Brexit

Rightly or wrongly the SF MP's were elected not to take their seats.
I don't think they would get much love if they showed up either.
My biggest fear with Brexit is a return of any sort of border. Sinn Fein are uniquely positioned to have a significant impact on this but actually seem to be sitting on the sidelines. I accept the view that they are not expected to take up their seats but look at what could be achieved if they did. I suspect they are waiting for the fallout and hope to then drive a border poll which will I fear will cause its own problems. European membership was and is a crucial element of the peace agreement that exists today and is saving us from so much needless suffering.

I have a relative that lives in NI and he voted to leave, during the time the farm payments were changed from coupled to decoupled the payments in the UK, if I remember right in the first year they were to be paid out they were up to a year late, in Ireland they might have been a few weeks late. He blamed the EU for the late payment when I think if was DEFRA that caused the problem
No it was 100% DEFRA,s fault they spent £180,000 plus, I dont recall the final figure on a computer system that didnt work. CORRECTION it was 1.8 million and over 2 now.

Last edited:
Control immigration and get our country back,
Those are very legitimate reasons to want Brexit. I suppose on this side of the pond, what we cannot understand, is why you guys would sacrifice so much in order to achieve so little. In our eyes, you guys were doing so well as an eu member. From the perspective of this forum, you guys were getting good levels of agricultural financial support from the eu.

There are many poorer areas in the UK as there are here that have high rates of unemployment and a lot of social problems. The eu was pumping money into these areas (peace money for northern Ireland being a massive example). What's going to happen to these places?

I really think that most of the goals of the brexiteers could have been achieved without Brexit and those that couldn't could have been compromised on.

Unfortunately thats not going to happen the red tape makers and enforcers have enough clout and backing to ensure that is never going to happen

Those are very legitimate reasons to want Brexit. I suppose on this side of the pond, what we cannot understand, is why you guys would sacrifice so much in order to achieve so little. In our eyes, you guys were doing so well as an eu member. From the perspective of this forum, you guys were getting good levels of agricultural financial support from the eu.

There are many poorer areas in the UK as there are here that have high rates of unemployment and a lot of social problems. The eu was pumping money into these areas (peace money for northern Ireland being a massive example). What's going to happen to these places?

I really think that most of the goals of the brexiteers could have been achieved without Brexit and those that couldn't could have been compromised on.
Dead right @muckymanor this area died when the coal mines shut the amount of EU funds pumped into this area is unreal shudder to think the kind of mess it would be without it.

how much have they spent in the area?

For the peace programme for northern ireland the total investment has been close to €1.6 billion. It has brought massive changes to the whole area both north and south of the (non existent) border.

how much have they spent in the area?
I couldnt put an accurate figure on it but it would still be a nett gain having said that I,m not disputing the figure elsewhere could be different

Last edited:
Do you think there could be more red tape instead of less? trying to get your farm produce into the EU, organise work permits for your migrant workers even bringing in a second hand tractor from France is going to be a lot more hassle.
my produce stays in this country
i dont use any migrant workers
i dont buy tractors from france

Do you think there could be more red tape instead of less? trying to get your farm produce into the EU, organise work permits for your migrant workers even bringing in a second hand tractor from France is going to be a lot more hassle.
There will be free trade

Back