Big Bag Hoist

Discussion in 'Machinery Matters' started by jonny1, Feb 4, 2016.

1. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

Thinking of getting a big bag lifter to make fertiliser spreading a one man operation especially on outside farms
    From limited research it seems to be between Rossmore or Cashels anybody got any views on either make
    Will be using it with a Bogballe M2

2. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

Iv sold a few,but sold this as a complete outfit about a year ago and the owner has since removed it as he now has a teleporter
    Nice machine with hydraulic spool valve at the rear for easier use,can put you in contact with the owner if you think it suits
    Cant seem to upload the pic.

3. Ozzy Scott

Ozzy Scott Well-Known Member

I'm too late to the party, looking for one aswell but my budget is mickey mouse

4. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

@jd-baz Thanks for the info It may be a bit too far away from me but I'll keep it in mind and let you know
    Local dealer has a Cashels one in stock but it looks very heavy. Haven't asked him a price yet but I think they are around 2000 euro

5. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

ireland isnt that big....... anyway 50 euro would deliver it on a pallet with pallet express,ill try get the pic up

6. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

Ok @jd-baz if you can post up the pic I'll take a look and get back to you tomorrow

7. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

8. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

9. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

image.jpeg

towbar and bagenal like this.
  10. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

I'd like to thank @jd-baz for putting me in contact with the seller of the fertiliser crane pictured on this thread and for organising delivery of same. Both sound lads... Great strong bit of kit Streamlines our spreading no end ...now for a bit of dry weather

11. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

nicely engineered crane. Well wear @jonny1

12. Ozzy Scott

I saw a home made crane recently and when I went to get a picture of it my battery went dead, definitely a farmer spec job but it would suit most people for loading a few bags every now and again. This lad had piped it straight to the tractor and was working of incab spools. was no extending arm but you just backed into the bag and then lifted it over the spreader. All made in engineering workshop for around €700 quid I was told. Will make something similar over the next month with a ram and a few bits of scrap lying about.

13. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

Always good to hear a good news story like this and its outcome where a contact was made through the forum :Thumbp2:

jd-baz likes this.
  14. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

saving money is one thing but please dont sacrifice safety, just remember this crane has to carry the spreader and lift 500kg over your head and your spreader.

shock loads and fatigue can put more strain on the system.
    The last crane we bought was made by an Irish company beginning with R. It had a simple 1.5" bar bent into a hook for lift the bags.
    not long after getting it, i just happened to put my hand on the hook and it came away in two halves. Obviously the steel had cracked in the bending process.

i bought an expensive safety spec hook and chain from Anderco for the job.

15. Mike

Mike Member

I as actually thinking the same when I read Ozzy's post tbh. Lifting equipment is definitely not to be messed with.
    Safety issues aside, were it to break at the wrong time. your spreader could be in sh1t, negating any savings made.

jd-baz likes this.
  16. Ozzy Scott

Agreed lads, Im of the over engineering mind here to start with. Even looking at current hoists Im of the opinion that they could be designed much better so we will see, it will be fabricated by a coded welder if we go at it.

17. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

@CORK Thanks John
    Got sick of driving a loader around the country or worse still trying to find someone to drive it around the country Now if I have a bit of help we use a second spreader to speed things up which is handy in a year like this with almost zero spreading days

CORK likes this.
  18. jonny1

jonny1 Well-Known Member

@nashmach Yep this forum really opens up a lot of options Keep up the good work

19. 6600

6600 Well-Known Member

Wouldn't be a fan of those as they push back the speader a lot not to mention the weight of the hoist. We have a channel iron stand bolted to the spreader which lifts it up about a foot when on the ground and makes it easier to hook up to. Just spread with the loader tractor and drop off the spreader to load. Spreader holds 3 bags at a time. You'd have the spreader on and off again in a minute. Claws on the links have made hitching up grand and quick.

20. nashmach

nashmach Moderator

You must have great patience to be at that but to be fair to you, you did say 1.5t plus you have qui j coupling. None of which is on our butter box.

On those cranes do lads not find that they swing around quite a bit when loading and therefore a potential to damage the hopper.

They also involve more weight as 6600 says which means a bigger tractor too....

21. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

If your around you can take as many pictures and measurements of the one on the bogbelle here if you like

22. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

A fert spreader must be one of the most painfull yokes in the history of Man to put on a tractor,
    There's no swinging when loading.
    There a great job but I'm not a massive fan of lifting half a tonne directly above my arm when I'm cutting the bag.
    They do burst at times esp if it was a bag left from last year.

23. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

No swinging Nash.

The crane is an absolutely wonderful job, in our situation of only one tractor and scattered land it brings great efficiency.

24. CORK

CORK Well-Known Member

Never had a bag burst while using it either although have cut the loop on a couple of bags with sharp pallet forks.

25. Titan 8820

Titan 8820 Well-Known Member

I really dont wish to offend you but that is just pure madness , uncoupling a spreader off tractor just to fill it.
    What if you have a few days of work to do? Spend as much time putting on and off as spreading.
    The thought of doing that over a couple of hundred acres !!

towbar, 100-90DT, Blue Ray and 5 others like this.