Brexit

It could just mean that Boris wants advisers and ministers he can trust. Javid was a leadership contender after all and wasn't sitting beside Boris yesterday so it might not be as big a shock as we're told. This is the same Treasury from where Operation Yellowhammer came from, which was really OperationstayintheEUforever. Cummings has long said that Whitehall and the Cabinet Office setup needs to change and put people of real ability in and run the government like a business with clear targets and structures. This is not good news for civil service Sir Humphrey types who like to keep their Ministers busy while they get on with running the country. At about 31 mins here he outlines what he would do if ever in a position to change Whitehall. This is from 2014 so he's been coming a long time.

I still can't make Boris out.

Is he a genius or did he sell his soul to the devil just to get into downing street.

And is Cummings not just a real Sir Humphrey with a different agenda. An unelected official who's really running the show

At 36:40 he's on about the Treasury. What he says about their accounting system is definitely correct. Governments use the cash system which is the same as you would use for the agm of your local parish council etc and only recognise income/expenses when they are received/paid. They might throw in the odd provision at the year end but that's about it. This is way open to manipulation. This is why we will have a budget for next year at the start of October before the third quarter figures of this year are finalised.

Is he a genius or did he sell his soul to the devil just to get into downing street.

And is Cummings not just a real Sir Humphrey with a different agenda. An unelected official who's really running the show

I don't know, if he really is a genius he'll get rid of Cummings once he's no longer useful. He's coming a long time too. Watch what his father says here @ 54min in this tv programme about him from 2014. There was a push from somewhere to put him there. I think his father was some sort of spy/diplomat/MI5 type. He's an interesting character too!

A lot of what Cummings says makes sense. Thing is that he's from an engineering background and the type of otherwise unemployable people that get into government departments with sociology degrees hate him with a passion.

Poor call sacking Julian Smith though, first time anyone was in that position who had got serious traction from both sides and now axed.

There is a 3rd option.
In my opinion he is a lazy bluffer who has gotten away so far on his wit, charm and looks, that in ordinary times would never have risen so high.

Poor call sacking Julian Smith though, first time anyone was in that position who had got serious traction from both sides and now axed.
The DUP no longer had the balance of power in the Commons so had to do as they were told, plus there was the promise of more money for NI and their electorate were sick of their carry on. They had no choice. He must have done something horrendous to lose that job though :lol:

There is a 3rd option.
In my opinion he is a lazy bluffer who has gotten away so far on his wit, charm and looks, that in ordinary times would never have risen so high.

Being Britain’s prime minister is much the same as being Carlow’s top Tillage farmer.

There is a 3rd option.
If he was an Independent financial adviser and I had money to invest he would be well down the list of options, kind sums him up for me.

Here's the bit I don't get, how did anyone think that the UK was going to leave Europe and give up Northern Ireland, cause essentially that's what this would amount to.
I'm not a unionist of any kind neither british or European but I could at least see that they would be conceding their own territory to the EU.
Britain :" we want to leave to take control over ourselves again"
EU : " yea ok but not this bit...."
We are steam rolling head first into a European super state, where are the republicans in Ireland now?

Here's the bit I don't get, how did anyone think that the UK was going to leave Europe and give up Northern Ireland, cause essentially that's what this would amount to.
I'm not a unionist of any kind neither british or European but I could at least see that they would be conceding their own territory to the EU.
We are steam rolling head first into a European super state, where are the republicans in Ireland now?
Martin Mehole, he of the Republican Party is quoted as saying he wanted nothing to do with old fashioned ideas like national sovereignty.
Mr. Varadkar says that he is a federalist on EU issues.
We're in trouble. The devaluation of sterling making them more competitive will do the damage, along with our politicians not insisting on a free-trade agreement between our two countries which has been in place since 1922, the EU can only take this away because our politicians let them.

Last edited:

they’re in the bookies now around here since the pubs are shut.

we've just changed who our masters are.

To be fair. That's the point - We chose to change for to try to better our way of life and Economic standing. I don't agree with all of what we did. Everything British was imposed on us and we had little choice. My biggest problem with all of this is that it appears to be removing our option to trade with Britain. We should be able to choose to have a free trade agreement with Britain. As farmers, I feel that we need the British more than we need the EU. But the EU don't need us so they'll pawn us off against the British.

The only reason for the backstop is because Ireland wanted to not have a customs border on the island. if we'd have been ok with a customs border the EU would never have asked for the backstop.

This isnt the evil machinations of the EU super state trying to steal territory from the UK, it was the EU siding with one of it's smallest members.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, the DUP f*cked this up royally. if they'd played their cards right they could have ended up in a best of both worlds situation, they held the balance of power in westminster, they could have had the ear of the Taoiseach whenever they wanted it. but instead Ulster just said no. again.

Think you are proving my point. Anyone bitching about the British but upholding the EU are nothing but hypocrites. It's the exact same situation, we've just changed who our masters are.

Are you seriously equating being a colony of the British Empire with being a member of the EU?

Back