Beef plan

Can anyone explain how factory feedlots work around nitrate limits ? Are they bord bia assured ? Sure there going on the same shelf anyway

Can anyone explain how factory feedlots work around nitrate limits ? Are they bord bia assured ? Sure there going on the same shelf anyway
Id imagine they either have a big land bank or they export slurry. They would be in derogation I suspect.
Yea they are bord bia assured, no reason why they wouldn’t be, im not saying it’s right but once they abide by the QA rules then there is no issue.

Id imagine they either have a big land bank or they export slurry. They would be in derogation I suspect.
Yea they are bord bia assured, no reason why they wouldn’t be, im not saying it’s right but once they abide by the QA rules then there is no issue.

Most wouldnt be in derogation as wouldnt have the 80% grassland requirement. Just use a big land bank similar to piggery. maybe the bigger ones have a IPCC licence from EPA

Could this be used as a stick to beat them ??
Is there any regulation on these feedlots sure if they have no bps they need not give a rats arse about nitrates

Is there any regulation on these feedlots sure if they have no bps they need not give a rats arse about nitrates
I would be fairly certain they are complying with Nitrates, what makes you think otherwise? Similar to chickens houses and piggeries

I wouldn't know what most of them do but one lad I know is very strict regarding the export of dung/slurry, it all has to go through the books. He won't give any otherwise.

Lads around here that are feedlots have rough ground both bought and rented. Plus they grow a good bit of tillage.

So all of the pickets are officially over. I guess the scramble now starts to try to get cattle booked in for slaughter?
It will be interesting to see if all factories will implement the agreed bonus straight away or if they will try to push it out?

We are lucky to be having cattle booked for later this week with the help of a neighbor.

Went to IFA livestock meeting in Macroom last night..in fairness, the lads chairing the meeting clearly weren t prepared for the frustration and anger voiced on the floor but, what i felt didn't help the genuine beef farmer, was the jeering and micro mobs shouting and clapping when someone took a dig at IFA..i think this happened purely because the beefman hasn't been speaking up until now and it became almost a celebration of this anytime 1 did speak out last night

..We must not forget, the IFA are trying, but they ve been lobbied so hard by dairyfarmers at every meeting for how long now?
I ve been to meetings where I was the only beef farmer present and the same meetings quickly turned into a dairy discussion on how to drive on and protect derogation Farming..and even last night, there seemed to be a huge focus on getting more calves on boats, But who is this really helping? I suggest the dairyman firstly

I am urging all beef farmers to go to livestock meetings and get a few more going with you. We need to find our voice and more importantly ,practice using it constructively. I dont want to be the only beefman at the next IFA local meeting.
Rant over

Well if kepaks new pricing structure is as a result of the beefplan, take a bow. We have now probably about 500 different prices points for a animal. https://www.agriland.ie/farming-new...bonus-pricing-structure-and-weight-penalties/

It's all negative pricing. If there was doubt the game wasnt up .....

The beefplan...independent farmers went in on about simplifying the system, and they got some schooling
It seems much the same tbh. If anything it's simpler.

more pickets on the way ? looks like the tail is wagging the dog now
Blocking the gates now would do nothing for lads with finished cattle and Larry well knows that but he is really getting farmers backs up and Kepak putting new weight penalties without discussion hasn't helped plus the Beef Market price index was supposed to be introduced week starting 16th Sept and still nothing......Bord Bia will develop a Beef Market Price Index Model based on three components – cattle price index, beef market price index (retail and wholesale) and an offal price indicator, which will be introduced the week commencing September 16;

With the weather the way it is and supply backed up already, I can't see them getting too much support.

I don't think they care too much about having support. I follow one facebook page that was set up for the last protest and some of the stuff being posted on it along with some of the people posting on it can only be described as dangerous. Some of these people are wondering why they got the run around from factories in the last few weeks and were not able to get their cattle killed - there's better ways of making your protest than identifying meat factory workers and setting up a campaign against them. The prices are not set by factory workers, they are not even set by the procurement workers. It's dangerous territory that these guys are entering and they are claiming to be acting in the interest of all of us.

Back