Bog Mans Archive

017_1.jpg

016_1.jpg

018_1.jpg

Is that a lime spreader behind the horse?

I would imagine it is a type called a plate and flicker . My father converted it to a hitch and pulled it behind a van but the hitch gave way turning on the headland and Jack Hayes and the spreader ended up in the ditch . The spreader was still in the ditch when I was going the mass path to school in the 60,s .
Jack however emerged physically unscathed but steered clear of any machinery modifications my father came up with . Apparently it was like a scene from Ben Hur in the race when the horses became detached from the Chariot .

I would imagine it is a type called a plate and flicker . My father converted it to a hitch and pulled it behind a van but the hitch gave way turning on the headland and Jack Hayes and the spreader ended up in the ditch . The spreader was still in the ditch when I was going the mass path to school in the 60,s .
Jack however emerged physically unscathed but steered clear of any machinery modifications my father came up with . Apparently it was like a scene from Ben Hur in the race when the horses became detached from the Chariot .

Would it be something similar to this

http://24.154.167.53:8888/owenlea/Lime.html

Heard the old ones saying it was a terrible job for the horses with the lime burning them

I am going to put on my 'anorak' now Spanner. The tanker in the done deal ad is later than 1996 as it has the Jurop pump which they started fitting that year. I presume Bogmans pic is in the decade before that. 2 men bound sing me bought new Hi-Spec 1350s in 96. Interestingly 1 was on those at gripped 385 x 22.5s. Being pulled by a 4 wd Fiat 90-90. The other was on 533? Russiansbeing pulled by a 2 wd Zetor 8111. Both men had land in a farm that was divided by the Land Commision once, so land was very similar. If anything ever convinced me of the benefit of suitable tyres on machinery it was those 2 tankers. One would roll along behind the 2 wd in wet conditions, the other had to be dragged by the the 4 wd.
I never saw a 1300 gl Hispec, that is not to say they weren't made, and there were a popular make around here up until early 00s when local dealership closed.

Okay Nash what was the name of the horse?
018_2.jpg

There's a very similar photograph knocking around at home of my grandfather and his brother at the same job. The spreader was later fitted with a tractor drawbar and stood in a field where it was last used and unhitched for years and years. It used to be a testing obstacle to top around with a fingerbar mower when I was a young lad, because whatever thistles evaded the knife had to be cut by hand with a slash hook. The timber eventually disintegrated and the father gathered up the wheels and plates and whatever else wasn't bio-degradable. I suspect it all ended up in Hammond Lane.

I just remembered, the spreader may have expired but the instruction book lives on. I must dig it out some day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Now, tell me about that lorry [MENTION=135]Bog Man[/MENTION] . Looks almost military with that external gearbox on the rear axles

Very interesting indeed and keep up the good work!

I think you should open a gallery.

Now, tell me about that lorry [MENTION=135]Bog Man[/MENTION] . Looks almost military with that external gearbox on the rear axles

Possibly imported from the UK by Terence Kelly, of Borris, father of Maurice and Terence.
Ex US or British Army WW2. May have been on half tracks.
Ter and David Byrne travelled to the UK Auctions regularly. David brought home grey fergie's Majors and dextas. Terry brough ex Army trucks loaded with allsorts. Lots of these came in through the port in New Ross. Customs checked all of the tractors very closely but didn't know what to do with the trucks. They missed out on the loads on the back

Very interesting indeed and keep up the good work!

I think you should open a gallery.

Possibly imported from the UK by Terence Kelly, of Borris, father of Maurice and Terence.
Ex US or British Army WW2. May have been on half tracks.
Ter and David Byrne travelled to the UK Auctions regularly. David brought home grey fergie's Majors and dextas. Terry brough ex Army trucks loaded with allsorts. Lots of these came in through the port in New Ross. Customs checked all of the tractors very closely but didn't know what to do with the trucks. They missed out on the loads on the back

When General Costello was manager CSET the sugar company had a fleet of Ex army trucks spreading all sorts of Lime . They used to travel in convoy and if they were in bother one truck used to pull the other .One place I heard of they had winches tied to trees to pull them out . I never saw one with the drive on the outside of the axle probably a converted half track . The trucks used to stop at the bridge in Rathcrogue until a truck arrived that new where they were going . Some of the drivers I knew were townies and used to be facinated with the country way of life . They had great stories of neighbours fighting over rights of way and slash hooks being drawn . These guys were getting into fields when a 12 foot gate would have been unusual . They might not have known where they were going but you would certainly know where they had been .:lol::lol:

Back in the seventies a lad I knew heard there was going to be an ESB strike so he thought Generators would sell well . He went down to Ter Kellys and enquired about generators and he had seventy of them in a shed . He was going to have to get up earlier than that to be ahead of Ter .

You were fairly wealthy farmers back then even [MENTION=135]Bog Man[/MENTION] :thumbup:
You were the first gentleman farmer that the cousin was ever talking to :eek::lol:

Talking about narrow gates. Every gate on our farm was exactly 9' wide. They were hung on either solid granite piers or built up granite blocks with a lime sand mortar. Plenty for a horse and cart.

Back