Best round bale lifter

Well just thought id reply to this thread as i stack several thousand bales a year as i am a contractor who has both a roller bale squeezer and one with two paddles which grabs a bale by its side. My advice is to forget about buying the the bale handler with the paddles. For several reasons it is more expensive than the one with the rollers bales tend slip out of it, And if you squeez a bale two tight with it it damages the plastic,It is not a good idea to stack wet bales 3 high on there ends. The bale squeezer with the roller is far more versatile because you can take the rollers off and use it to carry two bales of hay or straw. It does not damage near as many bales as the other type. And stacking bales on their flat is just the best way. Very few of the farmers i stack bales for very rarely ever ask for the bales to be stacked on their ends. A new rossmore bale squeezer with rollers was 1050 euros the last time i checked.

Well just thought id reply to this thread as i stack several thousand bales a year as i am a contractor who has both a roller bale squeezer and one with two paddles which grabs a bale by its side. My advice is to forget about buying the the bale handler with the paddles. For several reasons it is more expensive than the one with the rollers bales tend slip out of it, And if you squeez a bale two tight with it it damages the plastic,It is not a good idea to stack wet bales 3 high on there ends. The bale squeezer with the roller is far more versatile because you can take the rollers off and use it to carry two bales of hay or straw. It does not damage near as many bales as the other type. And stacking bales on their flat is just the best way. Very few of the farmers i stack bales for very rarely ever ask for the bales to be stacked on their ends. A new rossmore bale squeezer with rollers was 1050 euros the last time i checked.

Ur dead right about 3 bales high with wet bales they just fall over and into each other look awful. I draw quite a few myself and i never ever use the roller tpye all hands type its way way quicker in both field and yard. If the bales are well made they wont fall through the handler it happens occasionally when the plastic is wet.

Soft hands is the boy.can stack on ends with less chance of bales subsidising if soft.
For loading and unloading on trailers also works well

I'm sure they work well but I presume you have to stack on the round.
I prefer on the ends both for trailers and the stack as it's harder to damage the end plastic and bales retain their shape better

Would soft hands not be a nightmare for damaging bales when releasing bales and trying to get away from the stack? Off topic I bought a double ducks foot handler last week for the rear of the tractor and that damaged 50% of the bales handled. It's going back Tuesday!!

Local contractors had an 'Elephant trunk' type for many many years, I think it was a Tanco. When it could take no more welding they changed to a roller type one though.

Have a nugent soft hands here main reason we bought it is for the bale trailer is too high for 3 bales high of hay/straw so we stack them on their ends and lift 2 at a time onto the trailer and off the trailer very handy and no trouble pulling spiked out of bales. We use it for wrapped bales aswell the nugent has thick bars they are 60 mm iirc which leaves it less likely to damage plastic compared to other makes no problem getting it in or out between tightly stacked bales when you get used to it. Have used a roller to stack bales on their end which was impossible without tearing them. Would of bought a trunk but we can't lift 2 at a time in hay and straw with it.

Would soft hands not be a nightmare for damaging bales when releasing bales and trying to get away from the stack? Off topic I bought a double ducks foot handler last week for the rear of the tractor and that damaged 50% of the bales handled. It's going back Tuesday!!
I have a roller type here but wouldn't consider using it since I got the soft hands.
No problem getting away from bales.
I usually release the bale then lift straight up over it before reversing. I stack all on ends.
Roller is ok Id stacking the bottom one with a trip handler then place next one on its round

Always had rollers here and never an issue. Any holes would be down to operator error as much as anything. Same can be said for any type.
We dont stack on ends though.

Roller and hands type here, if stacking hayledge on end it's the hands type every time for me, but silage sitting on the barrel we'd go for the mchale, mainly as most are drawn in wrapped so it's easier pick them off. That said if you leave a bale less on the floor of the trailer it is very easy to load and unload with the soft hand.
Never had a problem stacking them on end before we got the hands mind, just gently tip them out on top of the previous bale, after the first few you'd do it in your sleep!
Have used a tanco trunk type aswell for squares and if I could I think I'd ditch both the handlers we have for one of them, could put a full load on the trailer in either orientation with them

Roller and hands type here, if stacking hayledge on end it's the hands type every time for me, but silage sitting on the barrel we'd go for the mchale, mainly as most are drawn in wrapped so it's easier pick them off. That said if you leave a bale less on the floor of the trailer it is very easy to load and unload with the soft hand.
Never had a problem stacking them on end before we got the hands mind, just gently tip them out on top of the previous bale, after the first few you'd do it in your sleep!
Have used a tanco trunk type aswell for squares and if I could I think I'd ditch both the handlers we have for one of them, could put a full load on the trailer in either orientation with them
How do you put bales on end with a trunk type?
Push them over on the ground and re grab them?

Problem with them is the need for a decent gap between rows on the trailer. Makes everything just a bit wider.

Have the elephant trunk and wouldn't use anything else now really , on big bale numbers would load with a roller type in the field and leave the loader in the yard with the trunk to unload , only have to leave about 6 inches between bales on the bottom row and you would have a trailer loaded and unloaded in no time, your not worrying about damaging bales . It doesn't matter what way you grab the bale you won't damage the wrap, you can stack on the ends . Drop bale and just push/tip it over

May not be thinking about this right, do you not end up with the bales wide on a trailer with the trunk type as you couldn't knit them in together?

May not be thinking about this right, do you not end up with the bales wide on a trailer with the trunk type as you couldn't knit them in together?
Yup the bales would be sticking out either side on the bottom row but its fairly harmless at the same time.

We use the rollet type, find its easier to use. We had a Fleming soft hands type it literally was useless, no matter what way you went to lift the bale it couldn't muster up enough pressure to grip, on either a jd3200 or the jcb411, couldn't send it back either as it was ordered with brackets. 1000 quid, have a quickie roller now and it's working perfect no sharp corners large rollers on it which are held on in a very strong design. You may have to keep the bale off the bars at the back of it though as the bale tends to sway a ever so slightly. All in all a good handler alot better than the nugent I used for a year. Roller type was 1050euro as far as I mind

How do you put bales on end with a trunk type?
Push them over on the ground and re grab them?

Problem with them is the need for a decent gap between rows on the trailer. Makes everything just a bit wider.
Just nudge them gently or else pull back with the trunk, a quick flick to crowd as the bale comes up on balance point and the trunk moves away from the bale. And you don't need that big of a gap really, once there the bare with of roller it find its way in

Back