Boosting phone signal in house or workshop

Discussion in 'Technology' started by jd-baz, Oct 28, 2018.

1. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

think someone asked about this before but is there a booster you can get to help signal in a house or a workshop?
    With the summer coming to an end im starting to spend more time back in the workshop and both yesterday and friday i got a few calls in the evening time and both said they had been trying me all day.
    Went about getting wifi in the workshop but haven’t it finished,have the wires in but didn’t finish it.
    Anyone using anything in a house or what would lads recommend?

2. gone

gone Well-Known Member

I have seen a few of these and may even have a Vodafone one if you want to try it, in general they only slightly improve things.
    Best way of improving loss of calls is,
    1) to change provider
    2)change phone, ( Apple are very poor, old 2G phones are best, Doro, Samsung and Nokia still do them),
    3)change the bands your phone is working on, (jumping between 2, 3 and 4G the phone can loose all signal restrict it 2G while in workshop).

3. jd-baz

jd-baz Well-Known Member

Not worried about the 3g or internet in the workshop as iv the wire ran from the house and a friend said he will be able to use the wifi from the house out in the shed,
    But if I could get the phone to ring atall it would be a help.
    But as a few have said it i must be missing calls.
    If it rang ill go outside to take the call.
    A quick google brings up boosters but curious if someone has one.

4. gone

gone Well-Known Member

Try restrict the phone to 2G while in the workshop, that might be enough to get it to ring.

5. JohnBoy

JohnBoy Well-Known Member

There's two types I'm aware of. One is from your mobile provider and plugs into the broadband basically becoming a mobile mast itself.

The second has something like a TV aerial on it to grab a weak signal which it then retransmits.

A friend had the second type with good success, he just bought it from donedeal and pkuggpl it in up in the attic

6. Mf 7715

Mf 7715 Well-Known Member

I've this one in my house zero signal in house before I installed it now full 3G signal on a iPhone https://www.mobilerepeater.co.uk/products/home-3g-signal-booster
    Very happy with it used to have a landline so I cud divert Moible calls to when I was in the house now I've no landline. However they are illegal in Ireland.

7. Agri Power

Agri Power Well-Known Member

Turn off answering service in the phone, i was missing calls aswell the phone wasnt bothering to ring only straight to answering, the whole lot are gone to fuck anyway and i'm looking stright at the main mast up in holyhill..

8. johndeere6920s

johndeere6920s Well-Known Member

Im the same id often get calls and lads saying they were trying to get through all day.
    One of the lads that works with us phone goes straight to voicemail all the time he'd ring back instantly it never rings he just gets a text saying such and such rang him

9. jay gatsby

jay gatsby Well-Known Member

Vodafone have one. Will throw it in for free if you ring and give out about signal. Plug it into 3 pin socket and away it goes. Not perfect but will let you get calls for sure

10. paddyg

paddyg Well-Known Member

Eir have WiFi calling and I find it a great Job in the house..

11. sparkey

sparkey Well-Known Member

The Vodafone suresignal is no longer available.

Most of the other boosters available are illegal here in Ireland but they do work, I have one here from :

https://www.mobilerepeater.ie/?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIm97kyYSq3gIVi7TtCh19Dg9zEAAYAiAAEgIkWPD_BwE

Vodafone were to bring out wifi calling two years ago but kept delaying the launch. I was at a meeting at work with a Vodafone business manager in relation to the company's mobile phone accounts, he has confirmed that Vodafone will launch wifi calling within 4 months. (Guarantee in writing tied into getting company mobile contract)

12. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

The power on that mast is turned down every Friday evening and back up again on Monday morning. Good friend of mine farms near it and that's what he was saying

13. Agri Power

And why's that do you know?

14. kverneland es 80

kverneland es 80 Well-Known Member

Seemingly they cut back the power on a lot of the big masts around the city's and big towns at the weekend .less calls and cutbacks I suppose

15. Agri Power

Cu_ts

kverneland es 80 likes this.
  16. MF30

MF30 Well-Known Member

I have a Vodafone sure signal box which worked well when we had a landline. The landline only gave us 1mb of internet speed so we changed to wireless broadband with a handset for making calls, now we have 20mb for the same monthly fee. Problem was the sure signal box stopped working then and when I rang Vodafone about it they said the box only works on fixed lines and not on wireless systems. Still
    have the box somewhere if you want to try it out. I then joined 3 network for my mobile phone and coverage is now fine.