Bog Mans Archive

019.jpg

022.jpg

020.jpg

021.jpg

The Liftlock and the Komag pumps were distributed by James P larkin, father of Jim and Noel Larkin, who today are one of the Kuhn distributors, and were also one of two Kverneland distributors before Murphy Machinery and then Kverneland Ireland.
The address on the two brochures in Mount Merrion was the family house. They moved the business to a premises in Francis street, in the late sixties.
James P died in 1956. His wife May ran the company until Jim (1963) and Noel (1964) finished college and joined the business.
Larkins are now (since 1976) based in Baldonnel, just off the Naas road.

Last edited:
Anyone remember Mick the Maize Murphy from Graiguenamanagh he pushed Maize in a big way with harvesters and seeders and agronomy advice all over the country . I remember seeing a Fox self propelled harvester rusting on the Quays years after .
DSCF2879.jpg

On a different note lest we ever forget this was from the Maple Leaf Canadian Army in Europe paper .
DSCF2888.jpg

DSCF2889.jpg

Victory in Europe job well done
DSCF2885.jpg

My father was wounded in Normandy and this is the Telegram my mother got
DSCF2890.jpg

Would you have joined up ?
DSCF2741.jpg

At the drop of a hat. Fair play to your father, it because of men like him that we have free speech, thought, civil rights and a democratic government in e
Europe that don't euthanasise anyone that is "different".

Posted from the Ham Bone using Crapatalk 2

I hope I would have had? But who can tell, my father was of age to join up and didn't.

He gave great service to his community and was always good for the corporal works of mercy . I always remember him for visiting my father in the nursing home when he had a bad stroke and could not communicate :thumbup:

He gave great service to his community and was always good for the corporal works of mercy . I always remember him for visiting my father in the nursing home when he had a bad stroke and could not communicate :thumbup:

Absolutely excellent posts BM, its great that you have kept all of these archives.

Most of us have no idea of suffering or fear.

I had a grandfather in the Irish army, they never saw anything like real warfare thankfully. He did a couple of tours in the Congo back in the 60's.

I have the highest respect for soldiers, regardless of nationality.

I feel so sorry for the countless Irishmen who joined the British army during WW2, the treatment they received from their fellow Irishmen makes me ashamed. They risked their lives fighting a common enemy and deserve to be treated as heroes.

I thought the series "Generation War" shown on rte2 over the past few weeks was good. As one german soldier commented - when you start, you were fighting for your country, then you were fighting for your comrades, eventually you were just fighting for yourself.

Keep up the interesting posts. :thumbup:

i often wondered how those young lads at 18 or 19 yrs of age handled flying a fighter or driving a tank after a few weeks training when the vast majority of them never were in charge of anythink other than a bike and certainly hadn,t flown or even been a passenger in a car,it would be like telling us to fly the space shuttle after a weeks training

i often wondered how those young lads at 18 or 19 yrs of age handled flying a fighter or driving a tank after a few weeks training when the vast majority of them never were in charge of anythink other than a bike and certainly hadn,t flown or even been a passenger in a car,it would be like telling us to fly the space shuttle after a weeks training
It was training more training and more training . My father signed up with the teretorials when he was at college in Toronto in maybe 1938 and he did not see action until July 1944 and did literally dozens of courses .
Accidents happened and his best friend was killed in Italy in some sort of an accident . His other friend Jim Fenlon a first cousin of Fenlon of the fighting cocks and the people in the Salmon Pool in Thomastown saw action in an Anti tank outfit all the way up through italy and then was transferred to Holland for the final assault on Germany , and when he met Russian soldiers he new there was no more German soldiers facing him after three years of a hard war . My father knew he got away light losing the top of his finger and a bang on the head and an English wife .

DSCF0401.jpg

DSCF0402.jpg

DSCF0403.jpg

the nazis pulled 13 and 14 year olds out of shelters in berlin and gave them guns to go fight the russians in the last days of the war , a police man tried to stop them and they beheaded him and paraded his head around the city as a warning to anybody that stood up to them,then people say how hard times are now

My father kept a diary and this is his entry for Christmas Eve and day in 1943 .
Rations were 54 gallons of beer and thousands of cigarettes . It was his third Christmas away from home .

002-1.jpg

001-3.jpg

A big trailer was 12ft long:thumbup:

Interesting to note on the drills that not one of those make drills any longer.

the dublin farmer who used the 4 wheel lorry body was onto something, he put the draw bar onto the steering :thumbup:

Also the lad with the cattle trailer and when his big bullock went up on his new ramp, the back of the tractor lifted off the ground :lol:

Back