about an extra 4% on top of mortality that has already occurred? You might think I'm a stranger to dairy calves, but we milked cows up to the late 90's and for several years after that, we kept an old stall milking machine and milked a few cows to feed batches of bought in dairy calves. We found that the secret to maintaining a healthy calf was to continue feeding a small amount of meal throughout the summer months. It not only ensured less health problems, but it also paid dividends on the other side with weight gain.

No mucky, lost 4% last week alone. I would usual expect that if I bought 105 healthy calves at 30 days old, you would slaughter 100 at 20 months.

Calves were ahead of target. I'm not a fan of grain at grass due to number of birds it draws around the place. Good grass is identical to meals

With sucklers I used reckon if you had 90% of good calves to sell to total number of cows, you were going well.

Last edited:
It would seem that Beef plan have their own agenda of protecting suckler, which may be a precursor to increasing sp to suckler farmers which I'm fine with except, i buy calves every year and i get the feeling that beef plan, or bord bia for that matter, dont see my grass fed product as a value product. Why? I suspect too many cheap cuts but i ve been wrong before..
There was a mention of a market just this past spring of a €5 /kg for my product, but the factories had no interest in pursuing it.. why ? Why couldn't bord bia or beef plan highlight it more.
? Is there anybody on here, know anymore about it ? It would seem to me, the nice salesmen in bordbia are not on commission ,which is counterproductive in my mind.
I've asked this question before, if there is no specific market for purely grass fed(which is supposed to have health benefits) why do we have to tick a box on the producer form saying no meals fed if its all going the one route, I suspect the factories have a niche outlet that gives a better return and they are happy to pocket the benefit and treat us producers all the same and also simplify what they have to display on the sales docket. Also Beef plan should have pushed further on what returns come from the fifth quarter, as it stands they get it for free.

I've asked this question before, if there is no specific market for purely grass fed(which is supposed to have health benefits) why do we have to tick a box on the producer form saying no meals fed if its all going the one route, I suspect the factories have a niche outlet that gives a better return and they are happy to pocket the benefit and treat us producers all the same and also simplify what they have to display on the sales docket. Also Beef plan should have pushed further on what returns come from the fifth quarter, as it stands they get it for free.
Did you not see all the steak awards Irish factories won recently, all for grassfed steaks aswell

No mucky, lost 4% last week alone. I would usual expect that if I bought 105 healthy calves at 30 days old, you would slaughter 100 at 20 months.

Calves were ahead of target. I'm not a fan of grain at grass due to number of birds it draws around the place. Good grass is identical to meals

With sucklers I used reckon if you had 90% of good calves to sell to total number of cows, you were going well.
From my experience.. wet grass = trouble, for young stock. I compensate for this with a second feed in the evening. I always feed a kg in morning when worms are at the top of the grass. No birds, either. Wish i could say same for sheds in winter

Back