Brexit

Thing is, that was very probably what his 'spin doctor' Dominic Cummings told him to say.

Johnson's loose canon bumbling boris persona is a carefully crafted artifice.
i just think its a lad talking off the cuff, to tell you the truth i just wish it was done on 31st of october one way or the other and let us get on with it rather than it dragging on for another year and costing millions in advanced planning for something that can,t be known til it happens

i just think its a lad talking off the cuff, to tell you the truth i just wish it was done on 31st of october one way or the other and let us get on with it rather than it dragging on for another year and costing millions in advanced planning for something that can,t be known til it happens

It's hard to tell really but it is classic cummings, it's called the dead cat strategy, you're loosing the argument, so you slap a dead cat on the table, and everyone stops talking about how you're losing the argument and starts talking about the fact that there's a (metaphorical) dead cat in front of them instead. for instance boris rambling on about making model buses from wine boxes, which coincidentally, apparently got his infamous £350M for the NHS bus lie off the top of the first page of google search results for boris + bus.

Also, the only way to get this over with is to revoke article 50 and we all promise never to speak of this madness again. leaving without a deal would be only the beginning, it would take a good 10 years to sort the mess out, no deal is a misnomer, the day after we leave we will be going cap in hand to the EU to try and strike a deal with them, and they'll say 'yeah, no problem, but first can we have our £39M and a solution to the Irish border problem please?' .

if you think you're sick of hearing about brexit now, you will be by the time it's finished.

This is worth the time to read it as it sums up how Johnson's bumbling persona is an affectation:

https://reaction.life/jeremy-vine-my-boris-story/
Or a man that can think on his feet . I think we all know the bumbling personality of boris or what we've seen of him in the past . People age, mature,learn. Make mistakes , learn from them etc . We're probably all thinking how the f did he manage to get to the position he in now 10 years ago we were all looking at him as a muppet bit now hes been London mayor and now PM and we're all wondering how it happened but hes in there and making waves, I dont see anybody else doing it . I think everybody wants a deal remainers and brexiteers alike , boris is taking the hard line threating no deal which is the only thing he's got to negotiate with. No deal isn't ideal but we will get there eventually maybe 10 or 20 years down the line. Obviously medical supplies is your biggest issue , bit how come our friends in the EU arnt negotiating to keep the medical supplies running ? At the end of the day money talks and theres a market so why isn't it getting negotiated , is it because the Europeans keep throwing in pish about back stoppes to keep us part of the EU instead of getting on with negotiations to keep trade going ?

bojo does look like he has a bumbling personality but have to remember he became mayor of london and now pm which quite clearly outsmarted someone to become pm. he aint as stupid as me (i dont think anyone can take that from me). all this bs thats happening in parliament might be setting up a much bigger plan for all we know

No deal isn't ideal but we will get there eventually maybe 10 or 20 years down the line.

I don't remember seeing that one the side of a bus when they were trying to sell this shit to us before the referendum. it was all sunlit economic uplands back then. You had a slim majority for £350M a week for the NHS and the easiest deal in history, now we've moved the goal posts to 'not quite as bad as being bombed by the Luftwaffe', do you really still think it's what the majority want?

Obviously medical supplies is your biggest issue , bit how come our friends in the EU arnt negotiating to keep the medical supplies running ?

Because this is our problem, we chose to do this, you threaten to hit your thumb with a hammer, i may well try to talk you out of it, i'll probably offer you some paracetamol afterwards but i'm not going to put my thumb in the way of the hammer so you can hit that instead. Mrs May chose to negotiate a WA that involves us giving notice to quit the single market and customs union and ending freedom of movement, (Nb, we could satisfy the ref result by leaving the political union but staying in the SM and CU), and the deal the EU offered her is what a deal on the basis of those red lines looks like, you can't expect them to sacrifice the integrity of the single market, or feck over a remaining member, Ireland, to solve a domestic political problem of a member that is leaving.

There is only so much ground they can give, you go to the dealer to buy a new tractor, you can screw him down on the price and get a few extras thrown in but he's not going to sell it to you and make a loss, he can only go so low, and even if you sit in his reception punching yourself in the face while shouting 'that'll show 'em', he won't change his mind, even if you do end up getting blood on his carpet.

I think everybody wants a deal remainers and brexiteers alike , boris is taking the hard line threating no deal which is the only thing he's got to negotiate with

I'd agree with you that boris is not a complete idiot, so i doubt he could possibly believe that the EU will budge on this, I would suspect the no deal brinkmanship is more for the benefit of parliament than the EU, he knows the EU can't budge, but parliament might accept some cosmetic alteration to May's deal as the least worst option if he had them over a barrel with no deal as the only alternative.

I do wonder if he'll go for an NI only backstop, the EU and Ireland would go for that, it was their suggestion in the first place, and it puts the border in the Irish sea, so doesn't jeopardise the Belfast Agreement.

this is in tomorrow's telegraph, i saw it on another forum, it's from Civitas, a conservative think tank.

"The best way to break the deadlock would be to offer to carry out additional customs checks at the Irish Sea instead of at the border between Northern Ireland and Ireland. Such checks could be carried out without threatening the constitutional status of Northern Ireland as part of the UK...

...Parliament is dominated by reactionary Remainers who have shown no scruples in their efforts to undermine Brexit. We must break the deadlock in the negotiations and the simplest way would be to accept additional checks at the ports and airports of Northern Ireland. If we don’t we could still be in the EU in a year’s time, and possibly forever."

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/07/bo
ris-can-break-eu-customs-deadlock-flipping-mays-irish-weakness/?

If that's not softening up the Telegraph readership to abandon the DUP in exchange for 'getting Brexit done' I don't know what it is.

What's wrong with them?
More importantly what's wrong with the article?
Journalism in the UK, or rather perception of journalism is quite polarising. Newspapers themselves are regarded to have a political position. The Times and the telegraph would be regarded as right of center and would have publicly supported the Conservative Party in the last election.

The guardian would be regarded as being to the left of the spectrum and would have supported the Labour party at the last election.

I've never found any Irish newspapers to be politically biased, but if the last two years are anything to go by, we have a better handle on our politics than our neighbours across the water.

Journalism in the UK, or rather perception of journalism is quite polarising. Newspapers themselves are regarded to have a political position. The Times and the telegraph would be regarded as right of center and would have publicly supported the Conservative Party in the last election.

The guardian would be regarded as being to the left of the spectrum and would have supported the Labour party at the last election.

I've never found any Irish newspapers to be politically biased, but if the last two years are anything to go by, we have a better handle on our politics than our neighbours across the water.
I am aware, just want to see @headcase give an answer :Thumbp2:

Thats fair enough, but it always makes me smile the way Brexiteers will never accept any negative comment towards Brexit.
I mean there are people supporting Boris, that were he not pro brexit, would vilify him!
I would be of the opinion that Brexit is an act of madness, but If Boris was heading up the remain side, I would still think he is a loony.

What did you think of news over here the last few months when you were here

What did you think of news over here the last few months when you were here
The only news I'd have got was on Radio 1 in the tractor. Didn't give it too much thought tbh but it was a good way of keeping up to date with current affairs. Bbc often gets a bad rap here, or in this thread at least. I thought them to be fairly balanced. Having said that, I'd feel radio 1 was very much geared to the youth in its broadcasting as a whole. I get the impression radio 2 would take a more serious view with news.

Never watched news on the TV because I had very little time to watch TV.

I got on very well with the boss. We discussed brexit a bit one night he asked me over for dinner the first week or two I was there. He had a relaxed attitude to it. Very much a see how it goes attitude, but was of the opinion the EU did nothing for the UK. His children were around my age and voted remain.

after stumbling across a vid about the BBC pro remain stance. after the news of bojo proroguing parliament, BBC 2 cut to the breaking news. they had 13 remoaners all on one after the other in a row and no brexiteer in sight. the guy that made the video made a complaint to the BBC about it saying that he us paying a tv license for biased news at this point. BBC replied to him saying that they are not obliged to balance remain and leave views. cheek of them if u ask me

edit: found the vid

after stumbling across a vid about the BBC pro remain stance. after the news of bojo proroguing parliament, BBC 2 cut to the breaking news. they had 13 remoaners all on one after the other in a row and no brexiteer in sight. the guy that made the video made a complaint to the BBC about it saying that he us paying a tv license for biased news at this point. BBC replied to him saying that they are not obliged to balance remain and leave views. cheek of them if u ask me

edit: found the vid
Too many years of inward breeding

If only it were a facebook meme rather than an article in the guardian, he might believe it then.

I bemused as to why the brexiteers think cummings is such a great bunch of lads. I thought they were against being told what to do by unelected bureaucrats.

Last edited:
Back