Budget 2018 Ireland

why does this government seem hell bent on helping lads borrow more money, thats what got the housing market into trouble but most of those lads had nothing to lose but farmers have a lot of assets to gamble with

I saw an agri consultant saying during the year that Irish farmers should be borrowing more. In particular, dairy guys.

What could possibly go wrong ?

If Im not mistaken, the low interest loans were specifically to help sectors impacted by Brexit? Which is kind of puzzling as I can't imagine businesses facing ruin due to loss of markets going looking for loans to invest more into their business?

Its hard to know what is going to affect farmers as there are some things which will be on the finance bill and other things on other bills after the finance bill. The stamp duty thing is a fair blow for lads transferring farms from now on so there may be a change on that before long.

You are right that the main headline was the loans for agri businesses but there was also 25m allocated specifically for another round of the low cost farming loans similar to before.

I saw an agri consultant saying during the year that Irish farmers should be borrowing more. In particular, dairy guys.

He should visit Denmark.....

Remember the term "underborowed " was starting to be bandied about during the Celtic tiger.

remember eddie hobbs at the macra meeting telling farmers to leverage their assets and buy shares and property in cape verde :curse:, he,s still out there spoofing out of him

remember eddie hobbs at the macra meeting telling farmers to leverage their assets and buy shares and property in cape verde :curse:, he,s still out there spoofing out of him

I alway feel that if these moguls were so gifted at making money, then they would be doing just that instead of spouting.

I think most farmers have a fair idea of what they are comfortable with owing.

I can’t imagine anyone needs advice to borrow more.

The banks do not give a whistling damn once they get either their profit (interest) or the assets should things turn sour.

There’s more to life than trying to be the biggest farmer in your patch, such as minding your mental health and wanting to preserve that which your ancestors built up.

Hadn't Eddie great advice :rolleyes2: when lots of easy money was around? Actually there wasn't a pub anywhere at the time that didn't have its own Eddie Hobbs-guess where most of them are now though... it's a sure thing they'd say.
MF30

I used go down to Limerick in January every year to a farmer conference and I was trying to think what they used call the leveraging of assets.

Sweating your assets!

Id say there was a good few lads doing a lot of sweating for the last 10 years alright.

So Minister Creed doesn't know fact......
The increase in commercial stamp duty from 2% to 6% announced in Budget 2018 will not affect agricultural land, the Minister for Agriculture, Food and the Marine, Michael Creed, has stated.

While announcing a major suite of budget measures designed to help farmers, fishermen and food SME’s navigate Brexit, and advance growth objectives of Food Wise 2025, the minister was quick to dismiss claims that a 4% increase in the stamp duty on non-residential property will hit farmers.

“We need to nail this one because I’ve seen some commentary on social media. The increase in stamp duty does not apply to agricultural land,” he said.

This whole thing is an example of where we are heading in this country.

The importance of rural Ireland is slowly declining in terms of voting.

When you have the likes of an urbanite like Varadkar getting the PM's job, it represents a gradual slippage towards what they have in the UK, Germany etc - those countries where those in power are more worried about facebook anti-modern agri campaigns and dole payments than the survival of the rural communities.

Was just talking to a farmer friend and we both agreed that one would be well minded to take advantage of any farming grants now as the Irish Government will be less interested in future and with a potential tighter EU budget post Brexit meaning that farming will get less funds.

This whole thing is an example of where we are heading in this country.

The importance of rural Ireland is slowly declining in terms of voting.

When you have the likes of an urbanite like Varadkar getting the PM's job, it represents a gradual slippage towards what they have in the UK, Germany etc - those countries where those in power are more worried about facebook anti-modern agri campaigns and dole payments than the survival of the rural communities.

Was just talking to a farmer friend and we both agreed that one would be well minded to take advantage of any farming grants now as the Irish Government will be less interested in future and with a potential tighter EU budget post Brexit meaning that farming will get less funds.
They were talking about a 10% drop infarm supports. That will be on top of 2 rounds of modulation and probably another one on the way and 15 or 16years of inflation eating away at our BFP. It must be worth about half of what it was worth when it came about first day and thats befoer you add in all the extra stuff we have todo for complianse.

I could agree with a 10% cut but only if there was a 20 or 30% cut in complianse costs.

Ha, Id say thats very likely:drunk:

Coming up to budget day again and reading between the lines all I see is an increase in carbon tax, maybe some of the usual threat of a big increase then apply a slightly lesser rate so people feel they had a let off.

Ah ya the old trick of giving pensioners a fiver extra a week then take double back off them in carbon tax. Whats the increase in carbon tax going to be?

We will get €5 a week back due to a reduction in USC. Probably cost a tenner in increased car tax.
Not going to rant because it'll get me nowhere. I'm just going to find a way to be more tax efficient.

We will get €5 a week back due to a reduction in USC. Probably cost a tenner in increased car tax.
Not going to rant because it'll get me nowhere. I'm just going to find a way to be more tax efficient.

My read of it exactly. I see very little in it either for agriculture.

At 40 euro per cow we'll be rolling in it. Just wait till you see the hoops that will have to be jumped through to get it. Typical Irish government scheme announced with fanfare and then made too difficult for many to participate in
Just weighing cows and calves i think. Weighing scale thats Available to borrow from local co-ops

No carbon tax and not much else either, we are not even keeping up with inflation, the people that gained most today are the ones that do the least.

All a damp squib really, little about nothing.

We can thank successive governments for their inability to get a grip on the health service for the low decreases in tax. I don't know what will happen there in the next recession :no:

And at the end of the day, we are only now balancing the books :no::no:

Back