Beef plan

Irish agriculture seems to have no representative to fight their corner on TV, Radio etc
I know various TD's etc speak up, but surely there needs to at least one very capable person who is paid a good salary (by the IFA) to speak up for farming on a constant basis
If there is an issue that affects Motorists, Conor Faughnan is on everything , Verona Murphy was constantly on representing the Road Hauliers, hell, even the travellers have Martin Collins
Farming seems to have various people talking to the media beside a tar barrel with smoke coming out of it.

Irish agriculture seems to have no representative to fight their corner on TV, Radio etc
I know various TD's etc speak up, but surely there needs to at least one very capable person who is paid a good salary (by the IFA) to speak up for farming on a constant basis
If there is an issue that affects Motorists, Conor Faughnan is on everything , Verona Murphy was constantly on representing the Road Hauliers, hell, even the travellers have Martin Collins
Farming seems to have various people talking to the media beside a tar barrel with smoke coming out of it.
The last thing the media want is a well spoken that can represent the facts in a clear and precise fashion.

They love getting the lad that is barely understandable and mad as a hatter to do the talking.

The last thing the media want is a well spoken that can represent the facts in a clear and precise fashion.

They love getting the lad that is barely understandable and mad as a hatter to do the talking.
cant let facts get in the way of a good storey:sneaky:

Yes and whens the last time you seen macra protesting against anything if you dont cause trouble as leaders of farm organisations you get nice position on boards of icbf agri aware fbd bord bia.
A group of macra members and their regional vice president joined the protest at an Abp plant, Macra top brass weren't exactly pleased to see them posting their presence on several social media channels all wearing Macra logo'd jackets.
There was some rather angry phone calls from Macra HQ that evening...

A group of macra members and their regional vice president joined the protest at an Abp plant, Macra top brass weren't exactly pleased to see them posting their presence on several social media channels all wearing Macra logo'd jackets.
There was some rather angry phone calls from Macra HQ that evening...
Macra HQ the thought of it , probably rang from his bedroom in his mother's house. They should stick with getting the young rural people together and forget about telling people what to do.

Macra HQ the thought of it , probably rang from his bedroom in his mother's house. They should stick with getting the young rural people together and forget about telling people what to do.
Does anyone know how many people were at ifa recent protests from looking at the photos there looked to be no more than a dozen just shows the kind of support they have at least it was a better attempt than the day they used a ladder to get across a small fence in grange and set a bale of hay on fire

I hear that Lidl brought out tea, biscuits and cake to the farmers protesting outside their distribution centre in cork last week. Some of the lads on the protest were very hungry and were very grateful to get it, but the top brass refused it. Later they went off to eat at a fancy restaurant.

I hear that Lidl brought out tea, biscuits and cake to the farmers protesting outside their distribution centre in cork last week. Some of the lads on the protest were very hungry and were very grateful to get it, but the top brass refused it. Later they went off to eat at a fancy restaurant.
That’s like somthing that would be on the tractor protest group on Facebook or the beef plan wattsapp group.

Ah mucky , your bordering on being paranoid. :scratchhead::scratchhead:
I have stood on a right few IFA pickets/protests over the years.
Now I grant you, sometimes you would wonder why you were there.
And you wouldn't want to dwell on all that was achieved :rolleyes2::rolleyes2:
But one thing, I never was hungry.
There was always a bit of order and we were fed.

Last edited:
There's a lot of negativity towards the IFA at the moment especially online but I have to say I support these protests.
1. There is a sizeable price gap and factories will drag their heals on closing it unless put under pressure.
2. The only ppl the factories are afraid of are the supermarkets, make no mistake about it this is a royal pain in the ass for them once a supply chain of perishable goods is disrupted it costs time and money to fix it.
3. It's painting supermarkets in a bad light they hate this and it may cause them to lean on factories to up prices. ( Even if it is short term it will get us out of the immediate problem with the backlog)
4 it's not disrupting the killing of cattle and worsening the backlog
5. It's smart from a legal pointof view it's not giving anybody the time to take out injunctions, also this would be seriously bad PR for a supermarket. The factories don't care about image the supermarkets are obsessed with it.
6 it's sustainable as it doesn't need hundreds of farmers a few dozen each day is more than enough.

It's not perfect especially around the clarity and impact of the message being delivered, it needs to be tailored more to Joe public who doesn't understand farming.

I know some of you dislike the IFA and will disagree with me that's fine, this is just my opinion.

They took one sandwich off everyone. There was some form you were meant to sign if you didn't want the ifa to take your sandwiches.

Why would lidl bring out tea and biscuits and if they did why would farmers refuse it.

It wouldnt look great either if the IFA leader was caught on camera munching on a mallow tea cake that was given to him my the crowd he was protesting outside
He would probably have been slated for it

Lads came around canvassing yesterday, I pretended I was a workman to avoid getting signed up:lol:, one sub is enough for them.

I saw it on social media somewhere the Lads in charleaville munching into lidl sandwiches. Not sure if it was Twitter or where?

It wouldnt look great either if the IFA leader was caught on camera munching on a mallow tea cake that was given to him my the crowd he was protesting outside
He would probably have been slated for it

Considering that the factories collect his wages for him a mallow tea cake is hardly going to worry him

Considering that the factories collect his wages for him a mallow tea cake is hardly going to worry him
This is it. Why are don't farmers trust the IFA. Because the processors and co-op collect their money for them until this changes they are goosed. The last few days was nothing but a stunt. Sure the distribution centres have their stuff out from 7pm to 7am. Those fools were only standing there for the camera. They should have come out and supported the farmers during the protest, they could have given leadership and the blockade might not have lasted that long. I'd say they'd have got more members and respect if they had but no they stayed silent and now look like a fecking joke.

Coughlan was trying to get cattle past the picket in charleville for fuck sake. The IFA only have themselves to blame.

What happened? lads canvassing or what? It's very hard to run such an organisation I assume, as some many will use it as a vehicle to do other things. Original men had their hearts in the right places, but some of the lads I saw outside my local factory, I definitely would not be giving them a mandate to be there

I think the original men have become disillusioned with the monster it's become.
If irish farming done nothing else in 2020 only reorganised the farming organisations into a cohesive group it would be a job well done.

But the chances of that happening. ........

Back