Beef Summit

Def another talking shop prices dropping to floor at moment who was he that played the fiddle while Rome burned

Following the report last week, you would really have to wonder about the credibility of this.

IMV.

is this even worth talking about:thumbdown:. wonder was the grub good?

a five year old could have drawn up the list of proposals, most of which cannot and will not ever be implemented. suppose someone trousered a fair bit of coinage for the days out

is this even worth talking about:thumbdown:. wonder was the grub good?

a five year old could have drawn up the list of proposals, most of which cannot and will not ever be implemented. suppose someone trousered a fair bit of coinage for the days out

Something to fill a few pages in the farming papers too :rolleyes:

Farming organisations played up the importance of it but everyone on the ground knew it was a red herring the very minute it was announced.

killed three fr's cows last week .the got a good bit of meal for the last six weeks . The cheque was for €1400 for Three.

Enough said:crying::crying::crying:

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if beef wasn't at a base price of €3.60 by the end of July, the customary price pull for January animals coming up to 30 months is due. Hope I'm wrong.

TBH it wouldn't surprise me if beef wasn't at a base price of €3.60 by the end of July, the customary price pull for January animals coming up to 30 months is due. Hope I'm wrong.

I'd be surprised if it wasn't at 3.50 by end of August.

I believe Ozzy said similar before too.

I was in the supermarket last night and not a trace of offers on beef even though it is high season for BBQ's now given the weather and the World Cup.

They have propped the trade by 20c for the last number of months. there are many other players in the industry that are doing little or no business at the moment.

Todays price is a disaster for shed cattle, if this price was for grass cattle I wouldnt be as worried. For the last number of years the industry has over paid for grass cattle, or most will say they underpaid for shed cattle, which in turn leaves the shed cattle subsidizing the grass cattle price.

killed three fr's cows last week .the got a good bit of meal for the last six weeks . The cheque was for €1400 for Three.

Enough said:crying::crying::crying:

:eek::eek:

I used to get that each. That's terrible money. What was their dead weight?

Factories are really playing farmers. Surely to goodness there's an opening for a co-op operated factory? Using local abattoirs to kill the animals to get started and market them under a new, well advertised, fair play logo. There's money in beef, it's just not filtering through to the farmer.

Machinery to dairy farmers is like razor blades to toddlers.

:eek::eek:

I used to get that each. That's terrible money. What was their dead weight?

Factories are really playing farmers. Surely to goodness there's an opening for a co-op operated factory? Using local abattoirs to kill the animals to get started and market them under a new, well advertised, fair play logo. There's money in beef, it's just not filtering through to the farmer.

Machinery to dairy farmers is like razor blades to toddlers.

And you reckon retailers will pay better prices to a coop? and can a coop operate in a industry with a margin of around 2%. Coops are notoriously inefficient, add in the fact of being able to finance the purchase of cattle for 15 weeks kill. Suppose if you have 20 million quid you could make a start

And you reckon retailers will pay better prices to a coop? and can a coop operate in a industry with a margin of around 2%. Coops are notoriously inefficient, add in the fact of being able to finance the purchase of cattle for 15 weeks kill. Suppose if you have 20 million quid you could make a start
You may remember the last co-op in the beef industry and what happened it too, think that was down in west Waterford.

You may remember the last co-op in the beef industry and what happened it too, think that was down in west Waterford.

I also remember when Kerry Coop tried their hand in the beef processing business, they didnt last too long. Another independent factory in kerry not so long ago left owing farmers allot of money

How not to answer a question

Reading page 15 of the IFJ dated 28th June " Don O'Brien(ABP) was asked how the British retail price over the past 12 months has increased by 7% yet the price paid to the Irish farmer has reduced by more than €300 in the same period. O'Brien's explanation focused on why even if 10% of the carcase is sold into premium markets the whole carcase must meet that same premium specification. The remainder of the carcase may not be going into premium markets." Maybe I'm missing something here but surely that logic applies to all carcases, not just Irish ones, how the assembled people on the Teagasc Beef 2014 Farmer Forum let him away with that answer is unbelievable, 'tis no wonder the beef factories are getting away with the price cutting when it's that easy to pull the wool over the eyes of our so called representatives.:angry:

Reading page 15 of the IFJ dated 28th June " Don O'Brien(ABP) was asked how the British retail price over the past 12 months has increased by 7% yet the price paid to the Irish farmer has reduced by more than €300 in the same period. O'Brien's explanation focused on why even if 10% of the carcase is sold into premium markets the whole carcase must meet that same premium specification. The remainder of the carcase may not be going into premium markets." Maybe I'm missing something here but surely that logic applies to all carcases, not just Irish ones, how the assembled people on the Teagasc Beef 2014 Farmer Forum let him away with that answer is unbelievable, 'tis no wonder the beef factories are getting away with the price cutting when it's that easy to pull the wool over the eyes of our so called representatives.:angry:

It's very frustrating alright, it's all a puppet show imo.

Bit unrelated perhaps but I got a text message this am from the AA society that to get the bonus the animal has to be under 18 mths now. Goal posts are constantly shifting.

Back