Bruceythom's pictures thread......

Our feed auger drops the feed down a chute that isn't directly connected to the end of the auger so if a cow or anything gets a hold of it it doesn't pull the auger. How is it meant to meter the feed, ours is done on time, it runs the auger for however long it needs.

the auger system looks poor enough tbh,the bracketing is shocking for a new build,the rest of the job looks very impressive ,i like the mineral setup, we put it through the water here and whilst a super job i think the minerals themselves are very extensive

Yea, well if cow no. 833 doesn't soon pull it down, I will!! Don't think this guy will get more work from Waikato, he'll get nó more here anyway! Yea, going to go with the cheapest(ish) mineral here

Our feed auger drops the feed down a chute that isn't directly connected to the end of the auger so if a cow or anything gets a hold of it it doesn't pull the auger. How is it meant to meter the feed, ours is done on time, it runs the auger for however long it needs.

Sounds sensible alright. Currently the feeder is run on a timer, but an arse was made of it so the trigger switch is held open far too long, the least I can set it to is 1.4kgs which isn't a problem at the minute, but would like to get that down to 200grammes. Also it was meant to not feed an empty bale, and it does, and it regularly happens that if the platform stops with the switch open, one cow gets a hoor of a big feed. I think I may have to put on a variable speed drive to achieve the low rate feeding.

Sounds sensible alright. Currently the feeder is run on a timer, but an arse was made of it so the trigger switch is held open far too long, the least I can set it to is 1.4kgs which isn't a problem at the minute, but would like to get that down to 200grammes. Also it was meant to not feed an empty bale, and it does, and it regularly happens that if the platform stops with the switch open, one cow gets a hoor of a big feed. I think I may have to put on a variable speed drive to achieve the low rate feeding.
Hav you seen such a setup before?I'd say it will be tricky enough to achieve 200 grams of a feed out to each cow,sher one auger rotation must nearly give that then it needs to be timed into each trough as the cows revolve below sounds tricky enough to get right

Hav you seen such a setup before?I'd say it will be tricky enough to achieve 200 grams of a feed out to each cow,sher one auger rotation must nearly give that then it needs to be timed into each trough as the cows revolve below sounds tricky enough to get right

Yes, it's common enough, they can feed down to 100 grammes a feed in places! . If it was feeding 1.4kgs in 3 seconds, in 1 second it would feed 450grammes, then you just need to lower the speed so it was was to run at quarter speed and I'd be on 100 grammes ish. If I could feed down to 200grammes a feed, I'd be very happy.

Yes, it's common enough, they can feed down to 100 grammes a feed in places! . If it was feeding 1.4kgs in 3 seconds, in 1 second it would feed 450grammes, then you just need to lower the speed so it was was to run at quarter speed and I'd be on 100 grammes ish. If I could feed down to 200grammes a feed, I'd be very happy.
feck that's impressive as low as 100g who sells that? Hopefully varying the speed will sort yours out, would using a smaller auger reduce the feed out rate by enough or would it only cause it to block up maybe?

feck that's impressive as low as 100g who sells that? Hopefully varying the speed will sort yours out, would using a smaller auger reduce the feed out rate by enough or would it only cause it to block up maybe?
A smaller auger would mean that it wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace of you were feeding a high rate of meal.

A smaller auger would mean that it wouldn't be able to keep up with the pace of you were feeding a high rate of meal.
That's true I never thought of that!nice to see how it all came together anyway thanks for keeping us updated with the pictures ☺

Ours can go down to 100g a cow, ours doesnt actually drop direct into the troughs. It drops into a small box then when the stall is below it opens the flap and lets it go. Ours is a gea auger and controls

Back