Beef plan

Look either your going to block the factorys for 2 weeks or not at all. Some factorys are killing for 3 day weeks. Blocking them for a day never has made a difference to them.

With a just in time system of delivery to the supermarkets 1 full week would make them very nervous.

So could someone explain how intervention works
The EU offers a base price for beef. They put the beef into storage and take it off the market. The theory is that a reduced supply of beef should cause a price rise. At minimum it would put a bottom into the market. As prices rise, beef will slowly be released from intervention onto the market so as not to flood it and cause a sudden price drop.

With mercuser and all that has happened in recent months, its hard to see intervention happening. But creed should be up there pushing for it. With brexit and all, he has a good few cards to play.

Intervention doesn't solve anything in the long run, government need to stay out of markets. I think there is trouble ahead with the EU budget under a lot of pressure due to problems in the German economy. As the largest contributor to the EU they won't want to commit to any costly intervention program. Economic growth is only 0.2% in the last three quarters, purchase orders are down. It spells a lot of trouble especially when they already have an artificially devalued currency by being in the Eurozone.

Here's a list of recent announcements of job cuts in Germany. It's not a time to be taking on any more liabilities.

• Schaeffler, automotive supplier, 900 jobs, 700 in Germany
  • Siemens, 2,700 jobs, half in Germany
  • Volkswagen, 7,000 jobs,
  • Deutsche Bank, 18,000
  • BASF, 6,000 jobs, half in Germany
  • Bayer, 12,000, 4,500 in Germany
  • Ford, 12,000, 5,400 in Germany
  • SAP, business software, 4,000, 1,000 in Germany

I understand the reasons for the protests, but a lot of the problems lies with the government/EU and their attitude to the productive sectors of the economy. It is them not the factories who want to increase imports by a third, they have a policy now to halve the number of sucklers which generate huge economic activity in places that otherwise would have none. Market conditions at the moment are shite, hence the shite price. When market conditions are good we do get a good price. The only thing to cure low prices are low prices, the government need to stay away from it, they poison everything they touch.

The first bullock I ever sold made 82p/lb in the 90's, that's €2.30/kilo. Prices were in the doldrums then too with BSE etc. He was a U grade. Now you're talking a base of €3.60 plus QA/grid adjustment of 24c so €3.84/kg. It's still 67% higher than then. Barley and sheep are maybe up 25% over the same period. We no longer sell a third of our beef to the third world and have increased our production massively. The factories have gotten us markets in Europe, not the government.

Maybe the protests should be with the government or the supermarkets?

I would argue the quality of our cattle is not what it should be nor individual animals productivity but that is the farmers fault, not the factories.

Another thing with the factory is that you could have the money for cattle killed today in the bank by this evening. It's a great safety net and compare that to the ridiculous situation where grain delivered two weeks ago may not be paid for until mid-October. Two cattle would buy 15 tons or 5 acres worth of grain so that's something to think about too.

I don't like to see farmers having to bring cattle home, sometimes in a bad market you're better selling to cut your losses and get in some money to clear some bills.

At least they are doing something. They may hold there nerve now and keep at it. Thumbs up to them. I think next week is when they will need the support. I see the owner of Liffey meats came out and said 'cant be that bad, you haven't sold your land yet'.

That's a piss poor argument in my opinion.
If you were so concerned about merchants wouldn't you be out there protesting with there customers who arernt making money.
Nobody is asking for a fortune just a fair price for there produce unless all farmers stand together it hasn't a chance.
When the price drops further don't come on here crying about it.
Nows the time to do something.
Even if it isn't everyones idea of achieving a better price its still a start at it.

All that I was asking for a was bit of notice, many lads would have heifers and bullocks starting to go over 30months over the next few week like I have, over 30 months and also animals qualifying for breed bonuses could be down 25c a kilo, thats €75 an animal. bulls going over 16months similar, all that was needed was a weeks notice to get these slaughter last week.

Regarding pay amounts due, my final payment for first cut silage is due, haulage contractor needing paying, along with 3 merchants all with the hand out. these guys need to be paid to keep delivers coming. I unfortunately dont have a buffer but if I keep everyone paid its a serious weight of my shoulders

Its pointless picketting one factory and a factory 20miles away is mopping up the supply. Surely an all out - non delivering of cattle would be more meaningful if this is the protest route you choose to take

Last edited:
All that I was asking for a was bit of notice, many lads would have heifers and bullocks starting to go over 30months over the next few week like I have, over 30 months and also animals qualifying for breed bonuses could be down 25c a kilo, thats €75 an animal. bulls going over 16months similar, all that was needed was a weeks notice to get these slaughter last week.

Regarding pay amounts due, my final payment for first cut silage is due, haulage contractor needing paying, along with 3 merchants all with the hand out. these guys need to be paid to keep delivers coming. I unfortunately dont have a buffer but if I keep everyone paid its a serious weight of my shoulders

Its pointless picketting one factory and a factory 20miles away is mopping up the supply. Surely an all out - non delivering of cattle would be more meaningful if this is the protest route you choose to take
. If your badly stuck for money you could sell a few in the mart or organise a short term loan.

. If your badly stuck for money you could sell a few in the mart or organise a short term loan.

a short term loan, have you dealt with a bank recently ?? to cover a few weeks of no kill, is decent wedge that I wouldnt have a hope of getting.

Yeah I could put them through a mart, but I taugh I saw these were not to be visited either, or other shops in local towns.

a short term loan, have you dealt with a bank recently ??

Yeah I could put them through a mart, but I taugh I saw these were not to be visited either, or other shops in local towns.

Theres always mabs or St Vincent de Paul. Maybe we could start a go fund me page for ya.

Theres always mabs or St Vincent de Paul. Maybe we could start a go fund me page for ya.

I assume your tongue in cheek :laugh:, but to finance an beef operation that is selling a few cattle a week your talking about a thousand per animal sold. most beef lads would at best be 2 weeks in credit, multiply how many animals they kill per week by two (maybe closer to 4 for some) and you will have their short term credit ... only

I assume your tongue in cheek :laugh:, but to finance an beef operation that is selling a few cattle a week your talking about a thousand per animal sold. most beef lads would at best be 2 weeks in credit, multiply how many animals they kill per week by two (maybe closer to 4 for some) and you will have their short term credit ... only

I assume you'd be buying similar numbers and can stop buying when your not selling. Anyway it's your own business but try and hold for a week or so, you'd never know beef plan might get something.

There were maybe ten lads outside Dawn Grannagh today, the boss mustn't have known as he didn't say anything. Seemingly from tomorrow they're stopping pigs as well as cattle being delivered, how they're going to do that I don't know and it could get into legal territory.

I think the whole thing is a shambles the way they have organised and run it, while the factories are making some money they aren't making a fortune but a bit of transparency would be welcome as to what their margin is. It's the supermarkets that really need to be challenged to pass back a better share down the line, a bit like a few extra cent on a pint if it was passed back to growers it would add up to a lot per ton of malting.

I think the whole thing is a shambles the way they have organised and run it, while the factories are making some money they aren't making a fortune but a bit of transparency would be welcome as to what their margin is. It's the supermarkets that really need to be challenged to pass back a better share down the line, a bit like a few extra cent on a pint if it was passed back to growers it would add up to a lot per ton of malting.

I know that, but we have to deal with the processors and they deal with the supermarkets, if farmers stand up to the processors, then the processors will have to stand up to the supermarkets,

The more I think about it intervention won't work. All it will do is make a fortune for those who are contracted to store the product.

Whatever about people's views on the protest, it is disheartening to hear reports of intimidation going on. If that's the case, they might as well call it a blockade.

Is it solely prices or has the deal with south America a part to play aswell? I think fair play to the lads on the protest. Showing a sign of impower ment that hasn't been seen in along while

big bullock supposed to be killed Tuesday, with a broken leg last night. knackery today. such is, I suppose, all for the cause.

Is it solely prices or has the deal with south America a part to play aswell? I think fair play to the lads on the protest. Showing a sign of impower ment that hasn't been seen in along while

It's about respect

big bullock supposed to be killed Tuesday, with a broken leg last night. knackery today. such is, I suppose, all for the cause.

I know for a fact that Beef Plan would not have had issue with you with this animal. There was a farmer in Athleague who arrived with an injured animal yesterday. He got out and spoke to the person in charge and he was put straight through. He was wished well and consolated for his troubles by everyone there. Nobody would begrudge you having to have your animal killed out of necessity.

Back